PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling IE

Erdrick Holmes
10-26-2004, 12:23 PM
I never use IE anymore because I only use Firefox. Is it safe to uninstall through the add/remove programs option in the WinXP control panel?

metCloud
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Im pretty sure its impossible to uninstall IE. Ive never tried too though. Its built into windows and you need it to look at you files on your HDD. I would keep it even if you could get rid because some sites cant be seen without it :mad2: .

NM
10-26-2004, 12:43 PM
You can't remove explorer as it's a major part of windows.

Just remove the desktop icon and start menu items and set firefox as your PC's default web browser.

Baloki
10-26-2004, 12:52 PM
You can't remove explorer as it's a major part of windows.

Just remove the desktop icon and start menu items and set firefox as your PC's default web browser.

Thats all the uninstall option in add/remove programs does, removes icons and references to it and stops access.

Erdrick Holmes
10-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Well it's not that but sometimes when I run AIM a seprate window for ads pops up in IE and IE makes my PC run really slowly when it's on.

Baloki
10-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Well it's not that but sometimes when I run AIM a seprate window for ads pops up in IE and IE makes my PC run really slowly when it's on.

Do the uninstall, then run Program Access and Settings and set Firefox as your default browser and disable access to Internet Explorer, then open Firefox and in its options hit the set as default browser option, then go back to Program Access and Settings set Firefox as default again and IE as having no access, restart and no programs should use it :D

crono_logical
10-26-2004, 05:06 PM
I don't think it stops access, I'm pretty sure you can still run it by invoknig iexplore from run. Not that you want to :p

Dr Unne
10-26-2004, 06:46 PM
If a program relies upon IE to function, it's not going to run at all if you don't have IE and its various libraries installed. If AIM tries to load popups through IE and IE isn't there, AIM is going to crash.

Erdrick Holmes
10-26-2004, 06:48 PM
I guess I'm stuck with it, crap.

Dr Unne
10-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Don't use programs that use IE. Or don't use Windows. Problem solved.

Shoeberto
10-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, there are free and good alternatives to the original AIM program.

Peegee
10-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Why would aim run IE popups to begin with? Set your default browser to firefox