PDA

View Full Version : Names

Zante
11-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Which FF characters had realy cool names in your opinion? And were there any names you found very bad chossen?

The coolest names in my opinion were Red XIII, Shadow, Auron, Cloud and Kain. On the other hand, names that realy sucked were Butz and Rosa.

Dking'squeen
11-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Selphie sounded too normal compared to SQuall, which is a high pitvhed noise or something. I thought Nanaki was a cool name

Flashback007
11-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Red XIII is a cool name indeed. Aswell as Kain. But also Rydia from FFIV and what to think about Sephiroth. That is a really cool name :D. Well and the rest. Yeah, I liked Cyan. Names that sucked were Edgar and Edward (although Edgar is a cool charachters)

Armisael
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
i like a lot Tifa,Shadow,Terra,Celes,Locke,Sabin,Kain and Cecil..they really sound very cool..
on the other hand names like Yuna,Tidus and Butz didn't impress me that much..

Jolts
11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey, that's "Flaming Homer." Stupid thieving Moe :lol:.

Anyway, I never really liked any of their names, that's why I usually rename them to my liking (when given the option, of course).

ill-fated-life
11-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey, that's "Flaming Homer." Stupid thieving Moe :lol:.

Anyway, I never really liked any of their names, that's why I usually rename them to my liking (when given the option, of course).
it's a Flaming Moe!, his name is Moe and so it's a Flaming Moe!

Dking'squeen
11-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Wasn't there a time when it was a flaming homer and flaming moe?

MoonsEcho
11-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Selphie sounded too normal compared to SQuall, which is a high pitvhed noise or something. I thought Nanaki was a cool name

Actually, a squall is a short wind/rain storm. :)

Squall and Angelo are really the only names from VIII I liked. Oh, and Laguna. I also liked Cloud, Tifa, Aeris (but not Aerith), RedXIII AND Nanaki, Tidus, Freya, Auron, and Kimahri. Oh and Locke, Shadow and Edge. I am probably forgetting a lot....

I did not like Selphie, Quistis, Butz, Galuf, Brahne....and others I'm sure.

Dking'squeen
11-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Actually, a squall is a short wind/rain storm.

Thanks. I knew that it was something to do with nature

TasteyPies
11-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Leon has been reused a few times. I like it.

Dark Matter
11-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Loves
[FFX] Yuna, Rikku, Kimahri, Seymour, Yunalesca, Braska, Yu Yevon
[FFIX] Zidane, Eiko, Garnet, Beatrix, Steiner, Kuja
[FFVIII] Squall, Rinoa, Julia, Laguna, Seifer, Raine, Ellone
[FFVII] Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Elena, Sephiroth, Heidegger (that's because of DJzen :) )
Dislikes
Red XIII (meaningless, IMO)

PS: Could sb tell me what's Garnet's real name??

Takara
11-21-2004, 09:25 AM
PS: Could sb tell me what's Garnet's real name??

Her real name is Sara

Shadow_Talon
11-21-2004, 09:31 AM
love alot of names...most of em very cleva....my yavourites would have to be:

Cloud, Tidus, Yuna, Khimari, Yunalesca

There was two i found some what, how to put, "shows the designers ran out of names for their characters", yeah i know they are onle "side" characters but Brother and his friend Buddy from FFX-2 arent the most original of names i've seen

Del Murder
12-11-2004, 05:30 AM
FuSoYa
Yang
Josef
Terra
Locke
Vincent

Imperia
12-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Great Names- Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Reina (or Lenna), Terra, Celes, Relm, Locke, Shadow, Aeris, Tifa, Vincent, Cait Sith, Rinoa, Garnet, Freya, Eiko, Yuna, Paine, Le Blanc.

Not-so-great Names- FuSoYa, Bartz (or Butz), Aerith (I don't like it, I like 'Aeris' better), Yuffie, Lulu, Rikku, Lucil.

Many of the names people name their characters in FFXI are great too! :D

Martyr
12-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Lionheart is a really stupid name. It was once a good nickname for, perhaps, some valiant dude. But as a character's name, no. It's like takling a cliched stereotype to the next level.
But Gus/Guy is good. Fits the character, and I like short names like that. I like the name Gus, I don't know why.

Not only is Rydia a badass character, but it is a fantastic name. So is Kain.
Edge is not a fantastic name. It's dull. Oxymoron.

Butz is a terribly created name. Bartz doesn't fix it. Cara is dull. Galuf is great for the character, but, I must admit, it isn't appealing at first. Faris was probably the coolest name in FFV.

Setzer and Locke stand out as cool names from FFVI. Unfortunately, the fact that Locke was a thief totally butchers the uniqueness of the name. Anything blatant becomes ugly. And Shadow sounds like a freaking filler to me. Like they couldn't think of anything real so they looked up synonyms for ninja (Didn't want to name him Ninjo. How about Kino. That'd work. But no. A cave boy gets Kino.). Celes is also unique. I don't know if I like it, but it's unique. But FFVI is filled with bad names. Maybe they tried too hard and came out with crap instead of magic. It happens sometimes.

Cloud wears black armor and carries a gigantic sword. I know that I was mad about the "Locke"thing, but reversing the process is almost dumber. His name should be "Lead" if we're going to name him after non-living nouns. Freaking Cloud... WTF.

Cless
12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Yazoo'squeen:

Originally Posted by Moonsecho:
Actually, a squall is a short wind/rain storm.
It actually can mean both

Squall:
(phenomenon) n. sudden violent winds often accompanied by precipitation
(communication) v. make high-pitched, whiney noises

Polaris
12-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Rikku, Quistis, Seifer, Sephirith, Aeris... and Lulu

Devourment
12-17-2004, 11:27 AM
I think Aeris(why do some people call her Aerith??)
Terra, Ellone, Seifer, Zidane, Edea, Amarant, Sephiroth,
& Zell.

Zante
12-17-2004, 12:00 PM
She was called Aerith in the original game (I think Aerith means Clouds possesion or something in that way)

turnitup5000db
01-09-2005, 12:05 PM
OK... FFIV had Kain(cool name), Edge(AWESOME name), Tellah(Dopey name for a dopey comment...), Golbez(God, I wish that was my name), and Zemus(Oooh, ooh, I changed my mind, I want that one...)

FFV had great characters with almost all stupid names. Butz/Bartz. Galuf. Mid. The only really cool names are Faris and Exdeath. And Exdeath sucked, as a villain.

FFVI had almost all great names. Terra. Celes. Locke. Sabin. Shadow. Relm. Strago. Kefka. Ghestal. There are more, but I think I've made my point.

FFVII had some really awesome ones too. Aeris, Cloud, Vincent Valentine, Sephiroth, Jenova, Hojo, Rufus... the list goes on.

I hated FFVIII and never finished it or started anything after that, so I'm not going to go into that.

FF Tactics had a couple of pretty funkay names. Orlandeau. Mustadio. Ramza. Cloud AGAIN. Zalbag. The list, again, goes on.

And thats about it.

Slade
01-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Cloud wears black armor and carries a gigantic sword. I know that I was mad about the "Locke"thing, but reversing the process is almost dumber. His name should be "Lead" if we're going to name him after non-living nouns. Freaking Cloud... WTF.

Since when does Cloud wear black? He wears purple and its hardly armour....cept that weirdo thing on his shoulder that forever pisses me off everytime i saw it.

My fav names were: Rydia, Terra, Setzer, Celes, Locke, Barret, Aeris (and Aerith), Yuffie (untill i found out from KH how it was really pronounced :mad: ), Reno, Elena, Squall, Selphie, Quistis, Zell, Ultimecia, Zidane, Amarant, Vivi, Garnet (but not Dagger), Beatrix, Tidus, Auron, Wakka, Lulu, Paine, Le Blanc and of course Wedge & Biggs.......theres probably more tho

I didnt like Nanaki at all.....i was gutted when i found out that was his true name.....sounds like some sorta underwear brand. Edge was lame.......those were the most depressing names for me. Oh and the proper way of pronouncing Yuffie..........shudder.....YOO-fie :mad2:

*~Nirvana~*
01-10-2005, 10:03 AM
I quite like the names Yunalesca, Beatrix, Garnet, Le-Blanc, Auron, Seifer, Eiko... and all the other 'cool-sounding' names that are out of the ordinary :)

DaggerFlux
01-10-2005, 05:25 PM
FF7: Aeries, Tifa, Sephiroth, Vincent Valentine, Reno

FF8: Raine, Rinoa, Seifer

FF9: Dagger

FF10: Yuna, Lulu, Yunalesca, Seymour (my one true love lol)

Slade
01-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Oh yeah, Seymour. Forgot about that name. I always thought that was a cool name. And i forgot Kuja aswell!

RedCydranth
01-10-2005, 11:33 PM
One thing I think people take in effect is the character when they are naming their favorite names. If Sephiroth was 6 year old kid who gets killed in Sector 7's plate falling, no one'd say, Man, Sephiroth is a cool name.

The same goes for Cloud. His name is CLOUD for christ's sake. If somebody came up to mewanting to kick my ass and introduced himself as Cloud, Id laugh and say "What, are you gonna precipitate on me? Please, let me have a word with your parents" Yes the character Cloud rocked hardcore with his spiky hair, his pimping ability to attract the chicks by saying as little as possible and his kick-ass victory swordswinging. But his name wasn't his bright point.

Now that leaves me to assess all the games and decide for myself which names I liked, not basing it on how cool the characters themselves are.

FF1: None
FF2: Leila (Layla) The pirate chick.
FF3: Not played fully but Onionkids are dumb looking.
FF4: Kain and Edge
FF5: Reina
FF6: Shadow, Cyan, Strago, Kefka
FF7: Barret, Yuffie, Red XIII
FF8: Zell
FF9: Vivi, Steiner, Freya, Blank
FFX: Kimahri, Barthello
FFX-2: Paine
FFT: Mustadio, Weigraf
FFTA: Montblanc

Those are my favorite names in each game. There, happy?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Klulu and Lydia.

rubah
01-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I liked Lenna a lot:) and Faris. I mean, who wouldn't want to be named after a big friggin' huge wheel? :D

Layla the pirate always makes me think of eric clapton:D it's awesome. Frioniel is a neat name, but sorta. . overdone.

I like rydia, but mostly because I knew a girl on a forum before I ever played ff4 that used that name:) I hated the name cecil, but now I'll just sorta mildly dislike it.

I like Locke, I'd like Celes more if it weren't for the character it was attached to. I'll say that Edgar has made me respect *that* name much more:D Gogo sounds like a name a hooker would use;D

I like the name Tifa, because it's a cute way to shorten Tiffany (keep wanting to add that i like the girl at school) Aeris looks pretty, what with all the vowels, but I don't think it would be said well enough for me to really like it. Vincent is an awesome name:D My brother [probably] hasn't played ff7, but when he changed his name legally, that's his middle name. Tyler Vincent. A couple of people at school have it as a last name, so if they ever get together, it'll be Vincent Vincent. (reminds me of wilson wilson from home improvement) Poor kid.

I love the name rinoa. *shrugs* Don't ask me why:) Irvine is an interesting twist on irving, and sounds a bit less geeky somehow^_^ Edea is also cool, but like aeris, has a bit of unpronuncibility. for me anyways.

I don't really like the name Garnet. I mean, it sounds like a random stone. 'Hey rock, c'mere!' even though I think that a garnet is a specific stone, it always has the conotation of a random one. I like the name Zidane though:) It has the coolness of Shane/Zane/Blane with the spiffiness of another sylable.

I love the name Auron:D I have this thing with words with the au sound-- aurum (gold), aurora, aural, and now Auron:D I sorta like the names Rikku and Yuna, yuna for the way it looks in sanserif, and rikku for the way it rolls off your tongue. Cant' compare to AURON though.

I like the name Baralai too. Not sure why:) However, I dont' like the name Nooj, and that's the only thing holding him back, imo.

Marche:D mar-shay:D so much cooler than saying it 'march'

UltimaLimit
01-11-2005, 03:11 AM
Kain
Red XIII and Nanaki
Boco :choc: :tongue:
Sephiroth
Freija
Kuja
Blank

Some of the random generic unit names on FF Tactics (Philo, Baskirk).

If we include names of places:

Terra, Wutai, Murond Death City, Midgar, Cosmo Canyon, Norther Crater.

Dking'squeen
01-11-2005, 04:46 PM
I like the name Seymour, but he was damn annoying
Baralai, i love that name
Gippal
Rikku
Yunalesca
Angelo
Zidane
Freya
Eiko
Sephiroth
Reno:love:
*didn't like Cid either because that name is too normal, plus Sara...wtf?*
*can I say names from ADvent Children....well there's no need to anyway, everyone knows who i'll say already, just look at my name and sig :D:love:*

Yuffie514
01-13-2005, 02:14 AM
Cool:

VII...Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, RedXIII (Nanaki), Yuffie, Sephiroth
VIII...Squall, Seifer, Rinoa, Edea, Ultimecia, Griever, Laguna
IX...Vivi, Garnet, Beatrix, Eiko, Freya, Kuja
X...Tidus, Yuna, Kimahri, Isaaru, Rikku, Jecht
X-2...Paine
FFTA...Marche

Weird:

VII...Cait Sith, Vincent, Barret
VIII...Selphie, Quistis, Ward, Kiros, Irvine