PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean 3. Love it or hate it?

Fukami-Haruda
11-20-2004, 07:56 AM
I have to say when I first bought this game, I was hating it with all my heart (MP dying WTF?), but now i've come to appreciate it and see all of it's good points and I absolutely love it. The enviroments' graphics are beautiful, and the story's interesting. I think it's an acquiered taste but definately worth it.

BatChao
11-20-2004, 08:43 AM
That's funny because I'm the exact opposite. In the beginning, the battle system was fresh, and the story seemed pretty neat. However, somewhere around the end of disc 1 and the beginning of disc 2, I started disliking it. The dungeons were horribly long and annoying, the difficulty curve became incredibly strange (I'm kicking all sorts of ass and then suddenly regular battles are becoming tough?!), and they kept sending me to the same damn dungeons and areas over and over again. Please just send me somewhere new! Right now, I can't take it anymore... I'm trying really hard to beat it, but I can't play more than an hour at a time because I'm starting to become reaaallly annoyed by the game. I'll probably finish it... I've already invested 50 hours or so in it, so I guess I'll just grit my teeth and finish it.

One thing I really like from start to end, though, is the invention system. I think it's a fun and interesting addition to the game.

Fukami-Haruda
11-20-2004, 09:32 AM
That's funny because I'm the exact opposite. In the beginning, the battle system was fresh, and the story seemed pretty neat. However, somewhere around the end of disc 1 and the beginning of disc 2, I started disliking it. The dungeons were horribly long and annoying, the difficulty curve became incredibly strange (I'm kicking all sorts of ass and then suddenly regular battles are becoming tough?!), and they kept sending me to the same damn dungeons and areas over and over again. Please just send me somewhere new! Right now, I can't take it anymore... I'm trying really hard to beat it, but I can't play more than an hour at a time because I'm starting to become reaaallly annoyed by the game. I'll probably finish it... I've already invested 50 hours or so in it, so I guess I'll just grit my teeth and finish it.

One thing I really like from start to end, though, is the invention system. I think it's a fun and interesting addition to the game.

That makes sense, cause some of the reviews describe going back and forth between hating and loving the game. I'm still on disc one, I might hate it again later but at the moment, i'm loving it.

NM
11-20-2004, 08:24 PM
I loved it from start to finish. It's now one of my favourite RPG's.

black orb
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
>>> Lol, thats sound exactly like SO 2. :D
I havent played so3 yet, that game is kind of expensive and I cant afford it right now..

LunarWeaver
11-22-2004, 12:24 AM
I had pretty high hopes for it, especially since every critic in the universe was saying how great the battle system is. I love action RPGs, which this isn't technically but not far off, but I was disapointed with the system ultimately. All my skills took HP or MP, both of which killed me, so it pretty much ends up with me having a lot of skills that I never use because I like to live, and then setting my partners AI to use little skills as well. I didn't really have an issue with the story or the characters, all that held my interest well enough but in my opinion Tales of Symphonia did the whole real time system much better.

Lord Chainsaw
11-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I thought the game actually picked up at the beginning of the second disc.

I was enjoying the game during the first disc, but once the second disc started the story really picked up and I became enveloped in it. I actually enjoyed the plot twist which many hate. I enjoy the battle system. And the reason the difficulty shoots up is because at that point in the game you should already be able to craft oricihalcum. The game expects you to have used synthesis to raise your stats.

Try it. It definitely works. My final save from my previous game had Cliff with 1200 ATP doing 500 damage per hit from Fists of Fury. This time around I'm at the beginning of disc 2 with 2200 ATP doing 750 damage a hit from Fists of Fury. Item creation works.

NM
11-22-2004, 06:17 PM
I had pretty high hopes for it, especially since every critic in the universe was saying how great the battle system is. I love action RPGs, which this isn't technically but not far off, but I was disapointed with the system ultimately. All my skills took HP or MP, both of which killed me, so it pretty much ends up with me having a lot of skills that I never use because I like to live, and then setting my partners AI to use little skills as well. I didn't really have an issue with the story or the characters, all that held my interest well enough but in my opinion Tales of Symphonia did the whole real time system much better.

You need to heal yourself. All your character's should have support magic after a few hours of play or you can use items.

Yes your moves require some of your HP or MP. If they didn't battles would be a case of using your special attack over and over without the need for any tactics. Besides only the top moves use alot of HP anyway, and by the time you aquire them you'll be at such a level that it's not really a problem.