PDA

View Full Version : How to use magic and such

Ragnarok
11-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi, I'm new to this game and I have a few questions. First, I dont really understand how magic quite works. The thing that sucks is that I can only cast like 6 spells and I have to go stay at an inn to be able to cast magic again. Is there a way to learn the spell so I can use them infinitely or how does that work? Also, Im in Pravoca and there is a lot fo stuff I want to buy but I make like no Gil fighting the monsters around there is there any places besides that peninsula that I can find some Ogres or something around there? Thanks.

Remnant
11-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Pravoka... that's FF 1, IIRC.

The trick with magic is to know when to use it. Most people seem to have the opposite problem- they're so worried about running out, they don't use it when they should. Regardless, if you are running out all the time, you probably don't need to be casting fire on forest imps or other monsters your fighter can dispatch easily.

If you're going into a dungeon, you should conserve more. If you're wandering around outside a city that you can walk right back into, blast away, commenting to those around you "I love the smell of LIT in the morning... it's that smell, that... ozone smell... it smells like... victory."

FF 1 isn't particularly kind on the Gil front, but there shouldn't be anything that you are going to have too much trouble with that early on, even if you only have mediocre equipment- my first run through, I marched right into Pravoka, dealt with the little problem there, and moved on to elf land, where ogres roam the plains and inflation is rampant.

Though, many people when reaching elf land take some time to sit around and level up in the plains outside of the city. You could stand the levels before moving on.

DJZen
11-07-2004, 03:22 AM
You DID learn the spell so that you can use it infinitely. Your infinite use just happens to be limited by the amount of MP you have. MP in this game is dividied into tiers. Instead of having general MP that go toward any spell, you have a designated number of uses of any spell on that tier. So instead of having to do the calculations to figure out how many times you'll be able to use a spell, you can just look at the number. The number of MP you have per tier increases as you level up. When you cast a spell, you use one MP from that tier. MP can not be re-allocted. When you're out of MP in that tier, no more spells from that tier. In order to regain MP you must rest in an INN or a CABIN. This is actually not unlike the rest of the FF series, only this game was made before ethers had been dreamed up.

P.S. when posting in a forum about multiple games, it is helpful to specify which of those games you're talking about.

Demon eye
12-05-2004, 05:19 PM
I dont get something here...i have a black mage level 50 and i use fire on Garland(yes garland i just fight and fight untill i can just stand it anymore) and i run out with one shot. :(

abrojtm
12-05-2004, 06:33 PM
There's a place called "Finger-tip Peninsula" Northeast of Provokia that has uber-high level monsters that you can fight for massive Gil/Exp if you're hurting that bad. They are hard though, and chances are that you'll only be able to fight one battle at a time without resting in between. If you really don't like the magic system, DoS changed it into the same format as the other FFs.

Remnant
12-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Hmm... you may be experiencing a bit of unfamiliarity with how resting works in FFI.

If you are resting, and then using up your MP with one casting of fire, are you using a tent?

In FFI, using tents is good for HP, but the effects on MP are nominal at best. Go rest at an inn and see if that fixes the problem.

Also, what is your max MP at?

DJZen
12-06-2004, 05:01 AM
I dont get something here...i have a black mage level 50 and i use fire on Garland(yes garland i just fight and fight untill i can just stand it anymore) and i run out with one shot. :(

There's some vital bit of info you're not giving us there.....

Flashback007
12-06-2004, 08:41 AM
There's a place called "Finger-tip Peninsula" Northeast of Provokia that has uber-high level monsters that you can fight for massive Gil/Exp if you're hurting that bad. They are hard though, and chances are that you'll only be able to fight one battle at a time without resting in between. If you really don't like the magic system, DoS changed it into the same format as the other FFs.

I thought I was taken out of the Originsversion and also DoS. I have Origins myself and I know the Fingertip, but I never found it on the Origins version. I also once got the download NES-version and there it was on, so am I mistaking and looking wrong on the Origins-versions? Or did they really remove it?

abrojtm
12-07-2004, 12:05 AM
I haven't played Origins, but it's in DoS and the WSC version of FFI.