PDA

View Full Version : how to remove scratches???

Dreddz
11-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi i hav a little question my gta san andreas has got a number of scratches on it and i would lik 2 know if anyone has any home rememdies plz plz

TasteyPies
11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Take care of your games better

There are products/machines that restore scratches. You can either take it somewhere to get it done for you or buy one at a game store or office depot or something.

Erdrick Holmes
11-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Take a bit of toilet paper, apply a dab of toothpaste in the disc, and apply the paste all over with the toilet paper. I think you're either supposed to let it sit for awhile then rinse the disc with water or rinse it off immediatly.

Zell's Fists of Fury
11-21-2004, 03:42 AM
I heard battery acid works well.

Shoeberto
11-21-2004, 04:18 AM
Take a bit of toilet paper, apply a dab of toothpaste in the disc, and apply the paste all over with the toilet paper. I think you're either supposed to let it sit for awhile then rinse the disc with water or rinse it off immediatly.
Leaving it on or off makes no difference, the effect you're trying to achieve is using the roughness of the texture of the toothpaste to eliminate the scratched layer of the disc so that there aren't any skips in the reading.

You have to make sure you don't use a gel toothpaste in this method, though. And when rubbing the toothpaste on, do it from the center of the disc outward, all the way around, a few times. A washcloth or paper towel would work better than a tissue.

It does work, as long as the scratch isn't too deep.

Casey
11-21-2004, 05:12 AM
There are products/machines that restore scratches. You can either take it somewhere to get it done for you or buy one at a game store or office depot or something.

Yup. Try looking in the phone book for cd-repair places. Im sure they'll repair it for you for a cheap cost.

DMKA
11-21-2004, 06:18 AM
I heard battery acid works well.
Omg I thought it was just a rumor.

TasteyPies
11-25-2004, 03:56 AM
Omg I thought it was just a rumor.

Nope, batery acid realy does work.

Another method is holding the disk in one hand while using a lighter to soften up the bottom of the disk.

You can also try sumerging it in rubbing alchahol and throwing matches at it from afar.

I heard you can also use a hammer to smoothe out the scratches.

.......don't

BatChao
11-29-2004, 10:01 AM
You can buy some products that can fix scratched CDs from places like Fry's and Best Buy. I think they cost around $25... but I've never tried to use one so I can't say how well they work.

Optium
11-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Actually leaving the toothpaste on does make a difference. My FFX got a
big scratch on it from when it was in my PS2 and my PS2 fell off my
dresser (onto my head). It would load up but no monsters would load if I
got into a battle. I tried to exchange it but of course they don't do that,
so I bought some scratch remover and that didn't work, in fact it made it
worse, it didn't even load the game at all. So the other day I read on here
that the purpose of scratch removers was to "buff out" the scratch in a
sense by making other little scratches on the CD. So I took some vasoline
(as it was the first thing in the bathroom that caught my attention) and
put it on the scratch. I smudged it around a bit until that part of the disc
was sort of wierd looking, the light sort of refracted a bit making it look
sort of shiny, and when I tried it out it loaded but didn't load the monsters.
Alright, that's progress at least, or maybe just coming out even, but
whatever. So I washed it off and tried the old toothpaste trick which I
have used many many times on many many CDs, but it never worked on
my FFX. I tried it the normal way, rubbing it on and rinsing it off. Nothing.
Then I tried leaving it on. My CD looked somewhat like a foggy mirror,
maybe it looked like there was a slight layer of dust on it, but basically
you can still see the toothpaste, but not too much. And I load up the
game, get into a battle, and kick some ass. So it works now, and I've
been playing it for 3 days straight. :D

.opt

Doc Sark
11-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Even better....

When I bought San Andreas I was told by the guy in the shop that many copies of the game were being reported scratched after very little use and that game was becoming unplayable in places. Get in contact with Rockstar Games because they are aware of the problem and may be able to replace your faulty copy with a new one providing you haven't been throwing it around your bedroom in frustration at the flying school missions!!!!

"God damn fly round the airstrip and land, I'LL GIVE YOU FLY ROUND THE F******G AIRSTRIP AND LAND YOU M**********R, TAKE THAT ROCKSTAR GAMES, HURTS DON'T IT YOU B*****D CD, MUCK ME AROUND WILL YOU....."

Fortunately I showed restraint and managed only to mildly damage my kneecap with my controller. I'm now walking properly again.

arylonthedancer
12-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Has anyone ever used a Game Doctor? Im fairly interested in getting one. I just want something to take care of some fairly scratched CDs before they stop working.

On a side note, Is there really a way to ensure that your CDs don't get scratched? Games are a different story. With the limited amount of times you load and unload game discs its not too hard, but my CDs just seem to get scratched no matter what I do, and I am very careful. Im somewhat of a perfectionist, and it really angers me when random scratches appear no matter how cautious I am.