PDA

View Full Version : Mezzo

Spritz
11-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Comming from England it's generally quite hard for me to get anime.

- I can either download it, which is slow, illegal, bad quality and I have a limited choice on what I can choose to watch.

- Buy DVDs based on reveiws and never having a first hand experiance of the anime. Problems include online shops missing DVDs so I can't watch all the episodes or me paying for something I really don't like.

I normally choose the second option and get lucky (Orphen, Martian Succesor Nadeico, The Legend of Black Heavan, Trigun, Samurai X OVA, Spirited away, Princess Mononoke, S-Cry-D (still incomplete ;;) and Mezzo (Only the first DVD is released)) but my luck has been challenged, Ninja Resurection = Bad :mad: , and It's bound to be again.

So the topic is, Anyone have any reccomendations on any anime? Tips for buying Anime for an English buyer? Any real anime stinkers no-one should own?

aeris2001x2
11-12-2004, 08:11 PM
well i too am UK and suffer from a similar problem. i mostly only have UK released Anime. i hate importing and net anime. i,d say i have about 65 anime dvds. (how did u get Trigun? thats not released in UK yet? :( )

Here are my opinions...

Highly Recommended

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex vol 1
Perfect Blue
Patlabour 1+2
Orguss 02
Blackjack
Blood-the last vampire
X the movie
Read or Die
Ninja Scroll(movie)
Animatrix
Cowboy Bebop movie (knockin on heavens door)
Neon genesis Evangelion vol 1-8 + 2 special edition dvds of eps21-26 + Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion
Vision of Escaflowne vol 1-8 (though box sets are starting 2 be released)
Gasaraki vol 1-8
Gunbuster (though the Dvd was shoddily done, so id recommend the videos)
Urotsukidoji 1+2 (its technically hentai but if u can look through the sex its actually a fantastic anime. but bewarned, its shocking, even thought its extremely cut)
Macross plus- the movie
Martian Successor Nadesico vol 1-6 + movie
Metropolis
Samarui X reflection (you got trust and betrayal right? did u get reflection?)
Vampire hunter D (Both movies)
Voices of a distant star

try and find Wings of the honnamise on video too...thats stunning.

*- note, i,ve tried to only include the top class Anime i own (i,m poor, thats why there are not many)

Anime i have not seen, but are highly recommend by others are...

Boogiepop Phantom
Fruits basket
Full metal panic
Generator Gawl
Grave of the fireflies
Hack//Sign
Hellsing
Kiddy Grade
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's delivery service
Love Hina
Noir
Rahxephon
Serial Experiments Lain
Vampire princess miyu

Now, these Anime i would describe as POOR to Dire. i shall include only the ones avaliable on Dvd i,ve seen. Please do not waste your money on these...

Adventure duo
Appleseed(get the Manga instead ;) )
Beyblade
Bubble gum crisic tokoyo 2040 (get the original instead)
Dirty Pair flash
Kaidohmaru
New gall force (in my opinion, the worst Anime ever released)
Rayearth (not the classic one, the ova avalable here, its horrid)
Riding Beam
Samarui X (Kenshin) the movie (nothing like the Ovas or reflection...very bad)
Shadow Skill
Sword for truth (while it has a certain sentiment 4 me and i enjoy it, rationally, it sucks)
Tokoyo Revelation
Vampire Wars
Violence Jack

of course this a quite small list, there is much out there.

And i can not advise you. You will have your own different tastes. This is just my opinion. So do not take it as scripture. Just use it to help u decide.

Trumpet Thief
11-12-2004, 08:14 PM
chaos: Everyone always forgets Gundam... :shame:

Rubedo: Almost all of the series is great. I recommend...

Gundam Wing
Gundam SEED
Gundam SEED Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam
Gundam 08th MS Team
Vision of Escaflowne
Neon Genesis Evangalion
Inuyasha (I don't like it too much though)

aeris2001x2
11-12-2004, 08:21 PM
i did not include Gundam because i,ve only seen the first half of Wing(and thought it was ok).

And the rest are not avaliable in the UK. i stuck to UK only Anime.

P.s- how are u doin Seiken anyway?

Trumpet Thief
11-12-2004, 08:23 PM
chaos: I'm doing well, if that's the way you asked the question :D

Rubedo: I've had an obsession with Gundam ever since I firsted watch Wing when I was around nine years old.

aeris2001x2
11-12-2004, 08:37 PM
How old are u now by the way?

I just could never get into Gundam Wing i do not know why. but one day i will try and watch the second half and see what i missed.

Which is your fav Gundam seris?

P.S- Now i,m back again, i shall read some more of your fan fic ;) . How far have u got with it?

Spritz
11-13-2004, 11:01 AM
how did u get Trigun? thats not released in UK yet?

www.playusa.com - you can use a play.com account on it so english debit cards work fine there :3 I get most of my anime from here but alot of the stuff i find in reveiws ect... isn't in here ;-; but they have quite alot of Region 1 (American) DVDs, I got my multiregion DVD player fom play.com so it's all good ^^;

I should take a look at the Gundam series, although I'm afraid that if i like it i'll have to buy the whole, long, expensive sereis xD