PDA

View Full Version : Space based trading game?

DeBlayde
11-13-2004, 07:52 AM
when I was a kid, my uncle gave us this old computer of his that looked like it hailed from the time before electricity was a common feature in households.

There was this game on it called "Elite" which required you to go from place to place trading in various different things while battling off pirates at the same time. You could customize your vessel pretty well, and there was even a little fictional storybook that came with it. The controls were weird since you could only climb/dive and rotate your ship along its long axis. so if you wanted to turn left, you had to rotate your ship and pull up. kind of a pain to not be able to yaw.

anyways, it was still a pretty fun game. Can anybody think of another game like it? one in which you can explore a fairly diverse universe and trade and fight and upgrade your ship and junk like that?

Spritz
11-13-2004, 11:11 AM
The only thing I can think of thats anything liek that is Eve Online, http://www.eve-online.com

MMORPG, can buy items low from place X, travel to place Y and sell. Fight/avoid pirates on the way ect... Might be what your looking for! x.x

theundeadhero
11-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Wing Commander: Privateer. It's an amazing game that I haven't played in years:(

FlanEater
11-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Ah! I know a good one. Escape Velocity Nova by Ambrosia Software. You can download the PC or Mac full(shareware) version at their site. The download is about 70 MB, but believe me, it's well worth it if you like Elite. Apart from that, only other one I can think of is a game called X: Beyond the Frontier. Pretty good game too, but you'd be hard pressed to find a copy of it these days.

Lindy
11-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Freelancer or X2.

It's a common genre, despite what some people may think.

DeBlayde
11-15-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm considering X2, whatever the subtitle was. DeBlayde <--forgot.

looks like fun, though apparantly somewhat slow...

Maxico
11-15-2004, 05:31 PM
X2 rise of the cake (or khaak... I forget) Is actualy pretty good. Its kinda slow but thats inherent to the genre. You will be pretty poor for a long time... infact I never got rich... I'm a quitter.