PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2

Craig
11-07-2004, 12:51 PM
In anticipation of this GREAT game i've decided to make a thread about it Halo 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/halo2/media.html?gcst=halo2_mul1029.asx) go to that link and view some of the videos I suggest E3 2004 Halo 2 Demonstration.

Who else is going to get this game?

edczxcvbnm
11-07-2004, 03:48 PM
I will eventually. But first there is the issue of Half-Life 2 next week and Metroid Prime 2.

Craig
11-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Whens Prime 2 out? That's gonna bling!

edczxcvbnm
11-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Next week...same with half-life 2 and those are bigger games to me than Halo 2. Both those games will be more puzzle based and unique than Halo 2. Halo has always struck me as a generic FPS with nothing really special other than it does it very correctly but because it is generic I look at the others first.

ZeZipster
11-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Next week...same with half-life 2 and those are bigger games to me than Halo 2. Both those games will be more puzzle based and unique than Halo 2. Halo has always struck me as a generic FPS with nothing really special other than it does it very correctly but because it is generic I look at the others first.

If I said something like that in real life, I would be torn apart by a mob of random x-box owners.

Fuzakeru
11-07-2004, 10:17 PM
We've already requested the game 3 months ago and have paid the game off in full at GameStop. Not only that but we have the "Collector Edition" or whatever it is. I've never played HALO so I'm very much looking forward to watching Myles play is constantly. :)

Ouch!
11-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Special Edition reserved almost two months ago.

square_is_the_best
11-08-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm definitely gonna get that. But I need an XBox too.

Lord Chainsaw
11-08-2004, 12:51 AM
You can bet I'll be waiting in line during the wee hours of the morning to get my hands on that collector's edition. I just hope they have it in on that day and not just the regular copies.

Sucky part is I'm going to have to disconnect all the computers to run live until I can buy the xbox specific router. I tried running through live with a normal linksys wireless but it's a no go. Something about a dynamic IP address or some bull like that.

It will be worth it though. Can't wait to order a pizza and just play Halo 2 over xbox live on Tuesday night.

CloudSquallandZidane
11-08-2004, 02:32 AM
I want Halo 2, but first i need to finish building the computer im gonna use to play Half-Life 2. Which is a very expensive computer.

Chzn8r
11-08-2004, 02:48 AM
The one thing setting Halo games apart from other FPSs enough to make a fun experience for me: Vehicles :D That said, when all they've done is add on to the first game, how is this thing getting such perfect scores everywhere? What happened to points off for sequels that are inherently less original (seems to happen to every other sequel)? Eh. I guess every reviewer just thought there'd be blood shed if they didn't obey the hype and give this game huge scores.

Ouch!
11-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Rawr, this thread needs a revival because the game is out. I don't want to make a new thread, 'cause they'd just close that.

I've reserved the special edition, I'm going to pick it up in three hours. <3

gokufusionss1
11-09-2004, 10:38 PM
IT'S GONNA SUCK!!

NINTENDO FANBOT

edczxcvbnm
11-09-2004, 11:07 PM
One of my friends got the game yesterday and we played online for about 2 hours. Capture the flag is TOTAL chaos. The single player is once again...meh.

Shoeberto
11-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Halo 1 was boring. I'm expecting greater things from this one.

I have a few friends with X-boxes that I expect to see with this game.

TasteyPies
11-09-2004, 11:36 PM
A bunch of kids skipped school today for a lan party. Nerds.

Shoeberto
11-09-2004, 11:54 PM
I'd do it if it was a big LAN party that was guaranteed to own.
But yeah, there were kids at my school who did the same two weeks ago for San Andreas. No suprises.

BatChao
11-09-2004, 11:58 PM
I bet everyone's gonna be hooking up their Xboxes at work today during lunch break to play some LAN action... I guess I'll join in on the fun too. I enjoyed the original Halo, but it wasn't really as good as everyone said it was. It was fun, but not mind blowing. I pretty much agree with what ed said. I'm definitely gonna get Metroid Prime 2 before Halo 2.

Strider
11-10-2004, 12:30 AM
I walked into the TV room last night after a bunch of guys had waited in the rain for Halo 2, and I could've sworn it was Halo 1. It looked and played exactly the same.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think it's safe to say that the game is overrated.

Craig
11-10-2004, 12:30 AM
It comes out on Thursday here but today in college I just found out that I need to:

1. Write an essay

2. Do tons of Art ready for an assessment

3. Do a crap load of research

There goes my next 2 weeks. :(

CloudSquallandZidane
11-10-2004, 03:06 AM
A bunch of kids skipped school today for a lan party. Nerds.

Yep the same here. Only i call them bastards cuz i didnt get too. =(

Oh well im going to a giant lan on SATURDAY w00t we'll probably have a few games of Halo 2 going... So it'll be t3h pimp stuff.

Casey
11-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Its so hard to aim FPS on a small controller I very much perfer the mouse/keyboard but for HALO 2 to come out on the pc will be like 2-3 years which is to long.

Cz
11-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Watching the fanbase tear itself apart on IGN is so much fun. It seems nobody is willing to accept that Halo 2 could be anything less than the gaming event of a lifetime. Half the community feel it's a huge disappointment for largely unjustifiable reasons, the other half flame them like morons. Both sides are as dumb as each other. :D

Lord Chainsaw
11-10-2004, 07:18 PM
I walked into the TV room last night after a bunch of guys had waited in the rain for Halo 2, and I could've sworn it was Halo 1. It looked and played exactly the same.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think it's safe to say that the game is overrated.

So let me get this straight? You've never played the game but you know it is overrated?

LH
11-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Let me start this off by saying that the original Halo (multiplayer) was the single most fun game I have ever played in my entire life. The balance between the weapons, the slick handling, the way you could chain attacks into pseudo-combos if you were good enough, the physics, it was all perfect. Perfect. I wouldn't change a single thing about the original Halo. I've played Halo multiplayer on system link for more hours in the last three years than I've worked at a full-time job. I played at work every day on my lunchbreak and I can beat everyone at my job that I just quit man to man in Slayer. I simply love Halo and most people would say that I'm obsessed with it.

That said, I think Bungie took a perfect (I seriously believe that anyone who thinks otherwise needs to play it more first) game, totally redesigned it (I seriously believe that anyone who says it's simply the same game over again needs to play both of them more first) and... ruined it. I won't say that Halo 2 is bad, it's just not anywhere near as good as the original Halo. Not even in the same neighborhood. I went to the midnight madness at EB to get Halo 2 as the very moment that it was available there and as soon as I got home I hooked it up on Live at my friend's house and we played all night. It was breakfast time when I went to sleep, and when I woke up I immediately began playing through that day as well until it was night time. Altogether I'd say I put it about fifteen hours in the multiplayer mode, thoroughly enjoying myself, but the point is that it is nowhere even close to being as good or as fun as the original Halo was.

The balance of the weapons is off, the physics have become less enjoyable, Master Chief's movements seem almost stiff when you try to move too quickly in any pattern other than running straight without swapping any items, and the game almost seems to cater to running and shooting in a straight line rather than pulling acrobatic moves and shooting/clunking in one motion. The amount of time it takes to drop a grenade has grown so the awesome, awesome grenade that you can drop in your last second of life in order to kill your killer is impossible to drop now. Grenades altogether are dumbed down, so remember the chaos it caused when you threw one into a crowd of people in the original? Don't count on it being half as cool, or even killing anyone unless they intentionally stand on it. It's also impossible to run full force at someone, shoot them in the face with the shotgun dropping their shields and then slam them in the face with the butt of the gun instantly afterwards, killing them before they can retaliate. The zooming, long-range pistol of the original is nowhere to be found, so the endless hours I spent in the original to make it so I can spot someone and pick them off with three sweet headshots in a row were wasted. I can't help but think that Bungie took out all the polished skills you need to develop through hours of multiplayer in order to make it more appealing to the average joe.

I think that Halo 2 has two advantages to the original: the energy sword and Xbox Live compatibility. Then I could rattle off a list of fifty reasons why the original was better. The bottom line is that Halo 2 is just a pretty good game, making it a tremendous disappointment for me. :(

Zell's Fists of Fury
11-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Halo 1 was an awesome game, but vastly overrated.
And that's my two cents. More than Likely I won't ever touch Halo 2 1) because I don't have an X-Box and 2) Because I don't have an X-Box.

And 3) Because I'm cool for going against the grain. :aimsun:

Maxico
11-11-2004, 06:09 PM
The balance between the weapons...

The weapons are seriously unbalanced. 3 pistol shots can down a man while it takes an entire clip (60 bullets) with the assalt rifle. Not to mention how usless the plama weapons are and the glitchy sniper rifle.

Although I play it online on the PC so the x-box version may be more stable.

Lord Chainsaw
11-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Just played some Capture the Flag over Xbox live and its helluva fun. My only gripe is that when I'm looking for a specific game, say Capture the Flag, I have to wait quite some time before the automated service finds a game for me.

We got owned, but it was quite a ride. Yous guys got Xbox live and are on Halo 2 look for the salmonlord. Gonna host a Halo fest tomorrow night. Getting some friends over and we're gonna go online and suck up the game in one miserable pack.

Nino Brown
11-12-2004, 05:52 AM
THE BATTLE RIFLE SUCKS.

Erdrick the Hero
11-13-2004, 12:48 AM
I love halo 1. Halo 2 is also up there.

Halo 1 was mind boggling to how much better it was then other fps. It didn't have a ton of weapons so you easily could decide which ones were your favorites. I also was a master at the pistol and disappointed in its disappearance.

Halo 2 took a near perfect game and stayed near perfect. for everything that it improved upon, it took something away. XBox Live capabilities, but you can't bring a guest into a game unless it is the training grounds or a custom game. You have a battle rifle that zooms.... but you don't have a pistol that zooms or an assault rifle.

Single player wise, game was very short, me and my roomate beat it in 7 hrs on normal. We quickly found out that the major upgrade was the vehicles. And was also a little disappointed with the end, but its a fps, so... whatcha gonna do

there is more but i will just let that sink in.. and... ENERGY SWORD RULES!

ChaosCalibur
11-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Halo 2 was a bit dissapointing, the single player didn't have as many fun levels as halo 1 did, the only one i really enjoyed was new moombasa (phasa?) And the game itself felt very rushed, even though it took 3 years to make, but the multiplayer has really improved, it was fun playing the remake of the blood gulch, and boarding banshees in midair was just as good. Over-all the game is solid, has super fast action, which isn't all that great, where in halo 1 you could have fun fighting the enemy for a couple of minutes, in halo 2 it could all be over in the matter of seconds, then you would be asking yourself "what happened?! Where is everyone?" Still, the multiplayer is just a whole lot better, so that's good enough for me

square_is_the_best
11-14-2004, 12:14 AM
The success of a sequel depends on its predecessor. Because Halo 1 was very good, Halo 2 was successful. If Halo 2 was the only installment, it wouldn't have a sequel. Thanks to Halo 1, Halo 2 is successful. Thanks to Halo 2, there might be a Halo 3. If Halo 3 is worse, it will be the end. If Halo 3 is very good, there MIGHT be another Halo. The "might" is there because Halo 3 probably won't take off like Halo 1 and 2 did.

Hawkeye
11-14-2004, 01:07 AM
i beat the game in one rush, and for something to take 3 years on, i did expect a little more. The single player levels were good, though i wish they were more on the master chief. i kept on wishing, i cant wait until i get to a master chief level... the game overall was very good, BEST muiltiplayer to date, and the graphics *jaw drops*

Fate Fatale
11-14-2004, 01:35 AM
... -_-... Do NOT mention this game to me.... I have Halo obseesed friends..."1 more day, 1 more day, 1 more day, 1 more day, 1 more day, 1 more day, 1 more-" *slap* "SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (my friends and me) I really didn't enjoy the first halo, for the exeption of Wizard and Blood Gulch on Multiplayer. The only think I look forward to on this game is the plasma swords and Blood Gulch remake

CloudSquallandZidane
11-15-2004, 01:17 AM
I gotta say after playing both the single player, and multi, that it feels like an expansion pack to me. Although it is funner than the first one. Stuff has changed just not much, but thats ok because Halo was soo much fun. And the graphics... OMG they are soo much better than the first one i cant beileve it. I also enjoy the covnent sniper rifle.

Erdrick the Hero
11-15-2004, 02:13 PM
If Halo 3 is very good, there MIGHT be another Halo. The "might" is there because Halo 3 probably won't take off like Halo 1 and 2 did.

Like Halo 1, Halo 3 is gonna be the flagship for xbox 2. coming out next thanxgiving from what i heard. But halo 2 was also supposed to come out over a year ago, so... who knows... i am still losing WAY to much sleep over it.

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2004, 08:24 AM
Halo 2 has a completely http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifty single player mode. It makes no effort to solve the problems of Halo 1. On top of the the graphics during cutscenes are horrible. Pop in and the engine seems to constatly mess with the textures like it needs to re-map them for som reason.

This is what people waited 3 years for? As much as I hate EA, they could have made Halo 2 better than it is and only in a year.

Az Lionheart
12-07-2004, 07:15 PM
it is a shame that such a great game has to foolow an even better....dont get me wrong H2 is fin amazing but compared to the original...it is nothing....yes the multiplayer is outstanding but the single player was.......dare i say it.....easy........and the story was a bit dull.......but this is still a great game but not as good as the first.......