PDA

View Full Version : Leveling up People

Hawkeye
11-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Yes, i am one of those people who love to level up my guys in the game at hours at a time. Right after i left Midgar in the begining of the game, my guys were at lvl 25. After they were done at Kalm inn (were cloud was telling them the story) they were at lvl 30. I LOVE leveling up, cause it ensures you that you will win :)

FightClubFan#47
11-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Too much work...

Too repetitve

Boony boy
11-14-2004, 10:46 PM
theres no point jus play the game its more of a challenge and u dont kno if ur gunna live adds more excitment to the game

nik0tine
11-14-2004, 11:36 PM
It's pretty boring if u get to inasanely high levels early on. Losing does suck, but at least it adds some sort of challenge.

Captain Maxx Power
11-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Now now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with excessive level grinding. It's the mainstay of many old-school FFs, so why not FF7? I remember spending four hours (count 'em, four) killing ogres outside Elfland just for those Iron armours, spells and houses.. And dyou know what? I appreciated the hell outta them! Let the man level I say!

saint35
11-15-2004, 02:18 AM
dude u don't need to really train that much to beat ff7 just get a ton of materia

One winged angel of death
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
i agree with saint35...you only need to level up your materia and probably your life...equipt hp plus materia and level it up. and try to master most of your materia not all of it. you can if fact if you try really hard...beat sephiroth at lvl.65 and lvl.73 but if you really want to level up go to the sunken plane or go to the marshy area of the north crater.

TheSpoonyBard
11-15-2004, 09:08 PM
And how do you suggest you level up materia without getting any EXP? Levelling up materia will result in an increased character level regardless of your intention.

DMKA
11-15-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't see the fun in eliminating the game's challenge before you get a chance to experience it.

Lady_luck_lulu
11-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Levelling up is fun, it doesn't really take away the challenge. I like it when I win lots of battles and learn new Limit Break Abilities.

Remnant
11-22-2004, 04:47 AM
I wound up leveling in the Nibel mountains my first time through- out of necessity, as those grass hopper things pretty much took me to school when I first got there. And then I got lost in them, which didn't really help...

Nothing wrong with leveling intentionally though- I too spent time outside of the descriptively-named elf land pummling ogres so that I may partake of goods and services. And later, it was giants. I love the smell of LIT in the morning!

First time through especially, leveling often helps you recover from stupid purchasing mistakes (i.e. I bought a shiney new weapon, turned the corner, and there was a vastly superior one lying on the ground), or compensate for gross negligence about how the game works.

Many veterans have an easy time of it because they have experienced knowledge. The games aren't really designed to challenge such players the way they challenge a green player, except for the addition of optional battles.

And hey, if it really bugs you, give them a copy of FFVIII, and the monsters will level right along with them. ;)

ill-fated-life
11-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Remnant is right...

FFVIII's monsters just level up along with the characters.

It's true that leveling up in FFVII does take away a bit of the challenge, but it really doesn't for the end boss, since it really depends on the party's stats for that.

UltimaLimit
11-23-2004, 01:55 AM
The final boss is incredibly weak if you come at him with L99 people and excellant materia. And as for "just use lots of materia instead", keep in mind that too much materia lowers your HP, defense, attack, to sometimes dangerous levels. (Which is of course why you gain EXP as well as AP.) HP Plus rules!

11-25-2004, 09:02 PM
actually the stronger your characters the harder the boss is. ha! you can notice that you can never seem to get past a boss's lvlno matter how hard you train. don't think of it as takeing away a challenge how about building up a challenge. if ya want a hard fight from seph get your ppl to high lvls. and see how ya do then. But if ya don't agree with my method, leave your ppl weak.

SupersaiyenKuja4
11-25-2004, 10:54 PM
actually the stronger your characters the harder the boss is. ha! you can notice that you can never seem to get past a boss's lvlno matter how hard you train. don't think of it as takeing away a challenge how about building up a challenge. if ya want a hard fight from seph get your ppl to high lvls. and see how ya do then. But if ya don't agree with my method, leave your ppl weak.

this is so true, i dont believe i didn't notice that..
my first play thru ff7, i beat Safer Sephiroth on my first try(it was rough, but i did it.)
on my second try, i couldn't beat him if my life depended on it, even though i was at a MUCH higher level than when i first beat him.

when it comes to leveling up, i have a distinct pattern. The first time i beat a game, i don't use any guides, so if im wandering around aimlessly, lost, i rin into more monsters, so naturally, i am at an O.K. level.
The second time i beat it, i do it to fully enjoy and understand the story, and for a challenge, so i don't level up at all.
The third time i beat a ff game, i level up like crazy, to beat all the optional bosses and such.

11-29-2004, 02:30 PM
yes..yes i know... your better off weaker than stronger, but if ya want a challenge, get enemy lure materia, then go to north crater i went in at lvl.64 got to sephiroth at lvl.81 i forgot the enemy lure was on my person, no wounder why every step i took i got into a battle.

Dark Ekonis
11-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Leveling up is a RPG past time brought on originally from Dragon Warrior and passed on thru the ages. Veteran Players are probably more prone to leveling up out of shere habbit, while others just enjoy the smell of perfection. I concider myself a veteran of oldschool proportions. I usualy level up little on the first run, but the second I am like a mad man just maxing it all.