PDA

View Full Version : I wish more people played Vagrant Story

Necronopticous
11-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Is there anyone on this board as obsessed with this game as I am? If so please let me know. I'm currently training an ultimate one-handed sword, a long... long... process.

In my opinion this is the best game that's ever come out of Square aside from the Final Fantasy series. Everything about it was flawless. It was difficult, beautifully translated, amazing story, amazing visuals, amazing characters and an awesome original engine and system.

Anyone? huh huh?

Big D
11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
I adore the game. Brilliant plot, great concepts, superb dialogue. Lots of originality, too.

I can understand why many people don't enjoy the gameplay, but personally I like it. A good blend of turn-based fighting and third-person action. Plenty of weapons to make and choose from, with the added challenge of learning the new Break Arts for each one. Lots of replay value, thanks to the keys and the Rood Inverse.

Ashley Riot's personal journey is just about one of the best since Cloud Strife. The game's another good example of the often-vague boundary between "good" and "evil", as shown by Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, Riot and Sydney. Plenty of references to literature, mythology and Final Fantasy in there as well:)

Chris
11-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Okay here's why I do not like it:

• Dull and extremely repetitive surroundings.
• Poorly made FMVs.
• Fairly poor story line.
• Annoying game play.
• Numskull characters and idiotic enemies.

I'd take Koudelka over this any day.

kikimm
11-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Argh! I've only seen the game to buy, anywhere (not on the internet) once, months ago, for about 30 bucks. I didn't want to "waste" my money, so I bought something else. I kind of regret that now. It looks really..interesting, and I really want to try it out. Gameplay doesn't matter at all to me; the only things I pay attention to are the plot, characters/interaction. So if it isn't too good in the gameplay department, I'll be able to look over that with ease.

:D

Lord Chainsaw
11-11-2004, 01:12 AM

• Poorly made FMVs.
• Annoying game play.

I would have to disagree with three of those points. There really aren't any FMVs in the game aside from the main intro FMV, and that was done viewtifully. Graphics shouldn't be an issue, but if they are to be brought up then I must say Vagrant Story has some of the best graphics on the PSX.

I can't agree that the storyline is poor. It's one of, if not my favorite story in a video game. What sets this story apart from other video game stories is that the structure for it is more novel based. In other words, this is the type of game that would fit perfectly as a book. There's no going on scavenger hunts, fetch quests, or plot characters that are thrown in just for the sake of spicing up the villainous boss roster. The way the cutscenes play out is simply amazing. The dialogue that go with them are amazing. My favorite pieces of dialogue are:

"Ye wear naivete like a crest, brother!"

"Ye are a stain on the escutcheon of our order!"

"Our dark "hounds" know your stench, cultist."

"Your hands are tainted with blood. Truth or no, your sins are
eternal."

They truly add a sense of realism to the environments and give you a feeling of actually being in that medieval city. This is by far the best dialogue I've seen in a video game.

Like Big D said, this game tries the line between good and evil with its characters. I once saw a Shadowknight named Guildenstern in Everquest, and I had an argument with him for quite some time as to whether he should have played as a Paladin instead. You can draw your own interpretations about most of the characters in the game. They are very realistic, with realistic sins and emotions.

I'm going to agree with environments being repetitive, the game's main flaw. I got damn tired of seeing all that yellow. It was a cavern, then another cavern, then a tomb, then a quarry. Perhaps when that duder who made it finishes up FFXII he'll consider a sequel to VS and maybe fix this problem.

Overall I'd say it's a gem of a game. It's a shame it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title. If it did I'm more than sure it would have been much more well received.

Big D
11-11-2004, 06:00 AM
I would have to disagree with three of those points. There really aren't any FMVs in the game aside from the main intro FMV, and that was done viewtifully. Graphics shouldn't be an issue, but if they are to be brought up then I must say Vagrant Story has some of the best graphics on the PSX.

I can't agree that the storyline is poor. It's one of, if not my favorite story in a video game. What sets this story apart from other video game stories is that the structure for it is more novel based. In other words, this is the type of game that would fit perfectly as a book. There's no going on scavenger hunts, fetch quests, or plot characters that are thrown in just for the sake of spicing up the villainous boss roster. The way the cutscenes play out is simply amazing. The dialogue that go with them are amazing. My favorite pieces of dialogue are:

"Ye wear naivete like a crest, brother!"

"Ye are a stain on the escutcheon of our order!"

"Our dark "hounds" know your stench, cultist."

"Your hands are tainted with blood. Truth or no, your sins are
eternal."

They truly add a sense of realism to the environments and give you a feeling of actually being in that medieval city. This is by far the best dialogue I've seen in a video game.

Like Big D said, this game tries the line between good and evil with its characters. I once saw a Shadowknight named Guildenstern in Everquest, and I had an argument with him for quite some time as to whether he should have played as a Paladin instead. You can draw your own interpretations about most of the characters in the game. They are very realistic, with realistic sins and emotions.

I'm going to agree with environments being repetitive, the game's main flaw. I got damn tired of seeing all that yellow. It was a cavern, then another cavern, then a tomb, then a quarry. Perhaps when that duder who made it finishes up FFXII he'll consider a sequel to VS and maybe fix this problem.

Overall I'd say it's a gem of a game.I agree completely with your points, there. Vagrant Story has a unique kind of quality that sets it apart from most video games. The style really does put one in mind of a novel, or high-quality film. The elements of magic, politics, and corruption blend very nicely. The visual presentation is great; the city and undercity, as well as other locations, are in great detail - the statues, ruins and woodwork around Lea Monde have all kinds of crafty features that can only be fully appreciated in the first-person view mode.Numskull characters and idiotic enemies.If you're talking about the characters' intelligence, then I'd disagree. Many showed a clear degree of intelligence, if not wisdom, through their actions and schemes. If you mean their intelligence in battle - the AI - then I disagree again. The enemies, especially humans, make excellent use of teamwork and terrain.

It's a shame it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title. If it did I'm more than sure it would have been much more well received.I dunno, the hardline purists might object to an action-RPG Final Fantasy title, in the same way they get vitriolic over as-yet-unreleased games like Dirge of Cerberus:P
I'm not sure if VS is set in the same world as FFT, but I think that's been suggested. Kishi knows more on this matter. There are definitely enough FF references and tributes.

Necronopticous
11-11-2004, 06:30 PM

• Poorly made FMVs.
• Annoying game play.

I'd take Koudelka over this any day.
Something tells me you didn't play the game all the way through.

Trumpet Thief
11-11-2004, 06:36 PM
chaos: I borrowed it from my friend once, but didn't get to play through it too much. Although, what I saw, was a complex story lightly unfolding. I didn't get to hear too much from the characters though, but from what I've heard, and a little of what I've seen, it's brilliant.

Rubedo: The graphics, IMO, were very good, and they shouldn't be an issue really, as they never are for FFVI/FFVII, both being fantastic games. I'm hoping to buy the game soon, but never found any real sources. Ah well, I'll get it eventually, hopefully.

chaos: I don't know how, but it slightly reminded me of Legend of Dragoon.

Necronopticous
11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
It's funny when I hear people actually say the graphics were bad in this game.. Maybe I'm crazy but I think that this game was one of the most beautiful games ever released on Playstation, second only to Final Fantasy IX. In my opinion graphics alone don't make a game beautiful, the way the graphics communicate with the controller and screen make a beautiful game. Take Unreal Tounament for example, great graphics, but uglier than my stepfather. PSX games like Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy IX are pixelated to all hell, sure. But I think pixelation can be used so beautifully it can be considered a style. When the characters move and interact so fluidly with their environments it makes it classy that they're composed of big colored squares.

Trumpet Thief
11-11-2004, 06:59 PM
It's funny when I hear people actually say the graphics were bad in this game.. Maybe I'm crazy but I think that this game was one of the most beautiful games ever released on Playstation, second only to Final Fantasy IX. In my opinion graphics alone don't make a game beautiful, the way the graphics communicate with the controller and screen make a beautiful game. Take Unreal Tounament for example, great graphics, but uglier than my stepfather. PSX games like Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy IX are pixelated to all hell, sure. But I think pixelation can be used so beautifully it can be considered a style. When the characters move and interact so fluidly with their environments it makes it classy that they're composed of big colored squares.

chaos: Exactly. Those who enjoy a game for only graphics truly don't know what they're missing then.

DJZen
11-11-2004, 07:59 PM
I feel similarly, graphics don't really make or break a game, it's just icing on the cake. However, it's the other single-issue-voters of gaming that make my brain hurt. To me, a good story takes a game from being fun to being epic. However, if all you want is a good story, you should try reading. Many people accuse the industry's obsession with eye candy with rotting away the core of the gaming experience, gameplay. I feel that plot is starting to do a similar thing. Needless to say, good graphics and good plot do not marr a game, and painful graphics and plot can be detrimental. However, these are secondary issues that will not ruin a well executed game. In fact, many old games by today's standards have bad graphics, sound, plot and characters, but still feel fresh and exciting to play.

Sorry for ranting. I can get carried away sometimes.....

Necronopticous
11-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Well, I was more or less trying to say that I think the game has excellent graphics because I think game physics are an integral part of "good graphics". The Unreal example was supposed to show that, although the game has good lighting and smooth graphical quality, the graphics suck because they're horribly executed. It looks like a bunch of ugly clones gliding around while their legs whiz back and fourth like a ridiculous excuse for running.

Laguna
11-11-2004, 10:59 PM
For its time Vagrant Story was very impressive. Its still incredibly playable. (I do a little bit more to my save every few weeks- still havent finished it! If anyone can PM me tips, thanks!)

Vagrant Story is one of Square's finer efforts outside of Final Fantasy. It easily outranks Parasite Eve in my book. I should really finish it one day.

aeris2001x2
11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
i will always see this as Squares biggest disaster before Spirits within. The glorious storyline (and i mean GLORIOUS) is infinitlely let down by poor gameplay. Its possibly the most boring game i,ve ever played.

I could only play it with max stats cheat, just so i could get to the story bits and avoid walking in samey dungeons and chaining 4 days.

They should have turned the story into an ff game. it would have been one of the best :cool: .

Big D
11-12-2004, 09:15 PM
i will always see this as Squares biggest disaster before Spirits within.VS was a critical and commercial success; TSW nearly bankrupted them.
The glorious storyline (and i mean GLORIOUS) is infinitlely let down by poor gameplay. Its possibly the most boring game i,ve ever played.

I could only play it with max stats cheat, just so i could get to the story bits and avoid walking in samey dungeons and chaining 4 days.It's a tough system to get used to, but it's good once you get the hang of it. People usually criticise games for being too easy these days, rather than too complex...

They should have turned the story into an ff game. it would have been one of the best :cool: .The story is way too brief to make a full-blown FF. The single-character action-RPG format is probably the best way they could've approached this kind of plot and setting.

Shoeberto
11-13-2004, 11:14 PM
I liked most every aspect, but it was tough. Like, too tough for me to bother playing all the way through. Even with a GameShark...that one forest that was the maze. Argh.

DJZen
11-14-2004, 02:26 AM
I thought it was very fun, actually. I had a very similar idea for gameplay before this game came out, and I think Square did it incredibly well.

Anyone remember when games were for playing and not watching? I do.

Lord Chainsaw
11-16-2004, 01:02 AM
Not everyone prefers gameplay to story in their RPGs.

RPGs and video games in general are special ways of telling stories. They are able to do it with interactive elements. Not every game must exist with the majority of its emphasis on gameplay, although it never hurts to have some. If video games are ever to garner the respect of books or movies, then people have to move past this stage of "games are only simple minded entertainment." They can have complex plots, but to do so, they need a fairly fleshed out and intricate storyline. And I'm sorry, but you aren't going to find that in the overly "fun" games.

So yes, I do remember when games consisted of no cutscences (which is a much way to say it as I thought it was a bit of an exaggeration) and I am glad those days are over because storytelling has evolved. The market still exists for gamers who desire gameplay over story, and there is nothing wrong with that. But people like me are finally beginning to have the interactive stories we've never had the chance to have before.

DJZen
11-16-2004, 07:17 AM
yes but the integral part of video games, the gamplay, is dissapearing. Without that they're movies. And I like movies, but I like video games too. I play games for a fun gaming experience. When I want a story, I read books. Games are not a method of storytelling. There was no plot behind pong, and if there was, it was clearly went right over my head. The emphasis has shifted from video GAME to VIDEO game.

Oh well, change is inevitable.

Lord Chainsaw
11-16-2004, 06:54 PM
When I want a story, I read books.

And when I want gameplay, I'll go play an action game or a fighting game.

Both are completely different, and you just can't make comparisons between them. I've already said that game stories are different from book stories because they are told interactively.

There is still plenty of market for people like you who want gameplay as their top priority in their videogames. Hell, that's the only thing Nintendo is about. That market will never disappear.

Necronopticous
11-16-2004, 10:50 PM
That's odd... I find Vagrant Story to be extremely fun. And since when did the word "tough" become synonymous with "boring"? That's just ridiculous. Vagrant Story is incredibly hard, maybe one of the harder games I've ever played without the ability to set the difficulty but in my opinion that only serves to make it better. I don't personally know any person who hasn't given up in Vagrant Story and I've lent my copy to maybe 10-12 friends. They all give up saying "Ugh, no matter what I do I end up too weak half way through the game!" And it's basically true. The game requires serious skill, forming out a game-long plan with weapons and strategies and being able to stick to it and overcome incredibly tough bosses.

I was able to beat Final Fantasy VI without gaining one single level beside what was forced on me. I was able to get to the last area in Final Fantasy X without using one sphere level or ever changing my weapons. In Vagrant Story, beating the game with everything that you're given is an accomplishment; a challenge in itself. It makes it all that much more rewarding when you actually do beat it.

I don't know what else to say, if you hate the game because it's "too hard" well then I don't even see the purpose of playing a video game.

pooter7799
11-17-2004, 03:11 AM
i have heard about this game and i am very interested in it, i'll take plot and character developement over action any day

video games CAN be a form of story telling, i thought that we all learned that from the ff games who do a wonderfull job of both gameplay and story telling

EDIT: Please don't double post. -Murder

kikimm
11-19-2004, 02:09 AM
All right. I now have the game (score) so I'll start playing this now. It looks so good, but I have high expectations...I hope it doesn't fall short. I too, enjoy the story, more than the gameplay in a game. That's the only reason I play vide games, is to get a good story out of it, feel emotions that I don't usually do, be wowed...maybe I'm taking it too seriously, but eh. Now time to get my game on.

Necronopticous
11-19-2004, 02:12 AM
All right. I now have the game (score) so I'll start playing this now. It looks so good, but I have high expectations...I hope it doesn't fall short. I too, enjoy the story, more than the gameplay in a game. That's the only reason I play vide games, is to get a good story out of it, feel emotions that I don't usually do, be wowed...maybe I'm taking it too seriously, but eh. Now time to get my game on.

Kikimm + Vagrant Story = Ownage.