PDA

View Full Version : In Your Opinion, worst FF ever...

InfiniteSeraph
11-03-2004, 02:58 AM
Also give a reason for why it is.

Out of the ones i have played which are I,II,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X, I would have to say the one i disliked the most would have to be II. I mean the story was boring, the whole stat system was very weak, and all round the whole atmosphere was sort of dull. But hey, it's Final Fantasy and i have to have it in my collection. So what about you guys?

Jolts
11-03-2004, 05:39 AM
I own:
Final Fantasy V (Anthologies)
Final Fantasy VI (Anthologies)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy Tactics

I've briefly played:
Final Fantasy (Origins)
Final Fantasy II (Origins)
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy (one of the gameboy ones)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I've beaten:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy Tactics

That being said, I disliked FFIX the most. One reason is because they talk too much. Another reason is simply the Choco Hot & Cold mini-game. Sure, it's fun to play every once in a while, but I personally hardly EVER get Chocographs, and it's very annoying, especially since you have to pay to play it (not much, but it builds up on me).

---EDIT---
Just remembered about FFTA (added it to the list in this edit), and, in my opinion, it sucked more than FFIX (much more). So, FFIX is no longer at the bottom of my list, FFTA is.

Chris
11-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I own:

• Final Fantasy I (Origins)
• Final Fantasy II (Origins)
• Final Fantasy IV (Anthology)
• Final Fantasy V (Anthology)
• Final Fantasy VII
• Final Fantasy VIII
• Final Fantasy IX
• Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

I’ve briefly played:

• Final Fantasy IV (It sucks, seriously)

I’ve beaten:

• Final Fantasy I (Origins)
• Final Fantasy II (Origins)
• Final Fantasy V (Anthology)
• Final Fantasy VII
• Final Fantasy VIII
• Final Fantasy IX
• Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Of all the games I’ve played there’s not really one I didn’t like.
That being said; I didn’t really like Final Fantasy IV.
The story’s dull and the whole atmosphere is SO boring.

InfiniteSeraph
11-04-2004, 03:38 AM
Well if you guys are going to state each FF you owned, briefly played,and beaten then i will too.

Own:
Final Fantasy I(Origins)
Final Fantasy II(Origins)
Final Fantasy IV(Chronicles)*got it today*
Final Fantasy V(Anthology)
Final Fantasy VI(Anthology)
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy Tatics Advanced

Beaten:
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X

Still playing:
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy II

And sadly i haven't purchased VII or VIII because I just kept borrowing it from my friend. Now it's kind of hard to buy two games that you wont be playing cause you've already played and beaten them twice while mastering them mostly.

Necronopticous
11-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Own
Final Fantasy I (Origins)
Final Fantasy II (Origins)
Final Fantasy IV (Chronicles)
Final Fantasy V (Anthology)
Final Fantasy VI (Anthology)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX + PC)
Final Fantasy VIII (PSX + PC)
Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
Final Fantasy XI (PC)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)

Beaten
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasu XI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Need to play
Final Fantasy III (I desparately need to play this game)

The worst game in the series is Mystic Quest, hands down. If that is not an option, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. If it must be from the roman-numerally-numbered series then I say Final Fantasy V. I am still fond of all three of these games, but they are my choices for worst if I had to pick.

Lord Chainsaw
11-04-2004, 05:03 AM
I own them all except Final Fantasy III, however I have played it over an emulator.

The worst is Final Fantasy X-2. I used to believe Final Fantasy III was the worst, but after playing X-2, I realized that no matter how bad I thought III was, this X-2 was infinitely worse.

I don't like the 100% sidequest in that game. It's not challenging to get, it's just annoying to get. You have to play all sorts of profoundly stupid minigames to get 100% and you can't skip any of the incredibly moronic dialogue. Not to mention you need to keep about 7 or 8 saves because they don't bother to show you the tenths position in your percentile.

Story is very weak, which is inexcusable (especially for a Final Fantasy). Every character in the entire game is annoying except for that one dude from Djose temple with the eyepatch. I have to listen to these terrible one liners every time I cast a damn spell. I'm even subjected to Paine's bothersome "hmph" EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME SHE KILLS AN ENEMY in an attempt to show how "sassy" she is.

The game pretends that it's "non linear." There's a difference between non linear gameplay and linear gameplay with 90% sidequests. Not that I'd care to see either ever again.

Dearest Tragedy
11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
I've beaten games I through X, with the exception of III, plus I've beaten X-2 and Tactics. My least favorite is V. The story didn't draw me in and the characters weren't intriguing or memorable like in most the other games. Even the music seemed not as good as the rest of the series.

On the other hand, I attempted Mystic Quest on an emulator, and couldn't get myself to finish it. I guess I might dislike that one more than V.

abrojtm
11-05-2004, 02:40 AM
I own:
All of them except III(j) (unless you include emulator)

I've beaten:
All of them (except for XI which doesn't have a true end anyway)

My least favorite:
FFII(j) or FFVIII

Edit: Come to think of it, my least favorite is FF:CC if you include that.

DJZen
11-05-2004, 03:39 AM
My vote for least favorite goes to FFIX. It just felt like they were trying too hard to straddle the old school/new school fence, but I thought they picked the wrong elements from each and that the game suffered as a result.

thornwithin
11-05-2004, 04:40 AM
First I gotta give a shout out for FF4, I'm surprised everybody dislikes it. I thought the story in FF4 was very involved, if nothing else than because there were way more characters involved and they are all fairly well developed. The gameplay doesn't have the customizability that the others do, but imho that's not a bad thing, and in fact they moved closer to that in 9 and 10 by giving each character a unique skill set.

Which brings me to my least favorite game, FF8. The story is kinda complicated, but the characters in your party are not all that involved. You basically have 3 characters: Squall, Rinoa, and "everyone else". Seriously, there's absolutely no distiguinishing characteristics - they even all freaking grew up at the same orphanage! (puke). And game-play wise, there is essentially zero difference between any of the characters, the only difference is their weapons / limit breaks which is a very minute difference. You might as well be playing a party of clones. At least in, say FF5 or FF1 your characters distinguished themselves over the course of the game. Here, you can switch someone from a figher to a wizard with 3 clicks of your junction.

the game play system is kinda stupid too, cuz it requires you to sit there for hours on end drawing 100's of copies of spells from enemies. What ever happend to actually *fighting* enemies to build up your characters? It's also unnecessarily complicated, with two separate layers of customizability (GF's plus spells). And then you have the dichotomy of not wanting to cast your spells cuz that makes your junctions weaker.

And to top it all off, you have one of the most boring final bosses ever. Seriously, what kind of name is Ultimecia? She has no real interaction with the story except for "some random person who's trying to take over the world." They haven't had a boss so boring since FF1.

one more thing: I don't think the series is called "Final Sci Fi".

Lord Chainsaw
11-05-2004, 04:55 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sci-Fi setting in a Final Fantasy.

It is terribly close minded to think you need to have a fantasy setting. Do you know how boring it would be if every FF game had one. I for one am extremely glad they don't and I applaud Square (and Phantasy Star for that matter) for breaking the genre stereotype.

escobert
11-05-2004, 05:51 AM
I own
Final Fantasy I(Origins)
Final Fantasy II(Origins)
Final Fantasy IV(Chronicles)
Final Fantasy V(Anthology)
Final Fantasy VI(Anthology)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tatics Advanced
Final Fantasy adventure
Final Fantasy legend 1&2

I've played all of them and beat VII, VIII, Tactics and Tactics advance
But out of the ones I played (most I got to the final boss and was to lazy to beat him) I would say II, IX, and X were the worst. I didn't really like II for just the random battles pissed me off. IX tried to be like the older games but failed. X god... everything was bad except the graphic and I like VIIIs better :rolleyes2

MoonsEcho
11-05-2004, 05:57 AM
I think my least favorite out of the games I've played would have to be II. Just couldn't get into it at all. -_-

I also prefer the fantasy, medieval-type settings. I like swords and castles and dragons better than industrialism and machinery any day. But that's just my preference. And I do think it would be terribly boring if they were all the same. A little bit of a mix here and there is good.

SomethingBig
11-05-2004, 06:25 AM
I mean the story was boring, the whole stat system was very weak, and all round the whole atmosphere was sort of dull.
It was for the NES, you know.

You all know my answer to this. Out of all the FFs, FFX is my least favorite. There's absolutely nothing good about FFX except for the graphics. Boring and tedious gameplay, linear dungeons/maps, annoying voices, a horrible, linear, cliché plot, and a horrible main character.

Loony BoB
11-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I've played (estimate of story progress)
Final Fantasy (roughly 25-50%)
Final Fantasy II (roughly 10-25%)
Final Fantasy III (roughly 10-25%)
Final Fantasy V (roughly 95-99%)
Final Fantasy VI (roughly 75%)
Final Fantasy X (roughly 90-95%)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (roughly 50%)

I've beaten
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

Not the greatest resume, but that's mainly due to me only playing until I can guess the story or until I get bored. I'm a big game critic when it comes to entertainment. It takes a hell of a lot for a game to keep me playing it even close to the end. Some might say "Oh, you need to play the whole thing to really enjoy it!" What's the point in that? I'll play it while I enjoy it. Once I don't enjoy it, why play it? A game is made to be enjoyed, not to put you to sleep or waste your imagination away.

That being said, I still gave FFX the benefit of the doubt. That being said, FFX failed to make me think on any level and it was an okay story but I would have much rather watched it as a movie, because to me, that's all it was. A movie - but you have to keep pressing buttons in order to get to the next scene. Imagine having to press a certain code into a remote just to see the next scene of a movie at the cinema. That's what I compare FFX to. It was uninvolving in every way. FFX in my opinion was the worst FF I've ever played and hopefully it will stay that way. I don't want to think of what could be worse.

Wuggly Blight
11-05-2004, 04:54 PM
I own
FF1
FF4
FF5
FF6
FF6 (anthology)
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF10
FF11

FF mystic Quest
FF Legends 3
FF tactics GBA
Chocobo racing

I find 10 to be the worst and 9 was a tad iffy. To me 5,6,7 was great, 8 was good, 9 was average, 10 was poor, 11 is good but I dont play it often

Takara
11-05-2004, 09:01 PM
I agree with everything thornwithin said.

Ouch!
11-05-2004, 09:33 PM
I own. (Completion percentage at the side.)

Final Fantasy I (95%)
Final Fantasy II (5%)
Final Fantasy IV (70%)
Final Fantasy V (5%)
Final Fantasy VI (50%)
Final Fantasy VII (100%)
Final Fantasy VIII (100%)
Final Fantasy IX (100%)
Final Fantasy X (100%)
Final Fantasy X-2 (100%)
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy Tactics (100%)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (5%)

My least favorite? Final Fantasy Tactics by far. The lack of plot ticked me off. I guess I was expecting more, as Final Fantasy Tactic's plot was suberb and very deep. Granted, I put it down before I gave it much of a chance, but the judges ticked me off to hell and back.

Of the games I've completed, FFVIII has to be my least favorite. The whole, "Edea was possessed!" twist was horribly cliche. I hate it when somebody has been possessed and then they're good all of a sudden.

The love story between Squall and Rinoa was horribly annoying. Throughout the beginning of the game, Squall constantly admitted at finding Rinoa irritating. Then she goes comatose and he's absolutely head over heels in love.

Then their relationship became the main focus of the game, which isn't all bad, except that the other characters got less than minimal developement. Sure, we find out they were all at the orphanage together, but that's about it.

We stop at Quistis's feelings for Squall. Irvine doesn't go on about his "loneliness". Selphie's old home got blown up, but all her friends are okay. She and Irvine get together just as randomly as Squall and Rinoa. Zell gets a girlfriend, one without a name, mind you. There's no developement about them as characters. They don't come to face things about themselves. It's boring so boring I can sum it up in a sentence or two for each character.

Ouch!
11-05-2004, 10:54 PM
I own. (Completion percentage at the side.)

Final Fantasy I (95%)
Final Fantasy II (5%)
Final Fantasy IV (70%)
Final Fantasy V (5%)
Final Fantasy VI (50%)
Final Fantasy VII (100%)
Final Fantasy VIII (100%)
Final Fantasy IX (100%)
Final Fantasy X (100%)
Final Fantasy X-2 (100%)
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy Tactics (100%)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (5%)

My least favorite? Final Fantasy Tactics by far. The lack of plot ticked me off. I guess I was expecting more, as Final Fantasy Tactic's plot was suberb and very deep. Granted, I put it down before I gave it much of a chance, but the judges ticked me off to hell and back.

Of the games I've completed, FFVIII has to be my least favorite. The whole, "Edea was possessed!" twist was horribly cliche. I hate it when somebody has been possessed and then they're good all of a sudden.

The love story between Squall and Rinoa was horribly annoying. Throughout the beginning of the game, Squall constantly admitted at finding Rinoa irritating. Then she goes comatose and he's absolutely head over heels in love.

Then their relationship became the main focus of the game, which isn't all bad, except that the other characters got less than minimal developement. Sure, we find out they were all at the orphanage together, but that's about it.

We stop at Quistis's feelings for Squall. Irvine doesn't go on about his "loneliness". Selphie's old home got blown up, but all her friends are okay. She and Irvine get together just as randomly as Squall and Rinoa. Zell gets a girlfriend, one without a name, mind you. There's no developement about them as characters. They don't come to face things about themselves. It's boring so boring I can sum it up in a sentence or two for each character.

Ryth
11-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Final Fantasy VIII is teh suck!! Junction= painstakingly awful!!!!

Del Murder
11-07-2004, 10:58 PM
I've played all but III. II is my least favorite. The odd level up system rubbed me the wrong way.