PDA

View Full Version : "Mommy, that phone ate a gameboy!"

Lindy
11-10-2004, 08:01 PM
We all know the N-Gage is terrible, as is the N-Gage QD, but do you own it? And are there any other terrible handheld or generally failed consoles that you own or have played for even the briefest moments of time?

Psychotic
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I once played on a Nintendo GameCube.

Lindy
11-10-2004, 08:07 PM
And you're a philistine, don't forget that one.

Psychotic
11-10-2004, 08:09 PM
But it is a failure. When it came out, I remember all the Nintendo fans saying it would dwarf the PS2's sales and I think Nintendo themselves even said they hoped it would beat the PS2, when five times as many PS2's have been sold. If that's not failure, what is?

Lindy
11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Nintendo themselves even said they hoped it would beat the PS2
The operative word, it's sales relative to the PS2 make it a relative failure, but considering the money made, in absolute terms it's a success. If it was a failure, why would companies and Nintendo keep releasing new games for it? Games that just keep getting bought.

Doomgaze
11-10-2004, 08:58 PM
NiGHTS on the Saturn. And I played a little Virtual Boy. I don't think I ever bought a failure of a system, though, unless the N64 counts.

Erdrick Holmes
11-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I own a Dreamcast, reguardless how much it failed I still love it.

Big D
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I own a Sega Mega-CD, aka Sega CD.
Some good games on that console. The CD version of Ecco the Dolphin still rates as one of my all-time favourite games.
The system also had the best 16-bit FMV; some games were entirely FMV, some even used live-action.

Ryth
11-10-2004, 09:34 PM
N-Gage QD sucks I couldn't turn it on and my friend accidently called someone on it. I have no failure systems though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Sega CD (Sewer Shark, Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Ecco the Dolphin 2: The Tides of Time)
Sega 32X (Chaotix)
Virtual Boy (Mario Clash, Mario's Tennis, Teleroboxer, Virtual Boy Wario Land: Treasure of the Awazon)

The system also had the best 16-bit FMV; some games were entirely FMV, some even used live-action.And they all sucked.

m4tt
11-10-2004, 10:52 PM
I played a virtual boy once, mario tennis. Too much red!

Shoeberto
11-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Virtual Boy, yeah. My cousin had one.

Erdrick Holmes
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Virtual Boys gave me a headache, but I did like playing that Mario Brothers game.

Xander
11-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Omg, how N-Gage sucks... ;__;

But no..I only play the best consoles! ^__^

Mo-Nercy
11-11-2004, 12:07 PM
I remember playing a Sega Game Gear. I don't recall that being a short-lived failure though.

Rostum
11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
The original gameboy sucked really bad.

Baloki
11-11-2004, 02:02 PM
If it was a failure, why would companies and Nintendo keep releasing new games for it? Games that just keep getting bought.

I'd ask Sega they'd know they had that happen a good 2/3 times, Nintendo might be a good one to ask too, oh wait you think the Gamecube is a sucess *giggles*

Erdrick Holmes
11-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I'd probablyn ot get a GCN. Not enough fighting games to appease my appitite.

I also bought a Genesis for about 4 dollars at a garage sale. It came with Street Fighter II: Championship Edition. :love:

Doomgaze
11-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Regardless of your apparent hope to the contrary, the GCN is quite profitable. It costs far less than a PS2 or XBox to produce, after all. (Especially in the case of the XBox. Those cost MS what, like $400? More?)

escobert
11-11-2004, 08:43 PM
I own a Sega Mega-CD, aka Sega CD.
Some good games on that console. The CD version of Ecco the Dolphin still rates as one of my all-time favourite games.
The system also had the best 16-bit FMV; some games were entirely FMV, some even used live-action.
xD I used to have a sega CD.

Peegee
11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Who has even played the panasonic 3DO (0?) ... crap so many stupid consoles....

all hand-helds suck except game boy

Hinky the Pickle
11-11-2004, 11:24 PM
I got a 32X, although I actually got it a year after it flopped. I really enjoyed Knuckles' Chaotix though and it's still one of my favourite games to this date. The only other two games I had for that system were Virtua Fighter (which got old REALLY fast) and Metal Head (sucked).

Erdrick Holmes
11-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Regardless of your apparent hope to the contrary, the GCN is quite profitable. It costs far less than a PS2 or XBox to produce, after all. (Especially in the case of the XBox. Those cost MS what, like $400? More?)

Actually the price for an XBox on it's release was about 300 dollars, now it's about 150. I got mine for 100. :D

RSL
11-11-2004, 11:44 PM

Actually the price for an XBox on it's release was about 300 dollars, now it's about 150. I got mine for 100. :D

That's what it costs you to buy one, not for them to make one. I once heard that they take a hit on every one they sell and hope to make it back on software sales. Don't know if that's true or not.

I played a virtual boy that was on display at a store. Until then I really really wanted one (stupid Nintendo Power saying it was great.) Luckily, I saw that was not the case when I played it for 5 minutes.

Other than that, I can't say that I've played a failed console. I certainly do not consider the Gamecube to be a failure. While it is not in the league of the PS2, what really is? There are plenty of awesome gamecube exclusive games that I like that warr
anted the purchase.

Chzn8r
11-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Yes, MS eats it on every Xbox. But with sales of games like Halo 2, they make it all back in spades.

ANYWAYS, I don't see the point in trying to call any non-Virtual Boy Nintendo system a failure, as clearly none of them have been a monetary failure, or even close.

Failure systems I've played? Well, both Sega CD and Sega Saturn, though those had some pretty good games...

Doc Sark
11-29-2004, 10:57 PM
The Amiga 32 and the Atari Jaguar were pretty terrible.

I broke my Sony Ericcson on the changing room floor at the gym so my girlfriend lent me her N-Gage which she used for her second line, until I got a new one. It was ok except that it was big, fell over in my pocket all the time, and when you had to talk on it, becasue the mic was end on, I felt like Zack Morris from saved by the bell. I did however finish Virtua Tennis on it with relative ease before I banished it back to my gf's for the rest of its sorry existence. I am now the proud owner of a Siemens SX1. Not that I'm a gadget freak or anything.

Dking'squeen
11-29-2004, 11:02 PM
I still own my Sega Genisis, so no one can say that it sucks. (Everyone boos) Okay, I saw a little boy playing the N-Gage as if it were the fianl game on this very earth. I hated the graphics and when I asked to play, (It was a long bus ride) and I did, I couldn't figure why homeboy was playing this game as if it were so great and magnificent! I nearly chucked it out of the doors when they opened, but I didn;t want to start a fight on the bus