PDA

View Full Version : English voices or Japanese voices?

DanoruX
10-25-2004, 05:16 AM
I'm praying for the love of god they include the Japanese voices in the american release. FFX was terrible (in terms of sound tolerability) because of the lack thereof. Does anyone know anything about this issue?

Trumpet Thief
10-25-2004, 05:22 AM
Trumpet Thief: *breaks through window holding trumpet* Truly, they are probably going to have American voice actors. In most cases, that is the ultimatum.

Grimace: *topples over* FFX's was alright. I'll admit.. Tidus' voice got very annoying at times when he was whining... *explodes*

chaos: Yes, it was. You should rather pray that the American voice acting for FFXII is good.

Trumpet Thief: *Runs off with Trumpet*

TheAbominatrix
10-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Disgaea had the option of using Japanese or English voices, so I hope XII follows suit.

Necronopticous
10-25-2004, 07:47 AM
I highly doubt they will offer the option. Final Fantasy XII proves to be a huge game with hours of audio for spoken dialogue, adding the Japanese audio track would be a lot more space, they would probably have to print double the amount of discs which would raise the price of the production phenomonally. I am hoping they manage to pull it off somehow as well, not that I don't like the english dubs they've done so far... I just like the option. Adds replayability.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-25-2004, 08:47 AM
FFX's world was largely based on Okinawa, so I would've liked to have played it with Japanese voice acting. In a western fantasy setting like Ivalice, though, I'll take my English voices.

TheAbominatrix
10-25-2004, 08:55 AM
The amount of discs does not raise the price. Discs are cheap, and VII cost the same as VIII, which had more discs, right? You arent paying for the amount of discs, you're paying for the content.

Not that I think they'll include the option, but I just wanted to say all that.

Behold the Void
10-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Disgaea had the option of using Japanese or English voices, so I hope XII follows suit.

Of course I loved the English voice acting for Disgaea.

It is a nice option, and I do like it when games include it, but I will be satisfied if there isn't the option, unless they use the people responsible for the abominable Rurouni Kenshin dub.

Necronopticous
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
The amount of discs does not raise the price. Discs are cheap, and VII cost the same as VIII, which had more discs, right? You arent paying for the amount of discs, you're paying for the content.

Not that I think they'll include the option, but I just wanted to say all that.

I don't know... PS1 discs are a lot different than PS2 discs. I don't know the cost of them but I'm guessing a double-disc PS2 game would be a pretty significant amount more to produce than a single disc game... I mean, that's 100% more discs... Who knows though, I sure don't.

TheAbominatrix
10-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I dont mind the lack-there-of, but the option always makes me very happy. If the English voices are too terrible, I just turn on subtitles (or read the text boxes, depending on the game/time) and turn down the volume.

kikimm
10-26-2004, 12:20 AM
It would be nice---I'd love to see the words match up perfectly with their mouths; and I think it's a beutiful language. But they've never done it before, so why start now? It WOULD take up a whole lot more space. But I don't think that would raise the price. Almost all new games, just released are 50 bucks, no matter what they are.

If it isn't included, though, it won't make that much of a difference to me. You can't miss what you've never had.

:D

DanoruX
10-26-2004, 02:00 AM
It would be nice---I'd love to see the words match up perfectly with their mouths; and I think it's a beutiful language. But they've never done it before, so why start now? It WOULD take up a whole lot more space. But I don't think that would raise the price. Almost all new games, just released are 50 bucks, no matter what they are.

If it isn't included, though, it won't make that much of a difference to me. You can't miss what you've never had.

I WILL pirate this game (dl jpn release) if they don't put japanese voices in the american release. I mean, have you heard the jpn voice acting? Totally pwns anything squenix usa has ever offered us. FFX voice acting sucked, Star Ocean 3's voice acting sucked, although alot better than FFX's, and don't get started on FFX-2, which was utter disaster. The jpn players get to hear famous and talented voices... why shouldn't we hears those voices too?

Behold the Void
10-26-2004, 04:44 AM
The jpn players get to hear famous and talented voices... why shouldn't we hears those voices too?

Gaming isn't as openly popular in America as it is in Japan, and thus we aren't as likely to get good voice actors for video games. That is changing, but as it stands right now gaming companies just don't have enough clout to hire talented voice actors.

And I must also state that not all Japanese voice acting is good and all American voice acting is bad. Disgaea, for example, had excellent voice actors, and many an Anime has had simply awful voice acting. There's the good and the bad in all, its just Japan tends to get better voice acting overall due to the clout gaming companies command.

edczxcvbnm
10-26-2004, 05:41 AM
FFX had talented voice actors but they sucked in the game. Thats just me though. Then I look at Xenosaga and I thought they had some really good voice acting in the game. Just goes to show you should get people who fit the part and not the name.

Necronopticous
10-26-2004, 11:26 PM
all American voice acting is bad.

Give me a second...

WRONG

DanoruX
10-27-2004, 06:19 AM
Give me a second...

WRONG

It's a preconception you get when hardly any american voice acting is good. There are exceptions (I used to deny this for years), like Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, ZOE2, and one or two I can't think of right now.

Once again, I just think Square of America is doing alot worse than it should. I haven't played a single S.E. game in english that has good voice acting with the exception of my getting used to SO3 (although I've heard the jpn release has some famous seiyuu in it). Weird huh? Square Japan does a great job. Konami America does a great job... but S.E America... no way...

EDIT: What I think is surprising is that when the Japanese releases get english voices the casts are generally better than when the American studios redub the games! (Examples: Ace Combat 5, <that weird firefighting game>, Devil May Cry)

Wuggly Blight
10-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Whats the point in having a good voice actor if you cant udnerstand the voice acting...

DanoruX
10-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Whats the point in having a good voice actor if you cant udnerstand the voice acting...

1. You feel the emotions of the character more clearly and the way they're intended to be.
2. There are these things called subtitles so you understand what's being said. Don't give me that look saying you don't like to read >_< RPGs are all about reading lots of dialogue. Voice overs are 'extra features', not mandatory.
3. You can learn a foreign language.

Wuggly Blight
10-27-2004, 07:26 PM
After a while it would also get INCREADABLY annoying, sure there are subtitles, and I usually have them on anyway, there just is NO point in having agame with the voices in a forgien launguage, just because it suits the lip-sink better, its like a broken pencil. Pointless.

DanoruX
10-27-2004, 10:38 PM
After a while it would also get INCREADABLY annoying, sure there are subtitles, and I usually have them on anyway, there just is NO point in having agame with the voices in a forgien launguage, just because it suits the lip-sink better, its like a broken pencil. Pointless.

Like I said before - EMOTION

You can't seriously play/watch/experience the story without it.

Necronopticous
10-28-2004, 01:03 AM
there [is] just is NO point in having a[ ]game with the voices in a forgien launguage, just because it suits the lip-[sync] better, its like a broken pencil. Pointless.

Incorrect.

You feel the emotions of the character more clearly and the way they're intended to be.

Correct.

--

If you ever take any type of speech class you'll learn very quickly that you don't have to understand a language to get proper emotions across. Sometimes in acting classes they'll have students play whole parts saying only a letter or number, for instance. You can watch two people have an entire conversation where student 1 is saying only "one" and student 2 is saying only "two" and completely understand what's going on. In RPGs, it used to be that reading was REQUIRED and constant throughout the game. Hearing the words in your language with a crappy emotive sense ruins the dialogue more than if there was no speech at all. At least when you hear GOOD Japanese voiceovers you're reading the dialogue and hearing the emotions shine through, it's actually quite beautiful. If you think reading dialogue is INCREDIBLY annoying well then I don't really think you should be playing console RPGs. enough said.

iluvpenelo
10-28-2004, 09:50 PM
personally, i take acting/speech/drama classes, and i love the japanese language but it would drive me crazy not being able to understand what the ppl were saying. yeah there'd be subtitles but for ppl like me (with a.d.d) its hard to focus on both subtitles and voices. which is what would inevitably happen. no matter how much focus you'd try to put on one, you'd be drawn to the other. this would cause me a migraine and id vomit on my ps2. they should speak the language of the country its released in. its just less complicated that way

TheAbominatrix
10-28-2004, 09:54 PM
No one's asking for a completly Japanese release, they're asking for the option of listening to the Japanese.

And if the voice-acting is bad, or annoying, or whatever, turn down the volume and read the text, just like the days before VA's. That goes for everyone.

DanoruX
10-28-2004, 11:53 PM
No one's asking for a completly Japanese release, they're asking for the option of listening to the Japanese.

And if the voice-acting is bad, or annoying, or whatever, turn down the volume and read the text, just like the days before VA's. That goes for everyone.

But if they dub it in english, the VA will be bad. But if you turn the VA off, you'll feel something is missing, since a good game with VA will be engineered accordingly, so that you have to listen in order to understand it properly. But if they dub it in english, the VA will be bad. But if you turn the VA off, you'll feel something is missing, since a good game with VA will be engineered accordingly, so that you have to listen in order to understand it properly. But if they dub it in english, the VA will be bad. But if you turn the VA off, you'll feel something is missing, since a good game with VA will be engineered accordingly, so that you have to listen in order to understand it properly.

See where I'm going? It's catch 22.....

TheAbominatrix
10-28-2004, 11:56 PM
But if they dub it in english, the VA will be bad. But if you turn the VA off, you'll feel something is missing, since a good game with VA will be engineered accordingly, so that you have to listen in order to understand it properly. But if they dub it in english, the VA will be bad. But if you turn the VA off, you'll feel something is missing, since a good game with VA will be engineered accordingly, so that you have to listen in order to understand it properly. But if they dub it in english, the VA will be bad. But if you turn the VA off, you'll feel something is missing, since a good game with VA will be engineered accordingly, so that you have to listen in order to understand it properly.

See where I'm going? It's catch 22.....

I'll feel something is missing? Not really. I did it during X (I liked the voices for the most part, I just got tired of hearing it sometimes(. And, in those days before VA's happened, I never heard a voice and understood it fine. I will survive even if the VA is bad. It's not the end of the world, and VA does not make or break a game for me, mainly because I prefer to be proactive and do something about it rather than just lamenting the fact that the VA sucks.

DanoruX
10-29-2004, 12:19 AM
If I knew what I could do about the voice acting, I'd do it... any suggestions?

TheAbominatrix
10-29-2004, 04:13 AM
I already told you. Mute button.

Behold the Void
10-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Besides, it isn't a predetermined fact that the English voice acting will be worse than the Japanese voice acting. To use Disgaea for an example, the English voice acting was fantastic and I far prefer it to the Japanese voice acting.

DanoruX
10-29-2004, 02:03 PM
I already told you. Mute button.

I also already told you.... mute button is not an option.

Besides, it isn't a predetermined fact that the English voice acting will be worse than the Japanese voice acting. To use Disgaea for an example, the English voice acting was fantastic and I far prefer it to the Japanese voice acting.

I'll take your word for it. But Disgaea was not made/released by Square, so it's a completely different problem. I've said before that It's mainly Square of America who/which doesn't know how to cast VAs, not Nippon Ichi, Namco, Konami, etc.

Necronopticous
10-29-2004, 06:17 PM
I also already told you.... mute button is not an option.

Then just don't buy the game, jeez.

TheAbominatrix
10-29-2004, 08:27 PM
And there's your other option. Mute button is an option, whether you refuse it or not.

Vaprice
10-29-2004, 11:28 PM
My guess is you can set it to anything you would like between american and japanese, me I can read both, and korean. So I'm game for which ever.

DanoruX
10-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Then just don't buy the game, jeez.

=_='

If I ever considered that, I wouldn't be talking about this kind of stuff.

Behold the Void
10-30-2004, 06:28 AM
If I ever considered that, I wouldn't be talking about this kind of stuff.

Then stop complaining. If you are going to buy the game but are unwilling to turn the volume down, live with it. You have options, you just choose not to utilize them.

Taitoo
10-30-2004, 05:21 PM
I used to be against all dubs in general—be it for movies, anime, you name it—but with dubbing technology getting better all the time, I think of dubbing now more as an added convenience than anything else. Having to constantly divert your eyes to read subtitles becomes tiring and takes away from the experience. So long as dubbing is done skillfully— meaning the new script is written and performed in sync with the original video, and the new voices fit the characters at least somewhat— then I don't see a problem with it.

KentaRawr!
10-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Well, I would like the option to switch between languages... when im watching anime with my brother, every once in a while we switch the language to english so we can laugh our heads off XD anyways, thats not Square Enix ^_^;; so to stay on topic... I would really like to switch between languages in options lol because Tidus's voice in FFX was kinda annoying >_> And Auron's voice was good. But then you think about it... Who would really talk like that? ^_^;And wakka was kinda weird... Wakka is strange, yeah? yeah!

Del Murder
10-31-2004, 01:11 AM
I would prefer English voices since I don't speak Japanese. Just as long as they don't say 'you know' to end every sentence we should be alright. Man that was annoying.

SomethingBig
10-31-2004, 01:10 AM
You should be able to make a decision. Some people don't like reading subtitles, so they'd go with the english voices. After FFX, I would certainly like to hear Japanese voices with subtitles.

Necronopticous
10-31-2004, 01:18 AM
Am I the only person who thought Final Fantasy X had perfectly good english dubs? I guess so.

kikimm
10-31-2004, 04:04 AM
Only two people, then. I thought pretty much everyone had a good voice dub. Particularly Auron, Lulu, and Wakka. The only voices I had any problem with, it was Lucil, Elma, those types. Not the fact that it was BAD, but the fact that I just didn't like their voices. Otherwise it was good, especially for the first time in the series.

TheAbominatrix
10-31-2004, 06:21 AM
I thought the voices were just fine, myself. Tidus' voice did grate a bit, after hours and hours, so I muted the voices. Sometimes I just get tired of hearing people talk and mute it anyway, no matter how good the voices are.

Behold the Void
10-31-2004, 08:27 AM
I generally thought the FFX dub was fairly good. Sometimes I would get tired so I would skip through the conversation without letting them finish is all.

DanoruX
10-31-2004, 06:29 PM
Am I the only person who thought Final Fantasy X had perfectly good english dubs? I guess so.

Stick in the FFX disc into your PS2. Start a new game, play until you meet Yuna. Listen to Yuna's voice. Can you still tell me sincerely that you think FFX had a perfectly good dub?

If that still doesn't convince you..... download a subtitled version of FFX: Another Story and compare English Yuna with Japanese Yuna. I think everyone who's sane can tell the Japanese voice is far better than the English one, which doesn't even live up to early (80s-90s) anime dubs.

Necronopticous
10-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Listen to Yuna's voice. Can you still tell me sincerely that you think FFX had a perfectly good dub?

Yes.

TheAbominatrix
10-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Yes.

SomethingBig
10-31-2004, 07:49 PM
Okay, pop your FFX into your PS2 and play it up to the laughing scene. Then tell us that the voices aren't annoying. Play summore and listen to Tidus's ear-bleedingly annoying voice scream, cry, and whine. Then tell us that the voices aren't annoying. While your ears are bleeding, make sure to listen to Yuna speak. The only good voices were Auron's, Kimahri's, and Lulu's, and those didn't really matter, since they weren't all that important in FFX.

Necronopticous
10-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Okay, pop your FFX into your PS2 and play it up to the laughing scene.
I thought this part was especially well done, it was one of the most emotionally touching scenes in the game in my opinion. The laughing is supposed to sound cheesy and forced, it's hilarious and touching. After they laugh corny for awhile they both really start laughing together and it sounds perfect. Funny how you pointed out one of my favorite voice acting scenes in the whole game as an example of why it's bad.

TheAbominatrix
10-31-2004, 08:08 PM
I thought this part was especially well done, it was one of the most emotionally touching scenes in the game in my opinion. The laughing is supposed to sound cheesy and forced, it's hilarious and touching. After they laugh corny for awhile they both really start laughing together and it sounds perfect. Funny how you pointed out one of my favorite voice acting scenes in the whole game as an example of why it's bad.

Agreed. Im not saying the Japanese isnt better (because it is), but I liked the English voices fine. No one's saying the rest of you have to agree, but we liked them.

DanoruX
10-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Franky, English Yuna doesn't sound the way she looks - she sounded neither sexy nor cute, and the VA probably had a tissue paper down her throat during the recording. And talk about inconsistencies in the voice.. yuck....

SomethingBig
11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
I really thought the laughing scene was aggravating because of the voices. I would have tolerated it if better voice actors were chosen. To each his/her own, really. That's why FFXII should give you the option of which language you want it in.

yunafan01
11-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Maybe this is my opinion but i like the american voices better than the japanise, im not saying that titus's voice was not anoing but it really was, i just perfer hearing it in englash than japanise, I want to understand what their saying!!!

Ouch!
11-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I want to understand what their saying!!!
And I'd like to understand what you're saying. But that's what subtitles are for, read it just like the older games.

DanoruX
01-28-2005, 01:21 AM
ditto.

yunafan01
06-14-2005, 08:21 PM
I want to understand what their saying!!!
And I'd like to understand what you're saying. But that's what subtitles are for, read it just like the older games.

Erm. I didn't know there was any. lol.

Destai
06-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Am I the only person who thought Final Fantasy X had perfectly good english dubs? I guess so.No, you're not. I like english voice acting. I think alot of people like there games with japanese voice overs because it makes them feel "hard core" and "deep" in geeky RPG terms. When you pass the game once for the four .hack// games you can change the voice over to japanese. I used it for a while but then I thought "....What is this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif?" and changed it back to english as the voice overs were perfectly fine. X';s are fine too.
Okay, pop your FFX into your PS2 and play it up to the laughing scene. Then tell us that the voices aren't annoying. Why are you using that as a blow against the voice acting? It was meant to sound forced and cheesy and annoying. Ok, maybe you just didnt get the joke but the way it irritated you was intentional which is funilly enough a compliment to the voice acting.

yunafan01
06-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Am I the only person who thought Final Fantasy X had perfectly good english dubs? I guess so.No, you're not. I like english voice acting. I think alot of people like there games with japanese voice overs because it makes them feel "hard core" and "deep" in geeky RPG terms. When you pass the game once for the four .hack// games you can change the voice over to japanese. I used it for a while but then I thought "....What is this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif?" and changed it back to english as the voice overs were perfectly fine. X';s are fine too.
Okay, pop your FFX into your PS2 and play it up to the laughing scene. Then tell us that the voices aren't annoying. Why are you using that as a blow against the voice acting? It was meant to sound forced and cheesy and annoying. Ok, maybe you just didnt get the joke but the way it irritated you was intentional which is funilly enough a compliment to the voice acting.

RIGHT ON!!! lol.