PDA

View Full Version : NBA '04-'05, anyone?

Kirobaito
11-01-2004, 12:30 AM
2 days, and I'm getting more and more excited by the day. Especially considering it's Mavs-Kings opening up, and that's probably the most exhilerating matchup in the NBA. The Mavs trounced the Queens in Dallas a few days ago, but we all know that pre-season means nothing, and you can never expect anything when these two teams meet.

Here is my Mavs report:

<b>On Offense.</b> Well, the loss of Steve Nash certainly hurt their offensive rhythm, but I think the Mavs did a very admirable job making up for it, acquiring G Jason Terry from the Hawks. They'll be in much more of a rhythm than last year, now that SF Antoine Walker is gone. They shouldn't hurt much when Terry leaves the game either, as rookie PG Devin Harris looks like the real deal. SG Marquis Daniels and SG/SF Michael Finley are solid, and SF Jerry Stackhouse can break down a defense and get to the line with efficiency. PF Dirk Nowitzki, however, will be the focal point of the offense. His numbers went down last year with Fs Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison, but both of them are gone now. Look for him to step up and have a monster year.

<b>Defense Improvement? Say it ain't so!</b> I'm afraid it is. When it comes to the PG, SG, and SF, they're as solid defensively as you'll find, between PGs Jason Terry and Devin Harris, SGs Michael Finley and Marquis Daniels, and SFs Jerry Stackhouse and Josh Howard. PF will be a weakness, however, word is that PF Dirk Nowitzki has worked on his athleticism in the off-season. PFs Alan Henderson and Calvin Booth will spell him, and both are admirable at defense. Starting C Erick Dampier is the first legit center that the Mavs have had since James Donaldson, circa 1987. He can play defense against big men and will get some blocks, too. His backup this season, rookie DJ Mbenga, has great instincts. Expect a much-improved season from the Mavs on defense.

<b>No Rookies on the Wood Make the Game Go Good.</b> That was Don Nelson's motto before last season, however, Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels made him change that philosophy. It will further continue this year, with Devin Harris expected to get solid time, and DJ Mbenga charging up the depth chart.

<b>Diamond in the Rough.</b> Last year, it was Marquis Daniels. Someone who passed straight through the draft and turned out to be a stud over the course of the season. This year, it could be rookie center Didier Mbenga, who goes by DJ (though they're pronounced almost identically :p). Stashed in a Belgium Pro League last year, the 7-footer from the Congo "runs like a gazelle" according to new assistant coach and likely future head coach Avery Johnson. Erick Dampier, Calvin Booth and Shawn Bradley were projected to be the team's top three centers. The idea was to develop Mbenga and first-round pick Pavel Podkolzin in the hope they could contribute next season. Mbenga has forced the Mavericks to amend that plan. He has averaged 5.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and one blocked shot in three preseason games and is the sort of active, athletic presence the team wants on the court.

<b>Guard Depth.</b> This one thing the Mavs definitely have. Before the preseason, people said that the 2-3 position was overcrowded. However, injuries have remedied that, sadly. Michael Finley, Marquis Daniels, Josh Howard, and Jerry Stackhouse are all capable starters. However, Daniels has been out for months with a badly sprained ankle. He will not be ready for the season opener on Tuesday, and neither will Stackhouse, who is out with a thigh contusion. Howard and Finley will start against the Kings.

It all depends on how this new team meshes, but they have the offensive and defensive talent to be something special. They're accomplishing something weird, and that's rebuilding whilst competing. In the past two season, making the playoffs, they've managed to find their future PG (Harris), SG (Daniels), and SF (Howard). Though Nash is no longer here, we can still manage. Just as long as we can get healthy.

Del Murder
11-01-2004, 01:02 AM
I have not read the above post but I am going to take a wild, long shot, off the wall guss on who KB picks to win the NBA Championship. This will take all of my psychic power and intense concentration, so please bear with me.

Uhhhhh

Oooohhh

I'm getting something....

Yes, this is it!

<b>The Dallas Mavericks</b>

EDIT: Heh, this wasn't even a prediction thread.

Kirobaito
11-01-2004, 01:04 AM
I never said they would, in fact I doubt they will. This team needs time to gel first, and it may take another year.

Edit: No, it's not.

Del Murder
11-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Well it's the same old story for the Kings. Can they avoid injuries and have something left for the playoffs? C Webb is not the player he once was, and controversy with Peja might keep them down, but talent wise they are always one of the tops in the leagues. Miller is a better player than Vlade at this point in time, but Divac was a leader in the lockerroom, something I think is more important than how many rebounds you get a night. It's a veteran club so if they want to win it will have to be now. I hope that sense of urgency motivates them.

Dingo Jellybean
11-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Just hand the title over to San Antonio.

With a deep bench, Tim Duncan, Manu, Parker, and sharpshooting 3 point artist Brent Barry...who can stop them?

It'll probably be Detroit and San Antonio in the finals. I can't see any other teams in the finals...not even Miami or Indy.

Venom65437
11-01-2004, 08:49 PM
What the Mavs really need to do is play some D. Not even great D, just ok. If they can do that, they'll have just as good a chance as anyone. IMO.

I like the Bulls, I'm just hoping this will be the year we start to make some actual progress, living in Florida, I haven't seem much of them yet, so I can't really post what I think of them yet.

Kirobaito
11-01-2004, 08:53 PM
What the Mavs really need to do is play some D. Not even great D, just ok. If they can do that, they'll have just as good a chance as anyone. IMO.
Well, duh. :p This year, I think they can do that. People continually say "Oh, but it's Don Nelson blah blah blah" because they're ignorant. Don Nelson's Bucks were amongst the best defensive teams in the 80s. This year, they have the personel to play good defense.

And also, Devin Harris will be starting at point guard tomorrow night against the Sacramento Kings. He was declared the starter by Don Nelson yesterday. Wow...that means this Mavs team is so deep that Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse will be coming off the bench. Errrmm....wow.

The Captain
11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
I honestly don't think Terry or Stackhouse will mesh well with this team as they are both very "Me" first players and Dallas is already full of scorers. Harris is a better fit, and is starting probably, because he is willing to share the ball.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
11-03-2004, 04:07 AM
So far, so good.

A good win, but not a great one. I liked what I saw from Harris offensively and defensively. He didn't score, but he distributed like a veteran and made Mike Bibby look ridiculous. They let me down a bit defensively in the second half, but I definitely see a much improved team from last year.

The Captain
11-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Say, KB, if you're interested, I've started a fantasy league where you select one team to play as for the entire season. If you're interested, you've got until Friday to join up. This is open to everyone.

Yahoo League ID#: 198559
Password: streetball

Take care all.

Strider
11-04-2004, 01:54 AM
The Warriors will make the playoffs this year.

No, really.

Del Murder
11-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Boy I'm sure glad they locked up that Troy Murphy. Hoo boy.

diddlydoo
11-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Knicks are looking a bit better this year (thank goodness). The Nets are terrible.. can't believe what's gone on with that franchise.

Del Murder
11-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Shaq is in too good of shape and has been too long without a title. I say he proves it wasn't Phil or Kobe in LA and Miami sneaks off with this one. In the West I agree with Dingo and like the Spurs.

Teams to watch: Denver, Utah

Kirobaito
11-08-2004, 04:25 AM
That Texas Triangle is gonna screw up a lot of good teams. Sacto learned it first hand; that's quite a tough opening schedule.

Del Murder
11-08-2004, 06:05 AM
Yeah, all three teams are pretty decent. Three home openers on the road in the first three games. That shouldn't happen, but no use complaining. Best for the Kings to forget about it and concentrate on the other 79 games.