PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda : The Minish Cap

Lindy
11-16-2004, 02:36 PM
So, I heard about this game AAAAAAAGGES ago, and I've been really looking forward to it, I mean, a new zelda game? Made by capcom? Definitely something to look forward to, though I had no idea when it was coming out, I just happened to browse by the GameFAQs page and saw that it was already out, and I was like, wtf? Came out last friday here in Europe, and due for release in the US in early January.

Finally, for once, we Europeans get something before Americans (though apparently the American version comes with a few extras, like, one whole extra cave to find, woo)

But anyway, I went out and bought it today, and started playing straight away and I can say it's insanely fun.

The game plays like a combination of LTTP, Four Swords and Link's Awakening, with very similar graphics to Four Swords, the R button is the universal action button, allowing you to grab, push or pull, and even roll (yes, that's right, you can roll just like the 3d games). A and B hold your items for use (and boy is there a plethora of them), so far all I have is the sword, shield, bombs and the wonderful, wonderful gust jar. That baby sucks in air, the longer you hold the key, the more air it sucks in, and that doesn't just mean air. It sucks up enemies, allowing you to blast them into each other, sucks up sand off the floor, bushes away from the ground, it's just crazy fun, and to think I just got that from the first dungeon.

There's also a system called kinstone fusion, which allows you to collect and find certain items called kinstones, and when you find a person whom they match to, it unlocks something, be it a new path, a hidden cave or just a chest full of rupees, though I've had little experience of it so far so it's left me a little...kinfused.

The game's story seems to be shaping up pretty well, and the wise-cracking Minish Cap of the game's name is pretty cool, he pops up and gives you hints just like the fairies from OOT and MM, or the Boat in WW. Or you can just hit select and he'll make some comment about the quest at hand, though oddly never repeats hints he's given you about puzzles.

Speaking of the puzzle, they're also very good, not too complicated (yet anyway), there's the usual amount of pot-pushing and switch finding and so on, but it's certainly not boring.

One of the things that interests me the most is the fact that you can learn new sword techniques, meaning there'll be more than just the charged attack and sword swinging of previous games. The only one I know about so far (because it was listed in the manual), is the 'Downward Thrust' technique, where while jumping with the Roc's Cape (remember that from OA/OS? Lv2 Roc's Feather?) you can jump down on an enemy and smack them with your sword in a fancy way, or something.

But whatever, it's a damn fun game, and a good continuation in the Zelda line, and while there's no appearance of Ganon or Ganondorf yet, or even of the Tri-force (or Master Sword for that matter >_>), I'm sure something classic will spring up from somewhere.

I'd say it's a must buy for any Zelda fan, and certainly the best 2d Zelda I've played in a long time, and at least it'll tide me over until the new GC Zelda comes out.

EDIT : I just got back to Hyrule town after finishing the first dungeon, and I can see...all our favourite characters are back, the postman, Anju, everyone you might remember from OOT or MM, there's even a Lon Lon Ranch, seems like the game is trying to keep to a world similar to OOT, but perhaps even prior to it.

Yamaneko
11-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I'll get it when it hits the States. Sounds promising.

MoonsEcho
11-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Yay! I'm sad to say I must be behind the times, I wasn't even aware of this game. I'm assuming it's for GC? *feels stupid*

Yamaneko
11-16-2004, 08:16 PM
GBA

MoonsEcho
11-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Oh. Bah. Guess that's why I haven't heard of it. Blasted GameBoy.

Well it sounds like a fun game, at any rate. Thanks for cluing me in, Yams. :D

theundeadhero
11-16-2004, 10:23 PM
I hope it comes out before I go overseas. You got me all excited.

XxSephirothxX
11-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Finally, I have an excuse to play my GameBoy Advance again. This and Kingdom Hearts: CoM have me quite excited. Although I'm still waiting for the next GameCube Zelda...it looks to die for.

Erdrick Holmes
11-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Can you play it by yourself or do you need at least another player to play it?

m4tt
11-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Can you play it by yourself or do you need at least another player to play it?
The preview in EGM lead me to believe that it's a single player game, and I guess there is probably a multiplayer part.

I haven't touched my GBA in a while, this might be a reason to play it again.

Lindy
11-16-2004, 11:02 PM
No multiplayer, at least I haven't seen any so far.

But what seems awesome that I've seen in reviews is later on in the game you get the ability to split into the four coloured links, a la four swords for a boost in pushing power or attack or whatever.

Not sure how you do it or how it works yet, but that looks pretty awesome.

Oh, and the cap does more than miniturise link, so far I've seen that you can jump into whirlwinds and it acts like a parachute, allowing you to float over small distances, kinda like the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker.

So many awesome little things, and I've hardly even started playing it.

NM
11-17-2004, 11:45 AM
The Four Swords element to the game isn't that big really. Once you've been to the Elemental Sancuary you have the ability to clone Link using coloured panels on the floor. To start with you can have Link plus 1 copy. You'll get more as you go through the game.

The only time you need the Four Swords element is to hit multiple switch's , stand on button's or to push blocks out of your way. But you can only do it in certain areas not when ever you want.

Doomgaze
11-17-2004, 08:10 PM
How's the music?

NM
11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
How's the music?

As you would expect. All the old tunes are there just slighty re-mixed.