PDA

View Full Version : Viewpoint media player can [censored for the preservation of your mental well-being]

Peegee
11-04-2004, 10:45 AM
So I stumbled out of bed and crashed into the floor. Swearing and waking up the neighbours and my roommates, I groped randomly at the air until I found my seat in front of the computer. Turning on the monitor, I was befuddled to see an informative box at the bottom right:

Viewpoint media player has updated your program files blah blah no need to reboot asl you are my friend, can I have five bucks?

So I thinks to myself I thinks: "ViewWHAT player? I didn't install no fsking crap excuse for a [church organs blaring to censor inappropriate dialogue] media player! Who the [cut to a happy scene of two people dancing in a party]" I fly over to add/remove programs, and surely there it was VIEWPOINT MEDIA PLAYER SITTING THERE IN THE INSTALLED PROGRAM SECTION LAUGHING AT MY STUMPY LEGS AND ASIAN DEMEANOR WHAT A JERK. I uninstalled the ugly malfunction of a wtf and promptly went to google to figure out what was going on.

Seems Viewpoint Media Player is installed with every happy new installation of aim. YOU MIGHT HAVE IT TOO AND IT'S FILLED WITH SPYWARE OOH SPAI WEAR PUT IT ON IT WON'T ITCH YOUR CROTCH LOLzzzz

So check your system for the offending thing, uninstall it, then hit windoze key + F to search for files, and erase everything involving 'viewpoint'. You may need to safe mode to erase "AxMetaStream_0302021C_.dll"

"wait wtf Viewpoint I thought you uninstalled you!"

"haha you stupid fat user! I only made you think so. Now I'm going to install pictures of PG in your computer! bwahahahahaha"

[note: I found viewpoint.exe in c:\program files\aim\system files]

And this is PG's excuse for a public service announcement.

Mo-Nercy
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
You scare Mo. :D

Shlup
11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
I noticed this too! It was like "OMG I updated for you!" and I was like "Who the fsk are you? OMG! New toolbar! AHH! *uninstall*"

Stupid AIM...

Peegee
11-04-2004, 11:07 AM
shluppy chu did you delete the aim system files? Everybody who installed aim should just delete that entire folder :D

Baloki
11-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Probably worth running Adaware and Spybot as well, and I was wondering why I was getting vists to my site from viewpoint player, who the hell would visit my site?!!!!?!?!

Shlup
11-04-2004, 11:29 AM
shluppy chu did you delete the aim system files? Everybody who installed aim should just delete that entire folder :D
Si. And I ran SpyBot and Adaware.

crono_logical
11-04-2004, 12:06 PM
AIM is spyware. We knew that already.

If you must use the AIM network, there's plenty of good alternatives, like GAIM, or possibly Trillian if that's improved since I last used it :p

Peegee
11-04-2004, 12:20 PM
will gaim allow file transfers and/or direct connect with users of aim?

crono_logical
11-04-2004, 12:31 PM
I dunno, take a look :p I don't use the AIM network myself :p

theundeadhero
11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanx for the announcement, I just installed that last week. Viewplayer is now gone.

Lindy
11-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Don't forget that AIM also installs WildTangent.

Yeah, I found Viewpoint ages ago, and I'm usually in the mood of "wtf is that? *delete*", so it's all gone for me.

Baloki
11-04-2004, 12:47 PM
trillain does allow direct connections but its much less user friendly then others, well I think it did allow them...

Yamaneko
11-04-2004, 04:26 PM
I like gaim. :)

m4tt
11-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I haven't updated AIM in a while. I don't think I will update it now.

Dr Unne
11-04-2004, 05:40 PM
The good thing about using Windows is that you needn't be bothered by such things such as finding new programs, or deciding which programs to install and which not to, which is really just a waste of your time anyways. You just plug your computer into a network and let the decisions be made for you. Who DOESN'T need a media player? Everyone does. Someone anticipated that need and provided you one. If they happen to collect marketing data on you in the meantime, it's only to provide you with other goods and services which you no doubt need as well. After they've gone through the trouble of providing you with a free media player, I think you owe them the courtesy of letting them track your internet usage, at the very least.

Rye
11-04-2004, 08:30 PM
I hate those kind of programs. And...

Seems Viewpoint Media Player is installed with every happy new installation of aim. YOU MIGHT HAVE IT TOO AND IT'S FILLED WITH SPYWARE OOH SPAI WEAR PUT IT ON IT WON'T ITCH YOUR CROTCH LOLzzzz

xDDDD

DMKA
11-04-2004, 08:43 PM
The good thing about using Windows is that you needn't be bothered by such things such as finding new programs, or deciding which programs to install and which not to, which is really just a waste of your time anyways. You just plug your computer into a network and let the decisions be made for you. Who DOESN'T need a media player? Everyone does. Someone anticipated that need and provided you one. If they happen to collect marketing data on you in the meantime, it's only to provide you with other goods and services which you no doubt need as well. After they've gone through the trouble of providing you with a free media player, I think you owe them the courtesy of letting them track your internet usage, at the very least.
So you finally realized how much Windows is the superior operating system eh? Glad to hear. :love:

fire_of_avalon
11-05-2004, 03:06 AM
When I reinstalled AIM, it asked me if I wanted Viewpoint and I said no, go away even before AIM installed.

But this AIM is stupid and doesn't listen to me when I tell it not to pop up the AIM NEWS STUFF AND BLAH on opening the program. It makes me mildly irritated.

Rostum
11-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Everyone should use either MSN Messenger or ICQ.

ZeZipster
11-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I use Trillian... The old Trillian...

Chzn8r
11-07-2004, 01:36 AM
One reason why I haven't gotten a new version of AIM since 4.8

GrimmReaper
11-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I came acrost the viewpoint thing when I was just randomly deleting stuff one day.

Giga Guess
11-08-2004, 01:29 AM
Feel better Bert?