PDA

View Full Version : FFXI Require alot of time?

Glendon
10-24-2004, 03:15 PM
I have always loved the Final Fantasy games and really just Square games in general. However, after a good 3-4 year Everquest binge I am reluctant to get into another MMORPG.

Does FFXI trap you into hours upon hours of gameplay just to get anywhere? I cannot play as much as I used to, looking for maybe 2 hour runs at most, maybe 3 if I'm having a blast.

Lionx
10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Keyword: Its a timesink >>

Roogle
10-24-2004, 06:30 PM
If you only want to play for two hours at a time, you're probably not going to get very far for a very long time. It requires many, many hours.

Ichy
10-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Yes, Lionx summed it up with 2 words. This game is a time sink, it's designed as one to keep you playing over and over again. The upside is that it is freakin awesome. It's like crack, once you start you won't know what to do with yourself when you're not playing. (ok... embellishing... but I'm on a super good day high kick sorta thing, sue me).

Seriously, though, this game will be nice and casual for your 1st 10-12 lvls... then you'll be looking @ a 3+ hr commitment every logon. The alternative, of course, is City of Heroes (dumbed down retard clone of Anarchy Online), Ragnarok Online (fun for a few minutes till you realise that you can play till endgame with just the mouse alone), ect. Yeah, I'm being biased, I've been FFXI brainwashed for the past year... Still, it is an amazing game, support is exceptional, content is moving faster than the players (there is always something new to do).

If you're looking for a game you can log into for an hour or so and feel like you've actually accomplished something, then FFXI is not for you. Otherwise, if you want a game that is actually worth the money you put into it (that is so weak, it's worth FAR more) and you're not afraid to put a few more hours into it, then welcome aboard!

*cough*come to Midgardsormr and join EventHorizon *cough* :P

Glendon
10-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Does progression require massive coordination like EQ? (Like 50+ people online).

I think one of the main aspects of EQ that left a bad taste in my mouth is the amount of players needed, and dependancy on certain classes to do anything. If you have 30 guild members (clan members) online with no clerics (healing class), your pretty much screwed for the night unless 3 or more log on. Not to mention the huge gap in the player base. My friend who got me into it got so far ahead of me that it was impossible, or impractical for us to group together because either he had access to areas I wasn't even close to, or his gear, and the gear of his peers was so superior that I could not pull my weight in the group, even at the same level.

Anyway, enough whining about EQ, this is an FF community afterall. Perhaps the FF time sinks aren't nearly as horrifying, maybe even enjoyable. Only one way to find out I suppose, and thats to purchase the game :P

p.s. Is there a Ranger class?

Citizen Bleys
10-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Yes, there's a ranger class, but rangers and ninja bleed gil

Rostum
10-25-2004, 12:09 AM
If you don't want to be sucked in for 4+ hours each day, I wouldn't bother. :p

Lionx
10-25-2004, 04:15 AM
There is the horrific thing of not having a certain class can affect exp gained..but more often as lvls progress you can replace a few in certain parts of the party. Like RDM instead of WHM, or WAR instead of PLD.

Glendon
10-25-2004, 09:01 AM
:(

Back to consoles/FPS for me.

KentaRawr!
11-01-2004, 02:27 PM
I will give the best explenation of this game I can.

1. Battle system. This is alot like Ragnarok! You select "Attack" and then watch your character attack the enemy.. But there are also many skills to keep it from being luck based. Weapon skills! As you attack more, you learn skills for whatever weapon you were using, to use a Weapon skill, the Technique Point bar must fill up to a certain point first. Magic! You buy Magic from the store >_> Once you get to a certain level, you'll be able to use the "Scroll" of Magic you baught. Skill Chains and Magic Bursts! Skill Chains and Magic Bursts are created when you and your group select certain weapon skills and Magic at the right time. (Note, there are three types of magic, Red, Black, and White. I will explain more about this later) Job Abilities! Every job gets job abilities. As you level up you automaticly get more job abilities. Pet Commands! These are commands only Beast Masters and Summoners can use. This command makes your Pet Attack, Retreat, and stuff like that.

2. Jobs! As you can guess, there will be many jobs in this game, First up is...

Warrior! You would probobly think "All warriors are Muscle Heads!" but actually, they are usually used for Defense, because they get the ability "Provoke", which makes the enemy hate the Warrior, making the Enemy go towards the Warrior.

Monk! Just like other FF games, the Monk uses His or Her fists to attack. They can attack twice since they have two fists.

White Mage! If you have EVER Played an FF game, its obvious what White Mages do.. They heal, Cast spells that improve stats, get hammers, (Don't ask...) and in FFXI..alot of them are rude ;-; (Except me HAHAHAHAHA)

Black Mage! Once again, this should be obvious. Black Mages Deal damage, Cast spells that cause status effects, get Daggers (Don't ask...) And alot of them are really Polite! ^_^

Red Mage! These mages get three types of spells! Red, White, and Black. (basically they only get Black and White, but I say Red Magic because they get White magic and Black magic that no one else gets) these Mages also use Swords quite alot, and some slightly better armor. Sadly though...since they are so balanced, they are usually yelled at by fools who only care about the game saying "YOU DO THIS! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!" Poor Red Mages... ;-;

Thief! They may be called Thieves, but you never really see them stealing stuff. Thieves get the Abilities Trick Attack and Sneak Attack (usually called SATA) These abilities can cause major damage if done correctly!

3. Advanced Jobs! Ok...at Level 30 you can get Special jobs called "Advanced Jobs" ...sounds like Ragnarok >_> Anyways, here are the Advanced Jobs!

Paladin! Defense at its best! Not much Attack power though.. Paladins get Alot of defense, Some White Magic, great armor, and huge swords!! ^_^

Dark Knight! Opposite of Paladin 99%. Lots of Attack power, low defense, some black magic, but heres what is the same about the two...Awsome armor and huge swords!

Ninja! Ninja's can Throw items, use 2 swords, and many Ninja techniques! yay!

Samurai! Huge 2 handed swords, TP (Technique Points) bar fills up quick, and im assuming lots of attack power! ^_^

Dragoon! I like the Dragoon, they use Spears, jump high into the air, and can summon a Baby Wyvern every 2 Hours (note, the Wyvern will stay with you until he/she dies. Then when the 2 hours pass, you can summon him/her again)

Summoners! These Mages get tons of MP!! And of course, they can summon many beasts >=) (1 at a time, sadly =<)

Beast Masters! The only FF Game with a Beast Master that I know of besides XI is FFTA. (allthough the Mediator in FFT could trick beasts into joining you, too) Beast Masters can trick beasts into joining them >=) for a limited time, though. Also, less EXP, so Beast Masters don't join forces with other people alot.

Rangers! Rangers are like Archers, except they can use guns too. lol. Almost every job can use Bows, but Rangers can use Weapon Skills with them. *they can also use weapon skills with Guns* Also they can use ALL bows and ALL Guns. So rangers are the long range job ^_^

KentaRawr!
11-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Continuing my explenation lol.

4. World Map! The World Map in this game is way different from other FF Games, I consider the World Map to be all the outdoor areas. Allthough there are no more random battles. (crowd goes silent) Instead, monsters are travelling on the world map, too. So its either You attack the monster, or the monster attacks you.

5. Cities and Towns! Alot like other FF games, there are huge cities, and small towns. In these towns and cities there are Air Ships, that you can take to get to the Cities. And Boats, that go from Selbina to Mhaura. (or the other way around)

There are Four Major cities. Windurst, Bastok, Sandoria, and Jeuno. You can start in Windurst, Bastok, or Sandoria. But later on you can go to Jeuno.

6. The Races of Vana'Diel! Before I go on, Vana'diel is the continent your in.

Taru Taru! These little guys use tons of Magic! Not much Attack or Defense though. Taru Taru are usually found in Windurst.

Mithra! This is the race that is made up of Cat Women >_> Lots of people wonder where the Males are.. Anyways, the Mithra have High speed and Dexterity. They are usually found in Windurst.

Galka! This is the race that is made up of people in the hulk costumes. This is the Male only race. Not much MP, but lots of Defense! Usually found in Bastok.

Hume! This race is made up of Humans. >_> This is the most Balanced Race. The Humes (Why didn't square just call them Humans!?) are usually found in Bastok.

Elvaan! Really tall Elves that are snobby beyond reason. Very high attack power! usually found in Sandoria.

7. Quests and Missions! Missions are taken from gate houses around your home country (sandoria, bastok, and windurst may be countries but they are pretty small..) As you do more missions, your rank goes up! Quests are given to you by people who can't do stuff themselves. (NPC's)

8. Conquest Points! Conquest points are given to you if you have killed beasts while signet was cast on you. To get signet you talk to the Gaurd by the Gatehouse. You can spend Conquest Points on rank items ^_^ (You spend them at the same place you got Signet). Also while you have Signet, Crystals will be dropped by enemies.

9. Crystals and Crafting! There are many types of Crafting, Weaving, Cooking, Smithing...and many more! But to craft you need crystals, and the appropriate parts you need to create the item! (look above to find out how to get crystals)

10. Servers! There are many Servers. (or worlds) To get on a certain server, youll need a world pass at the beginning of the game. If you don't have one, the Server you land on is Random.

FINALLY IM DONE TYPING! if you don't use this guide...I know where you live.... :chop: Just kidding, of course.

Lionx
11-02-2004, 02:20 AM
WARs ARE Muscle heads if you know how to equip them, they are the RDM of the melee field, and if geared right they can tank and attack and change roles quickly, which is why WARs can do upward to 2K dmg if they are equipped right and can soak dmg like a PLD with the proper sub and gear.

MNK- Damage over time / Bone killer

THF- Hate controller..and they do Steal...just some mobs dont drop items ><

White Mage! If you have EVER Played an FF game, its obvious what White Mages do.. They heal, Cast spells that improve stats, get hammers, (Don't ask...) and in FFXI..alot of them are rude ;-; (Except me HAHAHAHAHA)

Black Mage! Once again, this should be obvious. Black Mages Deal damage, Cast spells that cause status effects, get Daggers (Don't ask...) And alot of them are really Polite! ^_^

*hopes your jk..*..else...*stab* O.o :P BLM get scythes, daggers are just..there i guess.

Ninja! Ninja's can Throw items, use 2 swords, and many Ninja techniques! yay!

They throw shurikens which are very expensive..not many NINs get them, they also use Ninjutsu to tank and enfeeble(get hate). They are tankers..not atks >> Not usually anyway.

Samurai! Huge 2 handed swords, TP (Technique Points) bar fills up quick, and im assuming lots of attack power! ^_^

They actually lack alot of atk power later..their power is be able to make multiple skillchains for more dmg over all.

Mission = Story
Quest = Mini-side thingier

Meh he said he isnt going to play..the main reason is..its alot of time and if your busy..you obviously cant play this to what you would like by any conventional means =/

Brian The Pink Shark
11-20-2004, 05:36 PM
yes it takes bloody ages, i just had to wait a whole week before i could get a party for a certain mission :choc:

Lionx
11-20-2004, 07:28 PM
yes it takes bloody ages, i just had to wait a whole week before i could get a party for a certain mission :choc:

Psst..get a LS! ><

Brian The Pink Shark
11-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Psst..get a LS! ><

lol i do but it aint very big, all the members where either too low a rank or didnt have the right level of armour :choc:

pooter7799
11-22-2004, 11:21 PM
this game is a time consumer, but it is well worth it (if u dont have siblings or parents who whine about how much time u spend playing it) there are a great variety of jobs u can choose (i am a theif and they are AWESOME) and u can also be 2 jobs at the same time to share the benefits of both.