PDA

View Full Version : Esuna?

organics peach
11-12-2004, 08:55 AM
I know that Esuna has been the been the white magic spell for curing status ailiments, but what does it mean? Is it a latin word or something? I looked it up on dictionary.com and it didn't have a definition.

Flashback007
11-12-2004, 09:02 AM
If I am correct, I readt it somewhere Esuna is a Japanese word. That was stuck in translations. I almost never use Esuna, cause I just only hate the word. In FFVI they say Remedy or Antdot, that is for me much clearer what it does. When I first saw Esuna I didn't knew what it did. I casted it on me and it didn't do nothing, so I didn't touch it for the rest of the game.

One winged angel of death
11-12-2004, 02:25 PM
esuna i think means healing of alements (pains).

NashX
11-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Seeing as FF is wholly and truly Japanese, SephNL is probably right about esuna being a Japanese word. It sounds Japanese, doesn't it?

organics peach
11-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, It does make sense that esuna is a Japanese word, I like the word too becuase it's unique to the Final Fantasy games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-12-2004, 06:19 PM
From what I can tell, "Esuna" isn't a Japanese word at all.

If I had to hypothesize on what it means, the obvious part is that the suffix "na" can mean to undo something; for example, in FFI, the spell Blina is short for "Blind-na," basically meaning "Antiblind." Similarly, Poisona means "Antipoison," and Stona is "Antistone."

The only real question, then, is where the "esu" comes from. Now, this is pure conjecture, but it could indicate the pronounciation of the Roman letter "S," making it "S-na." "S," then, could stand for "status," which would mean "Esuna" means "Antistatus."

Giga Guess
12-04-2004, 04:09 AM
That makes sense, oh great Square-bot.

Roogle
12-05-2004, 12:34 AM
Esuna is pronounced "Es-na", so Kawaii Ryűkishi is probably right. It's either that or you take "esu" in Japanese, which means "sister", and think of it as Antisister.

DJZen
12-06-2004, 05:34 AM
Esuna is pronounced "Es-na", so Kawaii Ryűkishi is probably right. It's either that or you take "esu" in Japanese, which means "sister", and think of it as Antisister.

Sister is the most feared status in any FF game. All characters afflicted with sister get no privacy, and have to put up with pink things lying around. Also, characters afflicted with sister have roughly a 1 in 10 chance of being blamed for something they didn't do.

Old Manus
12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Sister is the most feared status in any FF game. All characters afflicted with sister get no privacy, and have to put up with pink things lying around. Also, characters afflicted with sister have roughly a 1 in 10 chance of being blamed for something they didn't do.

The item that heals it is "phone line cut".

DJZen
12-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Yes, or you can get Brett Bretterson.