PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Flashback007
11-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Ok, so I heard a lot about this game. It is good, it's not good. You need to buy it, or you don't need to buy it. Also I readt in a another topic that the games are related with each other. Ok so I have a few questions:

1. Is Star Ocean: Till the End of Time a good game?
2. Should I buy Star Ocean: Till the End of Time? Or save my money on a better game to come?
3. Is it a problem that I didn't play the other parts of the game?
4. Should I move to America so that I first can rent it instead of asking these question to you, because I live the Netherlands and you cannot rent new games there?

Venom65437
11-04-2004, 08:29 PM
This is my first Star Ocean game and I like it a lot! I recommend you buy it! I'd tell you a lot about it, but I haven't played that far into it.

Lord Chainsaw
11-05-2004, 05:10 AM
1. Is Star Ocean: Till the End of Time a good game?
2. Should I buy Star Ocean: Till the End of Time? Or save my money on a better game to come?
3. Is it a problem that I didn't play the other parts of the game?
4. Should I move to America so that I first can rent it instead of asking these question to you, because I live the Netherlands and you cannot rent new games there?

1. It is the best game I've played on a next generation console hands down. It might even be able to knock a game off my top 5 when I'm done with Sphere 211. So yes, it is good. You just need to have an open mind when it comes to the plot. The game gets a lot of criticism for a particularly controversial twist towards the end. If you play it you'll know what I mean.

2. I would think this game is a must buy. The main quest is 50 hours long (for me anyway) and that isn't all. I beat the main game at level 65, but levels go all the way to 255. After you finish the game a bonus dungeon opens up, with a boss that has 2 and a half times the HP the final boss has. After you beat him another dungeon opens up with 211 floors! The boss there has over 20 times what the last boss has. After that another bonus boss opens up with 50 times the HP of the final boss. After that, you are officially one third of the way through the game. You may then play the game again on two higher difficulty settings and ultimately take on the strongest boss in the game: one with 60,000,000 HP. So it will keep you busy for a while. And it isn't just busy work, it's a fun game with the best battle system I've seen in an RPG to this day.

3. No, that won't be a problem. The references between the games are very few, and there are virtually no story ties with the previous Star Oceans, aside from one or two dictionary entries regarding one of the planets you visit in Star Ocean II. The only other similarity I can think of is a cameo from a mascot Tri Ace boss and some guest appearences by Valkyrie Profile characters not even in the main story.

4. You won't get much out of a rental. Most of the really fun stuff comes after you beat the game, which will take a few weeks.

The game features "Battle Trophies" which are given to you after you meet certain requirements in battle. A few examples are:

1. Go 50 consecutive battles without taking a hit.
2. Guard against an attack 5 consecutive times.
3. Win 10 consecutive battles alone.
4. Dodge the Firebolt spell
5. Beat "X" boss in under 1 minute.
6. Beat "X" boss without the character you are controlling getting hit.
7. Do over "X" amount of damage
8. Win only using spells
9. Break enemy guard over 1000 times
10. Finish the battle with 7777, 77777 HP.

Some battle trophies are ridiculous to get, such as "guard against an enemy attack 500 consecutive times in one battle" and "beat the final boss at level 1" But the fun is in collecting as many as you can. Depending on how many you collect, different bonuses will open up such as Vs. mode costumes, a sound test, and even a new battle system. Total of 300 battle trophies in the whole game. I'm on my second playthrough and I have 94.

Fun game. Give it a shot. Although that just might be the Star Ocean fanatic in me saying that.

Teek
11-05-2004, 07:45 PM
I can tell you that I just started it. While so far I couldn't say whether or not it's the best game to grace the console, it definately is fun. I like the atmosphere, the plot is interesting (if, admittedly so far, not entirely original), and the style is cool.

I'd say to rent it first, check it out for yourself. My first impression is a positive one. :) The only problem is that if you're a hardcore Final Fantasy one (for example, you only like games that are similar to Final Fantasy mechanics), then it may not be for you - the game is just different enough that it takes awhile to learn to play.

sephiroth9006
11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
it's actually a great game and i'm getting used to it but i'm stuck in that mine place and i aint got a clue where to go can someone help??

Ultima Shadow
11-08-2004, 02:18 PM
I haven't played it yet but it seems great! :cool: I think I'll buy it...

NM
11-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Should you buy Star Ocean : Till The End Of Time? Yes! Go buy it now!

Alright the story's on the wrong side of dodgy and the late plot twist is, in my opinion an odd place to take the plot, but it dosn't matter as the game's just damn good fun to play. It's all down to the Batlle System, which is kind of like Zelda spliced with Final Fantasy. You pick the special attacks that your characters have and on what button's there assigned. Heavy attacks go on O and can't be blocked, Light attacks go on X. But the added bonus is you can chain your attacks together to increase the damage, so they can do upto 3 times the normal damage. But you need to work out the timing for yourself to link them. You also have a menu which when opened pauses the game and allows you to use item's, magic, etc.

I'd never played any of the other Star Ocean games (I don't think they got released in the UK.) but I gave it ago and it's now one of my favourite RPG's.

It's not worth renting as you wouldn't get very far in a couple of days. It'll take at least 30/40 hours to complete. And thats just the main story.

it's actually a great game and i'm getting used to it but i'm stuck in that mine place and i aint got a clue where to go can someone help??

If your at the bit where you need to ride on the hauler, pick the standard type and go Left, Right, Left, Left, Left and you should end up at the exit.

Carnage
11-10-2004, 01:42 AM
I was thinking about getting this game as well so i figured id post here instead of makeing a new topic.

What is the battle system like?
Whats the leveling system like?
how do the weapons work?
Is there magic?

ChaosCalibur
11-13-2004, 05:25 AM
Battle System- It's kinda repetative, well at least once you fought like 2000 times :\ But the combos are pretty neat
Leveling system is just like in any other game, you gain lvls (Up to 255 i think, or at least 100) you also gain skill points which this time you spend on your combat abilities.
The weapons are unique, you can find special stones and enchant them into weapons, which give them certant abilities,Like the oricalcum stone, which can boost your attack by thousands of points if you smith/alch it right :P
Magic, there's plenty of it, also has unique combos.

I hope that answers it...

Cloud_Strife14
11-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Star ocean till the end of time is one of the funnest and best games i have ever played! The battles are kick a$$! I'm still working on the side-quests and i beat the game (on easy), but it really gets hard in the secret dungeons (Maze of Tribulations, urssa lava caves and sphere 211) I still can't beat Gabriel Celesta, but i can beat the demon lords some how.

ChaosCalibur
11-19-2004, 07:15 PM
I beat Gabriel, just half hour ago... I don't know how i did it, he's just super cheap! And now i get killed by mere bats at sphere... There's just so tiny, my combo's can't even reach 'em :mad:

sephiroth9006
11-21-2004, 10:00 PM
then use that that airal (Or however it's spelt)
you hit nearly everything with that well i do