PDA

View Full Version : Similar Games

Ragnarok
10-25-2004, 04:05 AM
I was kind of wondering if anyones knows of any games that are similar to FFT besides to Ogre Battle series games.

Zifnab
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Vandal Hearts, Vandal Hearts II and Disgaea are all pretty decent ones.

TheAbominatrix
10-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Aww, you took all my answers.

There's also La Pucelle Tactics, and soon there will be Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. The GBA version is a tactics game. Oh! Fire Emblem, also for GBA. That's an awesome game.

Chris
10-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Bahamut Lagoon.

Edit: and partially Koudelka.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Phantom Brave is Nippon Ichi's latest strategy game, Nippon Ichi being the makers of Disgaea and La Pucelle: Tactics.

Average_Samurai
10-30-2004, 12:04 AM
The Shining Force Series for Genesis. However, I donīt like them as much as many of the other games already mentioned, and FFT is my favorite, story or otherwise.

The Amazing Spiderman
10-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Yeah, koudelka in some way reminded me FFT.

Well...Onimusha tactics for GBA comes to my mind, but there's no jobs there.

Ragnarok
10-30-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm not looking for something with classes so much, although it would be very nice, but just something with the same battle strategy type as tactics.Which one of these games do you think would be most similar in that aspect?

The Amazing Spiderman
10-31-2004, 03:26 AM
Maybe you should really try Onimusha tactics, I found it somehow like tactics.

Here are some things of the game:

- you can control eight units per battle.
- there are some "battle conditions", like "save XXX" and "Beat XXX up"
- The characters have unique technique combinations (some may have the same techs, but they have some different ones, thats what I mean)
- About 24 characters (you can't hire, they join your party), but all kind-of-unique.
- I would say that the only classes are: Samurai, Ninja, spearman, swordsman, Club and axe users, archers.
- OK graphics.

As you see, it can compare to FFT. If you can't find the GBA rom, you can PM me, and I can give it to you.

Ragnarok
11-01-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking about just going out and buying a GBA, it seems almost worth it with how many good games are being produced on that system.

Stimpy141
11-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Vanguard Bandits is kind of like Gundam Wing meets Final Fantasy Tactics o.O

But... I've never found a game similar or just any game period that comes close to being as good as tactics

The Amazing Spiderman
11-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Oh yeah, Vanguard bandits, good game, but hard to find.

This one isn't like FFT, but but is a great strategy game.

*Above post* That's why FFT owns.

dodhungry
11-11-2004, 04:11 AM
Hoshigami Running Blue Earth is very similar to tactics but sucks the biggen.

feioncastor
12-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Maybe Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? Eh?

hehehe, it's a pretty good game, but nothing compared to the original. No game will ever top Final Fantasy Tactics. Ever. FFTA is a bit more watered down, as in, less abilities, and more of a FF9-style ability learning system, rather than the save up JP and spend them on what you want. But even so, FFTA is a pretty good game. Well worth playing through a few times.

Vandal Hearts is a good one, so is Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle. Give them a try.

Feion

Fantasy_Dragon
12-11-2004, 02:28 AM
Maybe Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? Eh?

WHAT?! :eek: :cry: I was going to say that... :(

guardbreak
12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
lol FantasyDragon; well an exciting battle strategy game I like to play besides Tactics is the original Kessen for PS2. The soundtrack is grand and the fights are epic with clashes between huge armies. Success depends on the type of warriors you send in different situations, timing of attacks, troop morale, knowing when to retreat, taking risks, etc.

Seph Lonehart
12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
I dunno what about Fire emblem? I like it and tactics...
Final fantasy tactics advance was a let down...
do you all hate Fire Emblem or what o.o... I loved it >.> <.<

ShunNakamura
01-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Well just now started playing tactics. However If i remember correctly there is a tenchi muyo rpg game for the super nintendo whos batte system is nearly exactly the same as tactics.

Anways Just figured I'd give the heads up... I was truely amazed at how similar the systems are.

BG-57
01-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Anyone mention Kartia?

That one had characters who could use magic cards to create monsters (and coffee!). There were three types for each monster class, each weaker than one and stronger than another (like rock, paper, scissors). The battles were fought Tactics-style.

The game used the same character designer as for the FF series, but they stayed truer to his conceptual art.

RedCydranth
01-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Tactical RPGs are nothing new and FFT wan't close to the origin of said style. (I'm sure you all knew it, but still I said it) The first in my memory was Fire Emblem for the NES, but that never caught on. The first popular RPG to have strategic elements like FFT was Shining Force (as mentioned by Average Samurai) However that game was for the Genesis/Mega Drive system and was a cult classic. To be honest the SF series is my favorite dispite its extremely linear play, lack of character development and easiness. SF2 made up for what SF1 couldn't do. SF2 is held as the greatest Genesis game in the console's life. Many say Phantasy Star 4 too.

Anyhow. Tactical games were on the SNES as well. Fire Emblem came out with a few SNES games, but were overshadowed by the immensely popular Ogre Battle. The company that made Ogre Battle only made a certain number of copies and was rare, even when the SNES was in its prime. FFIII (now 6) and CT were easier to find than Ogre Battle cartridges.

When Playstation came around Ogre Battle was rereleased and came back to glory. Meanwhile Sega created the Sega CD game Shining Force 3, a very in depth story line with the same classic battling as the first 2 games (they also made 2 Game Gear SF games but those were later included on a CD SF game released after SF3)

Long before La Pucelle and Disgaea was the first in Atlus's Tactical RPGs in that story line. Rhapsody: A Muusical Adventure, starred Cornet, a young girl with the gift to animate puppets and a dream of marrying a handsome prince. You take control of Cornet and eventually run into Marjoly(Who Laharl of Disgaea can recruit, Marjoly is also found in La Pucelle Tactics) an evil witch hell bent on becoming queen. Good game dispite its very girly play.

At this point FFT came around to become the most famous Tactics game. Since then Fire Emblem has been reborn, FFTA came and sucked, and I've never seen nor played Vandal Hearst but I hear good things.

Black Chocobo
02-10-2005, 04:25 AM
The first Vandal Hearts game is a bit on the wilder side of Tactical games, the graphics let alone the fighting style would leave you wanting to play FFT even more.

Vandal Hearts 2 on the other hand, I have not played. However, I have heard that the enemies move while you are moving in that game. Which would leave me to believe that it would be more challenging than FFT. Not saying that FFT is not a challenging game. It took me forever to beat Wiegraf at Rioveness Castle. (The one-on-one fight) I don't think I spent enough time training. (Anyone else think that battle is a bit hard?)

Tactics Ogre on the other hand- I couldn't get enough enjoyment out of....It was quite fun...but since this is a FF forum, I shall not be asked to tell you any more of it..