PDA

View Full Version : Music: Male or Female?

Dingo Jellybean
11-15-2004, 09:42 PM
This isn't sexist or anything, but which gender of music do you generally listen to?

I generally listen to female artists, like Vanessa Carlton, Alanis Mor., M. Branch, Bonnie McKee, etc.

Though I do like some male artists like Howie Day and Five for Fighting. It's like a 65/35 ratio of female to male artists that I listen to, dunno...I guess they make better music that fits my taste.

Venom65437
11-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Most of my favorite bands/musicians have male singers. I don't really favor males to females, just how it worked out, there are a lot of very good females musicians out there as well!

TheAbominatrix
11-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Mostly male it seems. I have a good number of female singers I like as well, but they're vastly out numbered by the mens.

Fate Fatale
11-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Female,I dunno why, maybe its because I can sing along in-tune. (Meh voice hasn't changed yet)

Chris
11-15-2004, 10:48 PM
I only listen to female singers...

...I don't like the sound of male voices....

http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-waltergu/wal_cd/nightclu/nightclu.jpg
MY GOD or in this case GODDESS.

Strider
11-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Rock and roll is largely the domain of males, so yeah.

Samuraid
11-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Most of what I listen to is instrumental...

theundeadhero
11-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Mostly male it seems. I have a good number of female singers I like as well, but they're vastly out numbered by the mens.
This is so lazy, I know.

Skogs
11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
More female artists with mediocre voices get record deals that male artists with mediocre voices. Hence I listen mostly to male artists. Notable exceptions:

- Gemma Hayes
- Skin
- Shirley Manson (Garbage)
- Nina Simone

And many female artists with good voices sing crap-arse songs. Christina Aguilera is a case in point.

Ryth
11-15-2004, 11:24 PM
I like male music best don't know how exactly I can explain it though it's just better.

Chris
11-15-2004, 11:51 PM
More female artists with mediocre voices get record deals that male artists with mdiocre voices. Hence I listen mostly to male artists. Notable exceptions:

- Gemma Hayes
- Skin
- Shirley Manson (Garbage)
- Nina Simone

I like Skin as well :D

theundeadhero
11-16-2004, 12:12 AM
The Distillers rawk! It's a punk band with a female singer. Go punk!

Casey
11-16-2004, 12:13 AM
I only pay attention to the good music then the gender of the artist.

Rye
11-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Depends. If you look it on like, what CDs I own, it's fairly balanced as I own popish-singer CDs and Rock Male Singer CDs. Hours of music though, is way Female, cause I listen to Evanescence a lot.

I like female voices because I can sing along, but I like male voices in songs cause they often have really different sounding voices, like Serj Tankian from SoaD.

TheAbominatrix
11-16-2004, 01:00 AM
This is so lazy, I know.

Eh?

Anyway, as far as The Distillers go, I like them fine, but if you want some more female punk (and better), try Naked Aggression/Meet the Virus (same band, name change because of the death of a member), The N.Y. Rel-x, The Devotchkas, All or Nothing H.C., and The Voids.

I think the majority of chick singers I like are Japanese... with the exclusions of the bands listed above and Janis Joplin.

escobert
11-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Male.

fire_of_avalon
11-16-2004, 01:23 AM
Mostly male, as there aren't a great many female rock singers out there I consider "good". However, in other musical categories, I do find the numbers are about equal, or in the case of celtic/folk/traditional music, I prefer females overwhelmingly. But as for what I listen too most of the time, male.

Dingo Jellybean
11-16-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned any R&B or hip-hop artists. No wait...this is a Final Fantasy forum, *slaps self*

Anyways, I generally like male artists more when it comes to rap and R&B. KCi and Jojo from the 90's were great, so were Bone Thugs N' Harmony, as well as Tupac. Outkast is pretty good, and Eminem.

There are very few R&B artists that I like, but Alicia Keys is such a great talent. It's so hard to have a strong voice and play the piano at the same time, but that's what she has. Maybe not nearly as strong as Aguilera's, but it's still a great voice. Some artists compromise their voice a bit to play the piano simultaneously like Tori Amos or Vanessa Carlton, but I think it works out better. I mean their music is better than Kelly Clarkson's or Aguilera's.

Chris
11-16-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned any R&B or hip-hop artists. No wait...this is a Final Fantasy forum, *slaps self*

Anyways, I generally like male artists more when it comes to rap and R&B. KCi and Jojo from the 90's were great, so were Bone Thugs N' Harmony, as well as Tupac. Outkast is pretty good, and Eminem.

There are very few R&B artists that I like, but Alicia Keys is such a great talent. It's so hard to have a strong voice and play the piano at the same time, but that's what she has. Maybe not nearly as strong as Aguilera's, but it's still a great voice. Some artists compromise their voice a bit to play the piano simultaneously like Tori Amos or Vanessa Carlton, but I think it works out better. I mean their music is better than Kelly Clarkson's or Aguilera's.

Excuse me :mad2:

Didn't I mention Grace Jones?
She's r'n'b/ rock/ punk/ soul/ reggae.

kikimm
11-16-2004, 01:43 AM
Male. Most of the rock bands out there are male. All the female-rock groups that I've listened to have...sucked. No offense to anyone else, but I just....don't like it. I think male voices fit better, at least with the type of stuff that I listen to.

:D

Dingo Jellybean
11-16-2004, 01:49 AM
Excuse me :mad2:

Didn't I mention Grace Jones?
She's r'n'b/ rock/ punk/ soul/ reggae.

Not that I know of. Mariah Carey use to be good...but she's like, a housewife now. But the main R&B artist I listen to is Alicia Keys, other than that there isn't many of them out there that appease me...well, maybe Usher.

Chris
11-16-2004, 01:58 AM
http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-waltergu/wal_cd/nightclu/nightclu.jpg
MY GOD or in this case GODDESS.

Dingo Jellybean
11-16-2004, 02:02 AM
Ah, the picture didn't load up for me...but eh.

Grace Jones is okay...not really a big fan of her or anything.

TasteyPies
11-16-2004, 02:26 AM
I listen to whatever as long as it doesn't suck. I guess mostly guys though.

theundeadhero
11-16-2004, 03:07 AM
Eh?

Anyway, as far as The Distillers go, I like them fine, but if you want some more female punk (and better), try Naked Aggression/Meet the Virus (same band, name change because of the death of a member), The N.Y. Rel-x, The Devotchkas, All or Nothing H.C., and The Voids.

I think the majority of chick singers I like are Japanese... with the exclusions of the bands listed above and Janis Joplin.
I meant it was lazy because I just copied and pasted instead of writing something of my own. Thanx for the band tips though.

TheAbominatrix
11-16-2004, 03:11 AM
I meant it was lazy because I just copied and pasted instead of writing something of my own. Thanx for the band tips though.

Ah, I got confused. xD

Anytime. Half of my very large music library is punk, so I'm pretty knowledgable on it.

Agent Proto
11-16-2004, 03:21 AM
Mostly Male.

Though, there are some female artists I don't mind at all.

jrgen
11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Out of all the bands I listen to there is only one with a female band member
and she doesn't even sing, she plays the violin.
I mostly listen to metal and female band members aren't that common in this genre.
I just don't like female vocals as much as male vocals.
I've also never heard any really good song composed by a woman.

Project G
11-16-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm fed up with boy bands like busted

SomethingBig
11-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Female for me. I lowv my J-Pop female idols.

Xander
11-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Definately pretty much equal for me, since I listen to everything depending what mood I'm in.

Loony BoB
11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
My playlist...

Male: 1156
Female: 351
Instrumental/Both: 260
Michael Jackson: 7

I'll have to agree with whoever said that males are more likely to be worth listening to, though. It's not that I prefer them, it's just that they tend to be better. I enjoy the songs on my playlist that are by male or female artists equally (in general).

Lindy
11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Pretty Girls Make Graves, 1 hour, 23 minutes of.

The only band with a female vocalist that I actually listen to and enjoy.

DMKA
11-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Male: 1156
Female: 351
Instrumental/Both: 260
Michael Jackson: 7
xD

I listen to probably an equal mix of male and female...I never really thought about it.

I listen to alot of Michael Jackson too.

Cz
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I seem to listen to male artists mostly. No particular reason, it just seems that my favourite genres don't have much of a female presence.

The Captain
11-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Interesting question.

After looking at the music I listen to, I found that it's generally equal on the gender of the musicians.

Take care all.

crono_logical
11-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Mostly female, but it's mostly japanese too.

If I listened to western music though, I'm pretty sure it'd be male instead - many of the english singing females can't sing or have bad songs.

Starcrest
11-17-2004, 01:33 AM
mostly males here cause there isn't that many female Dj's are there? *shrugs* o well, males mostly populate the Techno Dj'ing stuff so yeah

Polaris
11-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Female - Coz I listen all day Evanescence....

Rostum
11-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Male. (i.e. Jeff Buckley, amazing voice)

Project G
11-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Just as long as it sounds good I'll listen to it

Kirobaito
11-18-2004, 02:35 AM
I listen almost exclusively to males, but it's not through any intentional effort of my own. I do enjoy Allison Krauss, however, I don't enjoy singing along with the type of music produced by females. I like country music, and to me there is a distinct difference in the two genders' production of music.

Doomgaze
11-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Amy Lee's voice isn't very good :p

Male, definitely. Female singers tend to be crap like Britney Spears.

Starcrest
11-18-2004, 03:12 AM
that's an opinion, britney spears sux, though one i agree with. though some other ppl will disagree and it could turn into an argument, so, bcareful

eestlinc
11-18-2004, 03:19 AM
what about men with voices that sound like women? Jeff Buckley? Geddy Lee? Rufus Wainwright? Neil Young?

Starcrest
11-18-2004, 03:21 AM
***coughcoughmichaljacksoncoughcough***

ne way what aobut 'em?

White Raven
11-18-2004, 05:26 AM
Male.

The only time I listen to a woman sing is during Pink Floyd's - Great Gig in the Sky song.

nik0tine
11-18-2004, 06:18 AM
I listen to almost only male artists. I never really thought about it before, but very seldom do I ever listen to any female artists.

Project G
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Amy Lee's voice isn't very good :p

WHAT!!!! Amy Lee's voice is unique fool :eek:

Tokki Wartooth
11-18-2004, 02:10 PM
The only decent female singer I can think of is that one girl from CTTS. She can scream like MAN.

jrgen
11-19-2004, 02:10 PM
WHAT!!!! Amy Lee's voice is unique fool :eek:
No it isn't.

TheAbominatrix
11-19-2004, 09:36 PM
No it isn't.

Yep, it's pretty generic.