PDA

View Full Version : HELP GETTING MY AVATAR TO WORK! PLZ!

Quin [2]
10-27-2004, 04:28 AM
I made an avatar do go with my sig and I KNOW it fits in the size limit but for some reason it wont let me use it. I AM GETTING REALLY FRUSTERATED AND COULD USE SOME HELP PLZ! :mad2: :cry:

crono_logical
10-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Well, no, it obviously doesn't fit the limit if it won't let you use it :p You could try attaching it, and someone could have a look at it for you :p

Also, your signature doesn't fit the limit either, so I'll be removing that. The dimensions are fine, but the file size is too large, which is what happens when you use a BMP file. No one should be using BMPs for images on the internet. My guess is you've gone done the same to your avatar - it's the right dimensions, but you're using a BMP, which is always too large a file size.

Camanche
02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
I myself have had problems with this. I have repeatedly put the quality of the avatar down to the lowest, made the dimensions even smaller than 60 x 60, but it still will not accept, even though when I use photoshop it specifically says the file is around 37 bytes when I make it low quality as possible. Unless I have seriously messed up, I don't think it's just too big.

Samuraid
02-09-2005, 03:50 AM
even though when I use photoshop it specifically says the file is around 37 bytes

37 Bytes is almost too small to even contain an image <i>header</i> much less an image itself.

Rainecloud
02-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Tip: Use the Avatar Service thread and get someone else (like me) to do it for you.

:)

Camanche
02-13-2005, 02:27 AM
I find that it's great that other people would help to do it, I just find it frustrating that I can make avatars for any other forum, but here is the only place I had problems. And sorry I didn't mean bytes, I meant KB. I can check to make sure that is what it said- but I made the image so much smaller, and the quality so low, I can't understand how it still wouldn't accept it.

crono_logical
02-13-2005, 09:17 AM
If you meant 37 KB, then yes, it won't accept here because I think it's only a 6 KB limit here :p 37 KB for a tiny little image in the corner is way too large, especially for dialup people like me :p What on earth are you trying to use that's that large at 60x60 pixels though, an animated gif with over 20 frames or something? (I'm guessing 20 frames since that was roughly the upper limit I had to work to when I used to make lots of animated gif avatars for myself, depending upon animation complexity :p) Single frame GIFs or JPEGs at 60x60 would have no problem getting a 60x60 image below 6 KB.

Camanche
02-14-2005, 12:48 AM
All I am trying to use is a 60x60 (sometimes smaller) image cut out from a CG shot from an Advent Children screen. I am using Photoshop, and I believe someone said its image size estimates are completley off. I know I'm probably causing a lot of confusion and trouble, but nothing seems to work- I had it down to 5.7 bytes recently (according to Photoshop) and it still says the file is too big. Does anyone know why this would be happening? If it is indeed Photoshop, does anyone know how to work Photoshop so that it can make something of proper size?

Hawkeye
02-14-2005, 06:36 AM
go to www.imageshack.us

have th image saved on your computer
browse your computer for the image.
upload the image
copy the URL of the image, not the
paste the URL in the "Enter Avatar URL:"

make sure its less than 6kb also

that should solve your probelm

crono_logical
02-14-2005, 02:08 PM
If you want to see the true size after it's saved, look at the file properties in Windows Explorer, since that will give the correct value. I don't know what you're doing if it's not animated to get that error - maybe you're not saving it in the right file format? You can still attach the too-large file here, since attachment limits are greater than avatar limits, then we can see what you're doing wrong, since that would be easier than you trying to explain something you don't understand.

Camanche
02-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Alright, I'll upload them here. I really do only have a basic working klnowledge of photoshop and I've checked the sizes out and they are 12 kb in the windows properties. Nearly double. Gah.

Here they are:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Camanche/hassanEoff.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Camanche/renoeyesonff.jpg

Leeza
02-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes, those are very good quality avs. Did you try <i>Save to Web</i>? Or do you just do the <i>Save As</i> when you're in PhotoShop? It makes a big difference when you <i>Save to Web</i>.

Camanche
02-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Well, it gives me the option to Save to Web but I have never used it before, nor do I know how to use it.

Leeza
02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't have a PhotoShop installed right now so I can't walk you through it, but click on <i>Save for Web</i> and try just clicking on OK. It's usually set up all fine and already compressed in there so keep you original .psp copy to work on if something goes wrong with the save and just give it a try.

Endless
02-14-2005, 07:39 PM
These should work:

Camanche
02-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Thank you very much Endless, and everyone else of course. I'm going to assume you are a fan of Sandman. Do you know exactly how many Volumes/Issues are in the whole main series? I just recently bought Endless Nights and was thinking about buying the whole series at once provided it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount.

rubah
02-15-2005, 02:38 AM
it does cost a ridiculous amount. $15-$20 a comic (excuse me, *novel*) adds up when you realize there's about nine or ten or eleven.

but they're worth it, so far. *has only read through season of mists*

anyways, about save to web. why on earth would you use anything else? Play with PNG settings especially, and the pattern dithering setting. it's fanfriggintastic.

Camanche
02-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Hmmm.... I might have to buy them separately. I don't have heaps of money on me. And as for why I wouldn't use "Save to Web", I simply didn't know that that option even existed, how to use it, etc. I'm not extremelty computer literate, especially when it comes to image programs.