PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough of you, FF!! >=O

Xander
11-01-2004, 08:12 PM
I've got to a stage now where I've mostly lost interest in Final Fantasy for now, got bored of the random battles and saving the world.

I think the ending of X-2 put me off, cos it made me mad, and then I had to play it again to get the Perfect ending >=O But having to be so careful making sure I got everything, well it was too much effort for lazy old me, so I've pretty much given up on that now.

Then I just got obsessed with other things, like RO. The last time I played FF was August I think.

So what about you, the people that haven't played FF for a long time. What put you off/made you stop playing it, and how long since you played it? And do you think you will play it again?

I think I might get FFXII when it's out but of course that will be agggges. I still have the old ones which I haven't completed but I really can't work up any enthusiasm to now.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Remember that FFXII isn't going to have random battles. Pretty safe to say there'll still be world-saving, though.

Takara
11-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Lack of time, mostly. Sometime I lose interest in FF too due to playing too much.

In time like those, I put the controller down for a couple of months and do something else, like writing, drawing, playing other games.

Then once in a while, I get hit by nostalgia and begin playing the games again. :)

It's a normal thing to get tired of something you like dueto surexposition.

Chris
11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Ohh...
Repetitive random battles, I really hate it so much.
Well...I guess; the one thing that really puts me off is that I already
know what's going to happen...therefor no surprices or anything.
I still love playing through the games though,
whenever I feel bored while I'm playing a beautiful tune comes along and saves the day.

I wanna start over with Final Fantasy VIII...I just don't know if
I have the strenght to carry it through.
After all; Final Fantasy VIII is the longest of them all.

Big D
11-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Every now and then, I pick up one of the FFs I've not played for a while, and start a new game. It's fun getting reminded of all the nice details and scenes that give each game its unique greatness.
For instance, last night I started playing FFX again. I prefer playing through an entire game and enjoying the plot and characters, rather than getting to the end once then spending a hundred hours or so levelling up to get an 'ultimate party'... though I have done that in FFVII to X-2:D

Old Manus
11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Last time I played an FF was a couple of months back. And that was FFX. I tried my "new" game which I hadn't played in ages and tried beating Dark Ixion. Failed. Turned off.

I think the ending of X-2 put me off, cos it made me mad, and then I had to play it again to get the Perfect ending >=O But having to be so careful making sure I got everything, well it was too much effort for lazy old me, so I've pretty much given up on that now.

I spent ages trying to get the perfect ending, to find it was utter crap. An extra minute or so of Tidus and Yuna doing nothing. It wasn't even in full FMV for chrissakes!

Jolts
11-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Whenever I feel like playing an FF game, but not really in the mood (I know, it's confusing), I just think back and remember the good parts of it. Then I try to get to those good parts before quitting for another time.

Examples:
FFV - Fun game, plus I haven't beaten it yet. So, I must play it :lol:.
FFVI - Well, I haven't beaten it yet, so I don't need a reason.
FFVII - well, I almost don't need a reason to play this game, it's just outright fun :D
FFVIII - I like that menacing sound they play whenever Ultimecia is involved with something (when you're in the sewers with Quistis, when Ultimecia takes over Rinoa, etc...)
FFIX - I don't know, I have to think of some really good parts usually, like the Bahamut vs Alexander part.
FFX - This is also pretty fun. I usually don't need a good reason.
FFX-2 - Well, I've only beaten it once, and I blazed through, so I need to eventually play it again to see the good and perfect endings (yeah, I missed the good...forgot about pushing 'X').
Final Fantasy Tactics - The battles alone are the best thing in this game, and that's pretty all the game is. Therefor, I need only think of the battles :D.
Any FF game not listed, I don't own.

Rostum
11-03-2004, 06:45 AM
If you put down RO for nearly a month, you would think otherwise. Let me tell you MMORPG's do take up your life and a lot of your interests too. When I was playing FFXI (for nearly a year) I could not even look at an FF game, or any other game for that matter.

I've recently put FFXI down for nearly a month now, and I suddenly have this urge to re-play FF7.

Sefie1999AD
11-03-2004, 01:56 PM
I often have times when I don't really feel like playing any games. It doesn't mean I've lost interest in them, though. Maybe I've just played them too much and need a break, or I don't have time to play them or I've got other things to do. I remember when I started my 3rd game of FF7 in autumn 2002. I played it so rarely that I finished it only in early 2004. That game lasted for about 50-60 hours so it wasn't the length of the game that made the game last so long for me. I did have a lot of fun when I actually played it, though.

This year, I've played FFX-2 on February, FFT on March/April, SD3 on May and FF3j on June. After that, I haven't really played any games. Sometimes I play SD3 for maybe an hour, and when I'm back home, I might revisit some old save games in KH and FFX-2 and have fun playing them for about an hour, but that's about it.

Xander, I'll give you a simple suggestion. Give yourself time. Take a break from playing FFs. After a while (maybe a few months, maybe around a year), you may want to play them again and they'll feel fresh again. You should avoid playing too much or playing the same game over and over again because that will make you grow tired of the game.

Being a perfectionist isn't a good idea, either. Play games to enjoy them, not to master them. I remember leveling up to level ** in my last game of Chrono Trigger in the years 2000-2001. I beat the game that way in 36 hours. Out of that time, about 10-15 hours were spent on the storyline and the rest on leveling up. I reached The Black Omen at about 20 hours, and after that, I did nothing but fought the same enemies over and over again until I got all my level 60 guys to level **. That certainly was tedious. Sure, I still love the game, but I haven't felt like playing it after leveling up like that. As for FFX-2, I got to about 76-77% completion with normal playing and got the good ending, and I had fun. But if I was supposed to play it for about a hundred extra hours just to get a pointless 2-minute-long extra ending scene that isn't even in FMV form and hardly explains anything about the story, I'd most likely lose my interest in the game around the time I'm starting to get over 90% completion.

Games are meant to be something you can enjoy and have fun with, not something that you'll be obsessed to complete in every possible way. So take it easy with them, maybe take a break and do other things, or if you still want to play video games, try another genres. After playing through different genres, returning to RPGs and FFs may feel nice and fresh when you later start playing them again. :)

Black Roses
11-06-2004, 05:41 AM
I often have times when I don't really feel like playing any games. It doesn't mean I've lost interest in them, though. Maybe I've just played them too much and need a break, or I don't have time to play them or I've got other things to do. I remember when I started my 3rd game of FF7 in autumn 2002. I played it so rarely that I finished it only in early 2004. That game lasted for about 50-60 hours so it wasn't the length of the game that made the game last so long for me. I did have a lot of fun when I actually played it, though.

Games are meant to be something you can enjoy and have fun with, not something that you'll be obsessed to complete in every possible way. So take it easy with them, maybe take a break and do other things, or if you still want to play video games, try another genres. After playing through different genres, returning to RPGs and FFs may feel nice and fresh when you later start playing them again. :)

amen...
it has been a year since i last played ff9...
not for loss of interest but it was scratched up as hell so it gathered dust...
when i was hit by nostalgia from CC i strove to get past disc 1 [it was most scratch therefore glitched ALOT], i did it and i am now on disc 4.

Xander
11-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Seph, thanks for the advice and I think I probably will play FF again just not for a fair while... ^^

Del Murder
11-07-2004, 10:50 PM
These days I get tired of the games becomming too modern and less, well, mideval I guess. I'd rather my characters look like knights and monsters than people from my calculus classes. Square still puts out a quality product though, and it is enough to keep me hooked.

Trumpet Thief
11-07-2004, 10:55 PM
chaos: I agree. I hope Square doesn't push the "fantasy" into the direction of "reality". FFIX did a good job in making us re-live the joys of the medieval times, and a fantasy based plot, although all get me hooked.

Rubedo: The random battles, if they do not occur excessively, are okay with me. Although sometimes, they do get a tad annoying. I might be taking a large break from Final Fantasy as well, as I have been swept into the wave of Xenosaga :p