PDA

View Full Version : What should I get?

SomethingBig
11-14-2004, 09:10 PM
My parents said that they'll buy me a game when my report card comes out, since they know that I do well in school. Question is, what should I get? I hate sports games, I hate hack 'n' slash games, especially those D&D type games, I hate racing games, which can be put in the sports category, and I have a PS2 and a Gamecube. I also love DDR, so if anyone has DDR Extreme, tell me what it's like. Metroid Prime 2's coming out tomorrow, but I'm also uncertain on whether or not I should get that, since I didn't really like the first one. I would say that I love PC FPSs, but my computer would not be able to handle the two biggest FPSs of the decade(STALKER and HL2). Oh, and I also hate GTA games, so that's outta the picture. Same goes for getting an XBox and Halo 2.

Suggestions?

I'm also renting LotR: the 3rd Age.

Phil
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Do you have kingdom hearts? If not I suggest you get it, or get your parents to reserve Chain of Memories for the Game Boy. Its gonna be so cool. If your not interested in those, Wind Waker is fun, as is Counter Strike. Prince of Persia is also so much fun. Its challenging, but fun.

BlkKnight
11-15-2004, 07:58 AM
DDR Extreme is pretty good. Other than the Karaeoke Revolution crossovers, the new songs are good (Silent Hill crossovers, and Maximizer to name a few.) If you don't frequent DDR Ex at the arcade, then it's definately worth a purchase.

Doomgaze
11-15-2004, 08:07 AM
KATAMARI DAMACY

except it's exceedingly cheap so get it with your own money, get a more expensive game with theirs. I dunno, Snake Eater or something.

BatChao
11-15-2004, 11:37 AM
This month is a great month for gamers (kinda...) There's so many games coming out this month that the only problem is not having enough money to buy them and enough time to play there. Here are some of my suggestions:

-Viewtiful Joe 2 (great action game with a lot of style - GCN/PS2)
-Baten Kaitos (An awesome RPG by the developer of Xenosaga - GCN)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 (It's MGS... nuff said! - PS2)
-Gran Turismo 4 (If you're a racing fan, this is the ultimate game - PS2)

I personally like Metroid Prime, so MP2 is pretty high on my to-get list, but it's pretty much the same as the first, so I wouldn't suggest it for you since you didn't like the first one.

Doomgaze
11-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Viewtiful Joe is overrated.

Ryth
11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
VJ is not overated it is a fun old school game anyway,

-X-Men Legends
-MGS3
-Time Crisis 3 (not only is it really fun put since it's your parents money the $60 (if you buy it with the optional Guncon 2) won't be a problem)
-Alien Hominid (if you liked Gunstar Heroes (Genesis) you'll like AH)
-The Bard's Tale
-Jak III
-Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
-Growlanser Generations (think Shining Force and Grandia fused into TWO games in one disc)
-Baten Kaitos
-Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
-Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
-Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (awesome RPG with a unique plot and six different endings)
-Star Wars Battlefront

edczxcvbnm
11-15-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't know what to get either. I am buying one game to tide me over till I get a job and I can't decide between.

Metroid Prime 2
Baten Kaitos
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Pikmin 2

Any yes VJ is overrated.

I can't really decide for you but why not check IGN and see the release list of games that have come out and are soon to come out.

SomethingBig
11-15-2004, 10:00 PM
VJ is not overated it is a fun old school game
Yes, it truly was.

-X-Men Legends
I've been thinking about renting this because it looks more like an action-RPG than an adventure-RPG.

-Alien Hominid (if you liked Gunstar Heroes (Genesis) you'll like AH)
Holy poo! Gunstar Heroes was/is my all time favorite Genesis game! I'll make sure to check this game out.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (awesome RPG with a unique plot and six different endings)

Meh, it sounds too much like Pokemon.

-Star Wars Battlefront
This game looks REALLY good.

Before I hear any more suggestions, does anyone know if the new Zelda game has even been released in Japan, yet, let alone finished?

edczxcvbnm
11-15-2004, 10:09 PM
New Zelda is said to be on track for Q2 next year...I doubt that and bet it will get pushed back to Q4...although Xenosaga II is proving me wrong right now.

SomethingBig
11-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Oh, okay, just making sure because some stupid idiot at my lunch table claimed to have downloaded the ENGLISH version of the new Zelda, which hasn't even been released in Japan, yet.

Anyone know how long it takes for game prices to drop? Because I'm leaning towards Metroid Prime 2, but my friend says to wait 'til Christmas for when the price drops.

BlkKnight
11-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Anyone know how long it takes for game prices to drop? Because I'm leaning towards Metroid Prime 2, but my friend says to wait 'til Christmas for when the price drops.

Game prices remain constant until they release the "player's choice" edition of the game. Only then does the price go down. As you probably know, it takes quite a few months for that to happen.

Ryth
11-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Oh, okay, just making sure because some stupid idiot at my lunch table claimed to have downloaded the ENGLISH version of the new Zelda, which hasn't even been released in Japan, yet.

If there is anything I've learned from the "Friend told me bla blah blah" thing don't believe the totally outlandish like the Zelda thing and once, I knew it was a lie but my friend said a FF would come on the Xbox is 2010 i said "Righhhht, I think the Xenon would be out by then and Square wouldn't make such a retarded mistake.", I said and he said, " The what?" and I said, " The Xbox 2" and he said, "Yeah that's what I meant........" I thought in my mind "Yeah right LIAR!!" I've been lied to many times about games WHY DO OTHERS NEED TO LIE!! Geez! I want to poinyt out that Alien Hominid has one hit deaths if that bothers you but it is very generous when it comes to lives.

-EyeToy stuff
-Killzone
-If your a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan pick up the pretty solid LOTR: The Third Age game for PS2,GC, & XB but you should rent it first.
-Neo Contra (it might be worth it)
-Ico (I know it looks boring but get it!!)
-Call of Duty: The Finest Hour
-Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (out tomorrow Nov. 16)

edczxcvbnm
11-16-2004, 12:48 AM
You know what. He could possibly be talking about the new Zelda on the GBA. I have no clue when that comes out though. Its the most feasible because it would be easier to download and get...even a ripped version of the E3 version.

Also, if you didn't like Metroid Prime then you will not like the Sequel. Its going to be more of the same.

The Amazing Spiderman
11-16-2004, 01:10 AM
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- Gran turismo 4

Those come to my mind. Metal gear's gonna be so good.

SomethingBig
11-16-2004, 03:19 AM
If there is anything I've learned from the "Friend told me bla blah blah" thing don't believe the totally outlandish like the Zelda thing
Oh, yeah, I didn't believe him for a second and my friends and I started joking around with that.

Also, if you didn't like Metroid Prime then you will not like the Sequel. Its going to be more of the same.
Meh, I suppose I'll rent it first. What's Star Ocean 3 like?

Phil
11-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Star ocean 3 is actually reallly cool. I bought it the day it came out. Its like a Soul Calibur fighting game where you can run around and use skills, plus you dont have to face the person you fight the entire time. You also have team mates, and you can choose who you control, with each person having specific moves. Its a very cool game, and almost somewhat addicting. It has a pretty good story line too.

BatChao
11-17-2004, 03:27 AM
Star Ocean 3 is really fun for most of the first disc. Then when you come to the realization that the game is fooling you by throwing you into the same areas over and over again and placing new enemies in them, you want to stop...but you've come so far that you feel like you should just grind through it. No joke. You will visit the same dungeons soooo many times in this game. I'm not talking about dungeons that looks similar either... you will be sent tot he same exact places over and over again. The battle system is cool, but wears out after a while. I recommend Tales of Symphonia over SO3.

Necronopticous
11-17-2004, 03:59 AM
According to your taste I think you'd have the most fun with Taiko Drum Master.

Ryth
11-17-2004, 09:47 PM

Or the cheaper (I think) Donkey Konga!

SomethingBig
11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Haha, I was actually going to get a Donkey Konga. A game-review show that I watch on a daily basis(X Play on G4-TechTV, for those that are interested) gave Taiko Drum Master a 4/5.

pooter7799
11-21-2004, 11:54 PM
a good game 4 u would be king dom hearts, prince of persia, beyond good and evil,
eternal darkness and resident evil 4 which will soon be coming out too
p.s. i hate sport games too

SetsuntaMew
11-22-2004, 12:12 AM
DDR Extreme is awesome. I love it. Definitely get especially if you don't have an arcade around with it.