PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cave blows

bEoWuLfX
10-31-2004, 07:07 AM
Dude so I just got my Origins for PS1 and I spent this weekend trying to kill the ice cave. The first time I got nuked by mindflayers. The second time I got nuked by black mages, and then I got nuked again by flayers. Then I got killed by dragons. then I was like screw this. then I got killed by dragons, but this time I had my warrior alive. Then I basically battled and killed that eye guy and got the floater/ levistone. How ridiculous is that? I mean I could do it with just my warior and all my other characters were just slowing me down. How did you guys beat the ice cave?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-31-2004, 07:29 AM
I hit the monsters until I was low on HP, then healed, and then continued to hit them. I ran away from monsters with instant-death attacks. Fire magic was verily cast upon ice creatures.

DJZen
10-31-2004, 08:25 AM
I ran up in the place and got all swords and sorcery on everyone.

Sefie1999AD
10-31-2004, 10:32 AM
The Ice Cave is a very hard dungeon in WSC and PSX versions. I don't remember it being all that hard in the original NES version. That place really freaks me out, and it made me finally give up my game of Fi/BB/Wm/Bm after getting a Game Over there six times. I eventually beat the cave with that party, but I didn't want to use it after that anymore. If someone says the Thief is useless because all he can do is run, this is where he gets to shine because I have him lead the party away from almost every battle.

My strategy is basically running away from almost everything that can seriously hurt you. Sometimes I use Fire and Dia (Harm) spells if I'm facing something like Ice Wolves or undead creatures. I usually go through the cave twice. First I collect all the treasures except for the Floater (I don't fight the Eye yet), and then I exit the cave, use a Cottage and save. Then I enter the cave again and go through it, fighting the Eye, getting the Floater and escaping the Ice Cave.

The 2nd time through the cave is a bit easier since I don't have to worry about treasures, and even if I get a Game Over on the 2nd time, I'll still keep all the treasures that I got on my first time through, so when I try again after getting a Game Over on the second time through, I don't have to go treasure hunting again.

Captain Maxx Power
10-31-2004, 11:50 AM
The whole difficulty of FF1 seems to be up a couple of pegs for WSC/PSX version. Brian Carper's recommended levels for most dungeons seem pretty low. As an example with my Fi/T/Wm/Bm party at level 14 I was getting creamed on the third level of the earth cave, despite having a load of Potions, all spells bought and the best equipment possible at that point in the game (without visiting Crescent Lake)

Del Murder
10-31-2004, 03:54 PM
The only ones that gave me trouble were those pesky wizards. Unless there was only one I would run from them whenever possible. Running is your friend.

Super Christ
10-31-2004, 05:09 PM
If someone says the Thief is useless because all he can do is run, this is where he gets to shine because I have him lead the party away from almost every battle.
He's awesome for that reason in the NES - for the WSC/PSX version though, he seems to have completely lost his ability to run. The only party I've tried so far that's been worthwhile in Origins has been Fi/Rm/Whm/Bm. And even then, by the end of the game it seems the mages are either dragging my fighter down, or end up doing nothing but buff my fighter.

I didn't quite notice a jump up in difficulty for the Ice Cave in Origins though - well, beyond the normal incerase you get. Probably the best advice is to do the Ice Cave before Gurgu Volcano. It'll be harder that way, but you'll cruise through the rest of the game.

DJZen
10-31-2004, 11:15 PM
I think it's better to do the volcano first. At least that way you can level up somewhat before getting Nuked.

Chris
10-31-2004, 11:19 PM
I think it's better to do the volcano first. At least that way you can level up somewhat before getting Nuked.

Black Mage FF1
10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
The whole difficulty of FF1 seems to be up a couple of pegs for WSC/PSX version. Brian Carper's recommended levels for most dungeons seem pretty low. As an example with my Fi/T/Wm/Bm party at level 14 I was getting creamed on the third level of the earth cave, despite having a load of Potions, all spells bought and the best equipment possible at that point in the game (without visiting Crescent Lake)

I would have to disagree. IMO the levels he recommends are a bit overkill. I mean lvl 9-11 for the Marsh Cave? That is too high. The marsh cave is easily beaten at lvl 7 or less. The Earth Cave is also beaten at lvl 10 or less. Same goes for the Ice Cave. It can be beaten at lvl 13 or lower. You guys probably just have crappy parties. I see you have a Thief/White Mage and Black Mage. No wonder you are dying. If you didnt have such crappy characters paired together you wouldnt die so often. Try replacing the Black Mage and White Mage with usefull characters. Like a Red Mage or another Warrior.

Anyways my strategy is that you only get the important treasure. Like the Flame Sword and Ice armor and levistone. Dont waste time on crap like the Shirt or money. You should also buy some heal potions and save your spells for strong enemies.

DJZen
10-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Or just stop getting killed? I don't know why people die in this game so much. I rarely if ever get killed, and that's not until some jerk like Warmech casts Nuclear 4 times in a row. I use the standard F/T/Wm/Bm party too, you just gotta know how to use the party properly.

theundeadhero
10-31-2004, 11:49 PM
If you didnt have such crappy characters paired together you wouldnt die so often. Try replacing the Black Mage and White Mage with usefull characters. Like a Red Mage or another Warrior.

No character is crappy in this game. Don't bash another player cause he likes to use ones you don't. It's whatever he likes best. My personal favorite is F/BB/RM/WM, but the first time through it was F/TH/BM/WM and I had no problems getting through the game or anyone being useless.

Black Mage FF1
11-01-2004, 04:18 AM
No character is crappy in this game. Don't bash another player cause he likes to use ones you don't. It's whatever he likes best. My personal favorite is F/BB/RM/WM, but the first time through it was F/TH/BM/WM and I had no problems getting through the game or anyone being useless.

I wasnt bashing anyone. I was just telling him that he was using crappy players. And if he likes dying over and over again because the WM/BM are too weak to survive then good for him. I was just telling my opinion on why he is dying so much.