PDA

View Full Version : ipod owners of the world unite!

Female Ryuichi
11-11-2004, 11:29 AM
And laugh at those with CD players :greenie:

The point is, mp3 player or not?

I got my ipod this morning after my last one (not an ipod) broke twice in a row :mad: .

White Raven
11-11-2004, 02:10 PM
I have better things to spend $250.00 (Cnd) on.

(PS: I'll probably be getting one in the summer :p )

Rainecloud
11-11-2004, 02:28 PM
I've been thinking of getting one for a while now, what with nearly 3 gig of legal music on my PC. It just seems like a heck of a lot of money to spend on a small white object with tacky earphones.

Ah well. I suppose I'll give in to the majority, eventually.

m4tt
11-11-2004, 02:42 PM
I don't even use the cd players that I have. Why would I want an ipod?

theundeadhero
11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
What is this ipod stuff? Darn newfangled technology. I still listen to records.

Miriel
11-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Ipod 4th Generation - 20gig :love:

DMKA
11-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I want one, but CD burning is fine for me until the price drops...I'm not willing to spend $200+ dollars when I already have my music on CD anyway.

Plus I actually buy CDs every now and then. Yeash...remember that? Buying CDs? I know thats kinda old skool but I still do it from time to time.

Dr Unne
11-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I still use my old Creative Nomad Muvo 64MB MP3 player / keychain. I only own it because it was free.

Skogs
11-11-2004, 06:59 PM
I heard that: iRiver i40 > iPod

Miriel
11-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Plus I actually buy CDs every now and then. Yeash...remember that? Buying CDs? I know thats kinda old skool but I still do it from time to time.

I still buy CDs too...I like having the inserts. :p But my car doesn't have a CD player and I spend a lot of time in my car and I hate listening to the radio, it drives me insane. So in a sense I HAD to get an Ipod, for my own sanity, see? Or at least that's how I rationalized it to myself. :riiight:

Plus, I like having a soundtrack for my life. My Ipod is almost always going, even at home when I don't want to bother other people with my music. I put my baby to good use. :)

DMKA
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
I still buy CDs too...I like having the inserts. :p But my car doesn't have a CD player and I spend a lot of time in my car and I hate listening to the radio, it drives me insane. So in a sense I HAD to get an Ipod, for my own sanity, see? Or at least that's how I rationalized it to myself. :riiight:

Plus, I like having a soundtrack for my life. My Ipod is almost always going, even at home when I don't want to bother other people with my music. I put my baby to good use. :)
= Me if I had an iPod.

I'm not saying they suck or cds are better or anything, I just don't see a point in spending so much money on something I already have subtitues for. I do plan on getting one eventually though.

Yamaneko
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
If the new iPods still have those awful internal battery packs then they still suck.

If I had the money I'd get the new Sony mp3 player.

escobert
11-11-2004, 09:32 PM
I want one, but CD burning is fine for me until the price drops...I'm not willing to spend $200+ dollars when I already have my music on CD anyway.

I still buy cds. If I like a bands or whatever enough I'll buy the cd but, if I only like one song why buy the CD?

DMKA
11-12-2004, 12:08 AM
I still buy cds. If I like a bands or whatever enough I'll buy the cd but, if I only like one song why buy the CD?
Exactly. Thats the only time I buy cds too...then the rest of the time piracy = :<3:.

Dingo Jellybean
11-12-2004, 12:25 AM
I seriously want an iPod. There's this 40GB iPod...which is just insane. It's $400, but 40GB...who wants that many songs...or who has the time to listen to all of them?

That's why I want a 4GB mini iPod. The green one, that you can personalize for free with engraving, is on the iPod website for $250. It's just the same cost as the 15GB iPod...but it's like, no bigger than a credit card. I'm also tired of burning CDs anyways. When I get an iPod, I'm going to just stuff it to the max.

-N-
11-12-2004, 03:37 AM
iPods are sick. Minis are a rip, though.

Citizen Bleys
11-12-2004, 03:45 AM
MuVo TX or RCA Lyra MP3 players are more worth it to me than any of those overpriced iPod pieces of crap. I mean, honestly, who needs 40 GIGS of music on the player at once? I've got 256 MB, and when I get bored of the songs on it, I erase them and put new ones on. Most of the time, I don't even use more than 128 MB.

iPods may be top of the line, but they're not worth the price tag.

Plus, I'd rather nail my genitals to a burning wall than own an Apple product.

Dingo Jellybean
11-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Plus, I'd rather nail my genitals to a burning wall than own an Apple product.

I'd pay to see that.

Citizen Bleys
11-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Tough, I will never own an Apple product.

-N-
11-12-2004, 09:36 AM
You mean he still hasn't noticed that?

Dingo Jellybean
12-14-2004, 05:10 AM
Okay, I can finally unite with you guys.

That's my iPod, Martian-glow-in-the-dark-green. 15GB 3G model. I even dedicated a webpage to it: www.geocities.com/dingojellybean2/ipod.html

That has all my play list, though it's only 140 songs long. I plan to add a lot more in the future.

MistaCloudStrife
12-14-2004, 08:10 AM
iPODs are the past... PSPs are da furure.... Really they are... they arent even out yet.. ^_~

Rinoabella
12-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Tough, I will never own an Apple product.
I bet you will one day! :D

I got a 40GB 4th Generation ipod+hp.

I love the advertisement http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/sterio_rock cos it features a NZ band!

Shlup
12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
I went to the big fancy Apple store today and actually played with iPods for the first time. I didn't know that was how you changed the volume! I almost squeed.

Dingo Jellybean
12-14-2004, 06:18 PM
I went to the big fancy Apple store today and actually played with iPods for the first time. I didn't know that was how you changed the volume! I almost squeed.

Believe it or not, it's actually smoother on the 3G iPod than the 4G iPod you used. I could scroll through thousands of songs individually with that click wheel in about 6 seconds. Its like it senses how fast you want to scroll and does it...amazing.

I bet you will one day! :D

I got a 40GB 4th Generation ipod+hp.

I love the advertisement http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/sterio_rock cos it features a NZ band!

Damn. 40GBs?!! I have trouble trying to fill up 1GB. You better be careful where you bring that thing because those 40GB iPods are not cheap. They're $400 US. 10 years from now we'll probably all look like fools for spending so much when there's 1TB MP3 players on the market that has 60 hour battery life for the same relative price.

Female Ryuichi
12-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Damn. 40GBs?!!

I only have it because they're always out of stock of 20GB at amazon
:tongue:

Lindy
12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Creative > Apple in terms of music.

My Creative Nomad Zen NX 30gb has far superior sound quality to any iPod, longer battery life, and I mean MUCH longer. Oh, and it's a lot cheaper, heck the one I've got is about a year old now, they have brand new ones out and they're STILL cheap. Mine broke a total of once, and I just sent it back under the year warranty, and they sent me back a whole new one, box and everything with a brand new reinstated year warranty.

iPod battery life drops to about 20 minutes after a year, and to replace it, you have to send it back to apple along with your bank details so they can just drain your whole account to pay for the stupidly expensive battery.

My Nomad on the other hand, I flip open the front of the case, take out the battery and replace it with a new one that costs about £10.

WINNAH.

I have 11gigs of music, expanding at an ever increasing rate now I can download music, so I can fill my player easy enough.

That and it functions as a poor man's External HD, so I can copy any kind of files I want onto it, unlike the iPod which is just for music, pictures and text files.

Also, I heard that Apple push old ladies down the stairs while cackling over their new iPod money making schemes.

Little Miss Awesome
12-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Lucky people! I want one but they're sold out evrywhere otherwise I would have been getting one for Christmas!

Erdrick Holmes
12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
I really don't want an IPod, they're too damn expensive. Don't you need a subscription to iTunes to get music onto it?

m4tt
12-14-2004, 06:53 PM
I don't even use the cd players that I have. Why would I want an ipod?

Funny that I said that, and now I'm getting one for christmas. Guess it will be better to use at work than windows media player.

Dingo Jellybean
12-14-2004, 07:01 PM
I really don't want an IPod, they're too damn expensive. Don't you need a subscription to iTunes to get music onto it?

No subscription, you just download it and you buy any songs or albums that you want. New albums typically cost $10, which is good considering most stores charge $15 plus tax. iTunes lets you burn your music onto a CD, obviously I never needed this feature, but still.

Triple T
12-14-2004, 09:55 PM
I have a CD Player. I'm so in the past that it makes me sad. :cry:

theundeadhero
12-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Vinyl baby! Vinyl...

Rinoabella
12-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Damn. 40GBs?!! I have trouble trying to fill up 1GB. You better be careful where you bring that thing because those 40GB iPods are not cheap. They're $400 US. 10 years from now we'll probably all look like fools for spending so much when there's 1TB MP3 players on the market that has 60 hour battery life for the same relative price.
I originally bought it as a portable hard drive that I could use for my graphics files for Uni. So the space is good for more than one thing :)

Dingo Jellybean
12-19-2004, 03:34 AM
I'm pondering to buy an FM Transmitter for my iPod so I can play it in the car. It be so nice if I could just pump up the volume of my iPod when I'm diriving, roll the windows down in 20F weather and just rock out. It's a bit expensive though, and my car doesn't have an Audio-in jack...and I'm not shelling out $1000 for a new system.

See, I wouldn't mind too much getting another branded MP3 player like iRiver's H10 or Virgin's Electronic Player, but the accessories aren't very crowded for those things. My iSkin is what makes my iPod standout. I love just carrying that MP3 player around. It's so neat. I treat my iPod as a newborn baby, and give it all the attention in the world. The touch-sensitive click wheel is just so smooth, scrolling through songs on Rio's is painfully tedious since it only displays 4 songs at once. And Virgin's player is too sensitive since you can make it do an action rather than scroll through songs. The scroll wheel is just perfect...or maybe I've just adapted to the scroll wheel.

But I have mini speakers hooked up to my iPod in my room and just bang out or relax to the music with the door closed. It's so great. I have playlists that I use depending on which mood I'm in. I love this thing. *hugs it*

Yamaneko
12-19-2004, 03:41 AM
The iRivers look awesome, but since I don't have that kind of money, I'm looking at getting the 20GB Rio Karma. OGG and FLAC support. Superior sound quality compared to the iPod. I have heard that Karmas have problems with their HDD sometimes. And as of now you still can't use them as storage devices (not FAT 16/32 formatted), but hopefully with future firmware upgrades you will.

Unless the 20GB iPod drops to $250, I'm not getting it.

krissy
12-19-2004, 03:53 AM
i have a walkman
60 minutes of pure ripped bliss

Dingo Jellybean
12-19-2004, 04:00 AM
The iRivers look awesome, but since I don't have that kind of money, I'm looking at getting the 20GB Rio Karma. OGG and FLAC support. Superior sound quality compared to the iPod. I have heard that Karmas have problems with their HDD sometimes. And as of now you still can't use them as storage devices (not FAT 16/32 formatted), but hopefully with future firmware upgrades you will.

Unless the 20GB iPod drops to $250, I'm not getting it.

You can get a 15GB iPod for around $220 on eBay. But really though, most people who have iPods or MP3 devices never use them as mass storage devices since they have plenty of space on the computer. My 15GB iPod almost has as much space on my current CPU now.

There's plenty of devices out-there that has much better features than the iPods. The problem for them is that they aren't mainstream. The way iPod advertises, it has everyone hooked. That's why I think Rhapsody and Napster should just get licenses from Apple, before Apple completely buries them. I always support competition, but it's like when Sega got licenses from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft to design games. That's what Rhapsody, Rio, and all these other iPod/iTunes competitors should do. Is it better to reach for possible millions or have a guaranteed million or two? Depends on the companies. They never want to be bought out, but there's a decent number of iPod haters that they'll support these non Apple products.

The great thing about the iPod is that I can rewrite my notes in text format and upload them onto the iPod and view them over in class.

Kalen
12-19-2004, 05:13 AM
Yesh ah luv it

4g 20g

Samuraid
12-19-2004, 05:22 AM
iPods are not worth it. They far too expensive for what you get and they do not play OGG nor do they play WMA.

Yamaneko
12-19-2004, 05:27 AM
OGGs :up:

WMA :down:

I've never once downloaded a WMA.

Dingo Jellybean
12-19-2004, 05:35 AM
iPods are not worth it. They far too expensive for what you get and they do not play OGG nor do they play WMA.

iTunes(which is a free download) converts unprotected WMA files to MP3 files or AAC files to be played on an iPod.

If you want something cheaper, you can get early models on eBay for hundreds less. I saw a 1G 5GB iPod that went for $80 brand new.

But personally though, I just love accessorizing the thing. I'm thinking of getting an iShade to go with my iSkin, but no way I'm shelling out $22 for a cheap plastic cover that weighs .1 oz and is a little under 2" long diagonally.

Samuraid
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
OGGs :up:

WMA :down:

I've never once downloaded a WMA.

Ah, not true. Ogg is very similar to WMA. Try a google search. There are a number of comparisons.

I did an audio comparison test on a $4500 pair of Genelec THX pm3 (http://www.genelec.com/products/1032a/1032a.php) certified studio monitors at the studio where I work. Ogg and WMA sounded nearly the same.

Yamaneko
12-20-2004, 08:11 PM
I just don't like Microsoft.

Those are some nice studio monitors. Much nicer than the ones I have. Plus I have mine on a SB Audigy-2. :(

Dingo Jellybean
12-21-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, I'm not much on specs, but I can't find any file that matches the original quality of .wav files.

When I rip files from CDs, I simply compress the .wav files using 56kbps compression. I know the standard is 128kbps, but it gives me 3-4 times the space with very little sound quality degration. At least using the earbuds on the iPod. I'm willing to sacrifice a little sound quality to have a much larger library, so now instead of the 3700 songs the iPod can hold...that number can jump to over 15000.

Samuraid
12-22-2004, 12:01 AM
I just don't like Microsoft.

Those are some nice studio monitors. Much nicer than the ones I have. Plus I have mine on a SB Audigy-2. :(

Ah, I see. Well then, it's a good thing Ogg is around. :D As for the studio monitors...they are amazing. I wish I had enough money to buy a pair for my room. Audigy 2 cards are about the best you can go for personal computer soundcards (without going pro or prosumer). I have one too and I :love: it.

Well, I'm not much on specs, but I can't find any file that matches the original quality of .wav files.

You ought to check out the lossless formats. (WMA lossless, Apple lossless, FLAC) Lossless compression matches wav files perfectly at 100% original quality and gives you approximately 2:1 space savings.

Dingo Jellybean
12-22-2004, 12:15 AM
You ought to check out the lossless formats. (WMA lossless, Apple lossless, FLAC) Lossless compression matches wav files perfectly at 100% original quality and gives you approximately 2:1 space savings.

Yeah, iTunes has that. I just noticed it as I bought a new song. It's nice, but Bonnie McKee's Trouble is still 22MBs. Which is like...man. That's too much space...at least for me anyways. My MP3 of that song in 56kbps compression is about 1100KBs. It still sounds fine, but hook it up to a giant stereo system...the sound doesn't sound nearly as good.

I do want that Bose player that allows for the iPod to dock. That thing is like, 1/3 the size of a computer monitor and the sound is just...amazing.

Dingo Jellybean
12-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Before I you go on, view this:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2/

Below is just a parody of the U2 iPod created by me. Don't use without my permission, but feedback is nice, negative or positive.

http://www.geocities.com/dingojellybean2/bushpod.html

EDIT: Not sure where to put this, either in World Events, or the Arts forum, or this...bleh...move it where you think it belongs.

Yamaneko
12-22-2004, 08:16 AM
*merged*

No more iPod threads! :crying2:

Dingo Jellybean
12-22-2004, 08:21 AM
*merged*

No more iPod threads! :crying2:

Read it! I just need some honest feedback. I hope my humor isn't too dry.

Rinoabella
12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
http://www.geocities.com/dingojellybean2/bushpod.html
:smash:

Dingo Jellybean
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
:smash:

It'll be hard for some international folks to fully get some of the jokes, but I think I did a pretty good job with it. Even though I use Win98 and PSP7. But what did you think?

Rinoabella
12-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Very creative, clever and humorous ;)

Dingo Jellybean
12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Very creative, clever and humorous ;)

Yay, I got some good feedback from the iPod community too. I should do a John Kerry one.

crazymcjoe
12-22-2004, 12:23 PM
I loooove my Ipod...and I also love to buy cd's so yeh! Meh! Moo!...umm...