PDA

View Full Version : FFII - How did you train YOUR characters?

robfinalfantasy
11-19-2004, 11:47 AM
We all know that there are no jobs per se in Final Fantasy II. Nonetheless I trained my characters to be:

Fighter - usually Maria
Black Mage - usually Gus
White Mage - usually Firion
What ever he/she came as :tongue:

How did you train YOUR characters?

DJZen
11-20-2004, 12:49 AM
I used the old standby:

Firion - Paladin
Maria - Black Mage
Gus - Cuisinart Of Doom
Leon - Red Magey Type Thing Who Can Use Ultima

Captain Maxx Power
11-20-2004, 06:23 PM
I pretty much have the same setup for each character : Cure,Fire,Ice,Bolt,Life,Exit,Esuna for everyone, with Holy, Ultima, Flare and Aura given to one person. Fry is a sword + shield man, Maria is a bowyer, Guy is an axe + shield man and Leon is also sword + shield. A kind of super charged Red Mage.

Karana
11-22-2004, 12:05 AM
I gave fire, ice, bolt & cure to all of the main characters. I didn't bother with any shields, I gave each of the characters 2 weapons. Firion I treated more like a warrior class, Maria was more of a white mage out of all of my characters, and Gus was a warrior red mage. Then the 4th character, whoever it was I was a pure warrior class, I either made them fight w/ their fists or weapons. Then I once I got the blood sword, I always had it be 1 of Firions weapons. I love the blood sword :D . Sometimes it helps to raise levels by either beating yourself up or starting to go into one of important battle places for your mission, then go out heal up & go back in.

Martyr
12-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Frionel (Is that the correct name?) was always a sword guy. I never used shields. I mean, he a fighter. Look at the graphic. I doubt that anybody took a look at frionel and said, "Mage Robes and Staffs and Lightning magic for this guy!"

The girl starts in the back row, and, I think, with a bow. So what do you think I did with her? I made her my mage.

Gus in the stat screen looks like an ogre himself. For the sake of style I trained him in the delicate art of Clubs until the end when I figured out that the sword is the only weapon anybody should be trained with since there are already 2 swords in the game that are both stronger than the strongest club or axe.

The last dude came in so late that I didn't train him much. I let him cast white magic, even he looked more fit for dark, and I gave him a sword since Gus was too much of a club freak to turn back.

DJZen
12-06-2004, 04:45 AM
Gus can do a disturbingly high amount of damage with dual axes. Try it some time.

feioncastor
12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Firion - Sword/Shield/White Mage
Gus - Axe (for heavy physical damage)
Maria - Sword/Sword/Black Mage
Likewise

Feion

Dragoon Kain
12-07-2004, 10:19 PM
i just started this game again and i made:
firion-sword guy (gonna be a paladin later on, or maybe a dark knight not sure yet)
maria-gave her dual lances and put her in the front row lol. DRAGOON!!! haha
guy-took away his axe and im training him to be a monk lol. i got bored lol.

Crazy the Clown
12-13-2004, 01:02 PM
To bulk 'em up, I'd just fight against weaker foes, and kick my own ass, but almost never to the point of death. Sometimes, it's unavoidable.

To build their magic up, I'd take the top 3 and use a method I learned by reading a cheat site's info. Goes a little like this.
-First, select a spell, and confirm the selection. Doing this will bring the cursor to the next fighter.
-Next, take back your command with the cancel button.
-Repeat.
(Note this doesn't work for Leon, Layla, Gordon, Mindu, Josef, or Gareth.)

To build their weapon skills up, I equip each character with 2 weapons at once. Sometimes, I use 2 different weapons, so I can build up 2 different weapon types, simultaneously.

Flashback007
12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Hmmm, let me see

Firion
Weapon: Sword
Magic: Cure + status spells

Maria
Weapon: Bow
Magic: White Magic

Gus
Weapon: Axes at each hand
Magic: Black Magic

Leon
Weapon: Sword
Magic: Maybe a mixture between Black and White

DJZen
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
To build their magic up, I'd take the top 3 and use a method I learned by reading a cheat site's info. Goes a little like this.
-First, select a spell, and confirm the selection. Doing this will bring the cursor to the next fighter.
-Next, take back your command with the cancel button.
-Repeat.
(Note this doesn't work for Leon, Layla, Gordon, Mindu, Josef, or Gareth.)

Yup, good ol' select/cancel trick. It's funny, back in 1997 we considered beating up your own characters a fun ol' time. Now everyone whines about having to do it. Oh well.

Martyr
12-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah. I wish we could beat ourselves up in more FF games.

It could help for challenge seekers.

"Use the first 2 turns against every boss to attack only yourselves!"
Or something...

Anyway, the point of this post is, uh... GUS RULES! DOUBLE AXES ROXXOR MY BOXORS!

theundeadhero
12-13-2004, 10:55 PM
One person= sword and shield.
One person=Barehand.
One person=Bow and usefeul spells. Not that many.
Everyone= Cure and Life.

Dragonfire
12-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Frionel:
Weapon - Two Swords, then end game: usually Masamune (gotta love a haste sword :)) and a Blood sword (if you don't know the power of blood, don't ask :p)
Magic - sort of red mage-ish (Cure, Fire, Bolt, Ice, Esuna, Exit, and Life)

Maria:
Weapon - Bow early game, Powerful Canes if I find them, then back to Bow when i get the last one (Yoichi I think)
Magic - Strong white, light black magic early game, then use elemental weapons and items if needed later. (Aero/Bio 16 cane pwns Thunder Gigas :D)

Gus:
Weapon - Two Axes, end game: I forget the axe name
Magic - bout the same as Frionel

Leon:
Weapon - Swords, end game: the other Blood, and I forget what the other powerful sword was.
Magic - Basic white magic (Cure, Life, and Esuna if I really feel like taking the time.)

If i'm trying to speed thru the game, every character gets Swap, including the guys who come and go. Holy, Flare, Ultima, etc. I really don't care about, they're pretty useless at the time you get them anyway IMHO

DJZen
12-15-2004, 11:33 PM
They're not useless if you level them up. If you get someone Fire and Flare at the same time (meaning both spells are at level 1) you'll definitely notice the discrepancy between them. Most people cast the spell once, say "OMG IT DOES NO DAMAGE WTF!!!!!!!!!1111" and then ignore them. If I've said it once I've said it a million times. This game is NOT made for power gamers. Diversify less and you'll be much stronger. There's a famous martial arts quote that goes "I fear the man who practices one move a thousand times more than I fear the man who practices a thousand moves one time." Meditate on that.