PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Final Fantasy can be improved?

wakka
10-31-2004, 02:22 PM
How do you think final fantasy can be improved?

Storyline
Music
Action
Battle system
Characters
Places
Time of game
mini-games
or just perfect.

I am sure that i did not get them all but for me i think they are awesome.

DJZen
10-31-2004, 11:45 PM
I think it needs to be less cinematic. I think a lot of the FMVs and whiney characters have detracted from what has always been at the core of FF games, gameplay. The game mechanics have always been strong in every game, but they seem to be less central to the enjoyment of the game. This is why I feel very "meh" about FFVII. It's more movie-like than I'm happy with. As a game it's fine, but I like it less than other FF games such as FFII and FFVIII.

Ryth
11-07-2004, 02:45 PM
No more girly or wussy men (Zidane, Tidus, and Vaan).

Strawberry_Mew
11-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Bring Back Nobuo Uematsu 4 music n_n

-wishs he was back-... :(

Samuraid
11-10-2004, 09:50 PM
They need to be more non-linear. So you can have a totally different story depending on what you do.

Chris
11-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Bring Back Nobuo Uematsu 4 music n_n

-wishs he was back-... :(

AMEN :(

Why oh why...did he have to go :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-10-2004, 10:52 PM
22 more FFVII sequels/prequels/spinoffs.

MoonsEcho
11-11-2004, 12:21 AM
22 more FFVII sequels/prequels/spinoffs.

That gets my vote ;)

Seriously, though, I agree with what Samuraid said about them being more non-linear. I think that would definitely be an interesting way to breathe new life into a game.

Takara
11-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Less cinematics. Sure, they're fun once in a while to get the plot moving on, but the rest of the time, I want to play the game, not watch it.

Lord Chainsaw
11-11-2004, 01:27 AM
I honestly don't see what the problem with cinematics is. It's the same thing as sitting there pressing X while tons of dialogue moves across the screen. It's like the Xenogears/Xenosaga parallel. For some reason it's perfectly fine to press X for two hours while Fei sits his ass down in a chair, but everyone has to scream bloody murder when we get 30 minute cutscenes in Xenosaga that are actually interesting.

I would like to see MORE cinematics and less text. Better yet, Star Ocean style. A choice of text only, or no text in cinematics. It is just a method of improving the way to tell a story without interfering with gameplay mechanics, unlike the 2D to 3D jump in other genres besides RPGs. That is a beautiful thing exclusive to very few genres, RPGs being one of them. For that reason I can understand why people prefer 2D action games to 3D ones (I'm one myself), but I've never been able to pinpoint the reason why people could prefer a 2D style RPG to a 3D one, all things being equal except the graphics.

I would like to see a better battle system, because the ATB is not only as outdated as regular turnbased, but it is also boring. Just because a game is an RPG is no reason to slack on gameplay. Looks like I'm getting my wish in FFXII. I don't want to see non-linearity, because the more non-linear a game gets, the more the story is sacrificed. I'd like to see different difficulty modes like in Phantasy Star Online. I'd like to see incentive for replay (I guess I can file that under difficulty levels). I'd like to see stories that are so awe inspiring, that they engulf you so much you forget to save.

I'd like to see the be-all-end-all RPG. I honestly don't think it will be a Final Fantasy though. I'm not going to count the series out though. We've just got to see where it will go under new management. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the previous Final Fantasies are bad. I'm just saying there is always room for improvement.

theundeadhero
11-11-2004, 02:36 AM
They should concentrate more on content than graphics. Deep storylines with non-cliche'd characters and a slighty humourous light side would be nice. You can probably tell IX was my favorite. They should stick with that character look over VII or VIII where they look too human. Mini-game sidequests should be completely optional instead of a requirement for certain things with-in the game.

Doomgaze
11-11-2004, 03:19 AM
Honestly, Xenogears and Chrono Trigger are the perfect RPGS for me. Xenogears for story, Chrono Trigger for gameplay. If they'd just combine the two, and leave out the mind numbing sidequests (FFX), I'd be happy.

DJZen
11-11-2004, 08:27 PM
I honestly don't see what the problem with cinematics is. It's the same thing as sitting there pressing X while tons of dialogue moves across the screen.

Xenogears was also fun to play. However, I did feel that the plot, while amazing, DID frequently wind up feeling chorish, especially if you kept losing to a boss who had a cutscene prior to the fight.

I would like to see MORE cinematics and less text. Better yet, Star Ocean style. A choice of text only, or no text in cinematics. It is just a method of improving the way to tell a story without interfering with gameplay mechanics, unlike the 2D to 3D jump in other genres besides RPGs. That is a beautiful thing exclusive to very few genres, RPGs being one of them. For that reason I can understand why people prefer 2D action games to 3D ones (I'm one myself), but I've never been able to pinpoint the reason why people could prefer a 2D style RPG to a 3D one, all things being equal except the graphics.

Text isn't such a bad thing, but it truly is on the way out. I think that's kind of a shame. It used to be that games told you what happened before you started. Then they started SHOWING you what happened first. Apparently text is too much bother for most gamers. We'd rather passively watch than actively read and imagine. Gaming should NOT be about passivity. What's next? Already selecting commands seems to be too much bother since FFXI and FFXII will automatically attack for you. I'm wondering if in the next 20 years games will be subtley interactive displays of graphical self-indulgence.

As for jumping from 2D to 3D, the two simply aren't equal. The problem is that 3D games are a 3D image projected onto a 2D surface. This is no problem with you only have length and width to contend with. Humans percieve the THIRD dimention of depth through stereo-optics. This can be replicated on the virtual boy, but not on the TV. This makes judging distance in a 3D game slightly difficult. This is why 3D action games often feel clumsy to experienced 2D players.

Strawberry_Mew
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
AMEN :(

Why oh why...did he have to go :(

Yes why -sniffle- He was soo good -cries- :( :cry:

Lord Chainsaw
11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
As for jumping from 2D to 3D, the two simply aren't equal. The problem is that 3D games are a 3D image projected onto a 2D surface. This is no problem with you only have length and width to contend with. Humans percieve the THIRD dimention of depth through stereo-optics. This can be replicated on the virtual boy, but not on the TV. This makes judging distance in a 3D game slightly difficult. This is why 3D action games often feel clumsy to experienced 2D players.

I completely agree. That is why I prefer the 2D platformer engine to the 3D platformer engine. I'd also like to add in the fact that the camera in 3D action/platforming games can be annoying.

Itsunari 2000
11-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Less of the irritating random battles .

Polaris
11-29-2004, 10:21 AM
10 more games like FF7 and 10 more like FF8! And FF is save!