PDA

View Full Version : KA-POW!!! ...you have one new message.

Garland
10-25-2004, 07:32 AM
I just had to take a shower at 2 AM. Why? I was browsing the internet and wanted a midnight snack. We of course were out of my favorite cinnamon buns, so I made a bowl of cereal. My desk has no room on it so I was holding the bowl with my left hand while eating and browsing EoFF. I had just made that Mary's Little Lamb thread and was hoping for some early responses and such. Well, a response I got, and my computer speakers' volume was up pretty high from playing a soft song previously. I wasn't paying attention to my computer for a minute or two and out of nowhere "KA-POW!!!" and the little notice popped up. I'm very easily startled, always jumpy, and the explosion made me jump and send a full bowl of cereal completely down my shirt, pants, computer chair and floor (luckily not my keyboard or anything). Egad! What a mess! I didn't think Cinnamon Toast Crunch could fly until just a bit ago. Let me assure you, it can travel. I say that loud, obnoxious beeps and crashes that accompany email-notification are evil and the work of the devil. Who's with me? *Grabs a torch, pitchfork and a rope and leads a mob to Yahoo HQ*

-N-
10-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Use the damn mute.

Meat Puppet
10-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Just don't eat and use the computer at the same time. I found this out when I spilt green juice crap on my keyboard. :)

Peegee
10-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Your speaker should never have enough volume to exceed twelve feet.

Maxico
10-25-2004, 11:58 AM
I have a button on my keyboards that should connect me to "tiny online" but seeing as its around 5 years old and Im not even sure if tiny exist anymore its decided to turn its self into a mute button. Its actualy pretty useful.

Loony BoB
10-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Who caused the email notification? :D *considers sending you many messages when you're online at late hours*

Logan
10-25-2004, 02:01 PM
I keep my speakers off unless I'm listening to music.

Silmaril
10-25-2004, 02:41 PM
That happened to me alot until I put my speakers on mute.

Psychotic
10-25-2004, 03:22 PM
I once had my volume on full because I was listening to my voice which I recorded (And it's always recorded really quitely) then some weirdo IMed me on AIM, I can't remember who but everyone I've ever spoken to on AIM is a weirdo, so it's kind of a cover-all thing. Anyway, "KA-POW!!!" to use Garland's excellent description.

I probably got revenge by spamming them. DAMN YOU RATE LIMIT! YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN A THORN IN MY SIDE! I'm not sure where I'm going with that. But damn it anyway. :D

Dr Unne
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Email notification is one way that people are robbed of any sense of privacy nowadays. I need to feel left alone sometimes. I don't want a cell phone that can ring at any time, and I don't want emails to be flashing in my face whenever anyone sends me one.

Kirobaito
10-25-2004, 06:05 PM
That's why I hate AIM so much. I don't want to bother messing with the options, but when it's 2 AM at night, and you're supposed to be asleep, that damn door slams, and you're like OMGWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!~!1111111one

Teef
10-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Wow, I totally understand what you've gone through. I do it all the time:weep:

kikimm
10-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that happens to me....a lot. You think I would have learned by now, but you know. Anyways, when I'm on the computer, I always like having music play, quietly or loudly. So turning on the mute button is not an option for that reason, and for the fact that I'll probably forget. But it's okay. I can deal with a one-second heart attack every once in awhile. Keeps me on my toes.

:D

Sacred Phoenix
10-26-2004, 12:31 AM
yeah, that ususally happens to me late at night. I swear it sounds like the world is caving in on me, i even sweat a little. Especially when i am reading something and i am all deep into it.

Denmark
10-26-2004, 01:10 AM
if I'm on the computer at all, I use headphones. then again, it's a family computer. so I'm never using it late at night. but if I was, I'd turn the sound off. or just use headphones.

Shoeberto
10-26-2004, 01:18 AM
That's why I hate AIM so much. I don't want to bother messing with the options, but when it's 2 AM at night, and you're supposed to be asleep, that damn door slams, and you're like OMGWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!~!1111111one
There <i>is</i> always the option of, y'know, logging off of AIM, or turning your speakers off, or turning your computer off.

Just a suggestion.

FightClubFan#47
10-26-2004, 01:21 AM
When i have the volume up, it gets staticy, so I can't forget...

TasteyPies
10-26-2004, 01:23 AM
*was sick most of today and is now hungry*

*grabs a bowl of fruity pebbles*

Teef
10-26-2004, 01:27 AM
There <i>is</i> always the option of, y'know, logging off of AIM, or turning your speakers&off, or turning your computer off.

Just a suggestion.

People can forget you know

Del Murder
10-26-2004, 01:40 AM
It's that cinnamon and sugar, the taste you can see. Parents just don't get it.

Xiao
10-26-2004, 01:42 AM
oh god i know how you feel. this friend of mine has a really obnoxious sound, its someone from coldplay doing this vocal thing...anyway ill have my volume down lower than normal, then SHE'LL sign on and itll scare the crap outta me....im considering asking her to change it >__<

Giga Guess
10-26-2004, 01:44 AM
I use MSN, so all's I get is a funny chime noise. And I usually keep the volume low, cuz I work in a VERY loud shop, and like a bit of peace...

Yamaneko
10-26-2004, 03:43 AM
Gmail Notifier is silent, but deadly. :)

Ryth
10-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Don't eat at the PC and I really wouldn't know I don't get many private messages. (That is what we're talking about right?).