PDA

View Full Version : An MMORPG-type battle system?

LunarWeaver
11-08-2004, 03:21 AM
I know that Final Fantasy is trying out some new things and being innovative, but an MMORPG type system? As in, your battle meter fills up and they automatically attack unless you tell them otherwise. As far as I understand, this seems like the 'go make a sandwhich while your characters automatically kill everything' sort of fare. I mean, I'm sure plenty of intervention will be needed, but think when your levels start to tower over those in your immediate area... it will be a lot of watching. Who knows, Square might make it a lot more fun then what I've read, and I certainly don't want to cling to the past and say it should be ATB and no experimentation but... this doesn't really sound all that fun :/

Necronopticous
11-08-2004, 04:27 PM
You have it all wrong, "Attack Automatically" simply means that once engaged to an enemy, if you're close to them and not doing any spells you'll use the Attack command, it's the same as normal except you don't have to push attack every 2 seconds. Since the game happens in real time it has to be like this otherwise you would have two characters sitting there while you made the commands for the other. If you go make a sandwich you'll catch a whold bunch of aggro and sit there doing nothing, when you come back you'll be as good as dead. Automatic Attack command doesn't make the game any less involved, that's a bad idea to have.

DJZen
11-08-2004, 07:09 PM
"This battle system is easy, I'm gonna go make a sandwich"

sounds like something I'd say in FFXI before getting rapidly dispached.

LunarWeaver
11-24-2004, 02:41 AM
For the record, I never said "This battle system is easy, I'll go make a sandwhich." But anyway, I'm completely open to changes, and overall I am excited about XII and what I have read, I just don't find MMORPGs to be the most engrossing experience ever is all. On the other hand, it will be much more realistic and potentially even have a faster pace. As long as I don't have to draw magic and then junction it I'm as happy as can be, so it's all gravy.

Necronopticous
11-24-2004, 02:48 AM
On the other hand, it will be much more realistic and potentially even have a faster pace.
Both of these are true.

Yuzuki130
12-05-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm hoping that the battle system will be similar to Star Ocean: Til The End of Time. It was very fun and strategic!

Slade
12-05-2004, 09:49 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm sandwich.............

Xyphox
12-15-2004, 07:12 AM
one of my friends said that he played it at E3. He says it's a cross between kingdom hearts and the traditional final fantasy battle system. You tell someone to attack, but you can also move around. He said he'd tell one character to attack and then when the enemy attacked one of his characters he'd have them run around so they couldn't catch him.

That's what he said :)