PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or Not?

Leeza
11-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm buying another computer, but I don't know if I should get a laptop or another regular PC. If anyone here uses a laptop, I'd like to hear its pros and cons. I'll be buying a Dell so I don't need brand names. I just want to know how a laptop compares to a regualr PC.

viggtu
11-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Ok I am a Computer Science major in college so first thing look around before getting a dell and you will see a major price difference. if you want service then yeah go with dell but otherwise most others are cheaper. second a laptop can be just as good as a desktop depending on what you want to do with it and what you put in it. if you put an athlon XP processor in it it will be better than most desktops you also need at least 512 megs of ram. on the downside the maximum harddrive space for a laptop is 80 gigs. oh yeah and I use a laptop

Jojee
11-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I'd rather have a normal computer ^^ If I weren't in college I would... No use for my laptop really, I never carry it around with me. I only use it in my dorm... And the screen is really shiny and distorts colors sometimes, which is a deal to me since I webdesign :|

Peegee
11-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Okay the thing with Laptops is that upgrading them is a hassle (is it still a hassle?), or expensive. Maybe somebody can tell me that technology advances are better. But the way I see it, get a laptop that can last you a few years, so that if you ever need to replace it, it's not a big deal.

My mom has a laptop as powerful as this computer, for example (Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz). Probably not as much ram though.

Baloki
11-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Okay the thing with Laptops is that upgrading them is a hassle (is it still a hassle?), or expensive. Maybe somebody can tell me that technology advances are better. But the way I see it, get a laptop that can last you a few years, so that if you ever need to replace it, it's not a big deal.

My mom has a laptop as powerful as this computer, for example (Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz). Probably not as much ram though.

The RAM is the only really easy thing to replace/upgrade on a laptop, and more powerful laptops eat battery power rather quickly but and heres the whole thing:

<center><b>A laptop is portable</b></center>

So if your not planning to take it around places with you or move it very often, ie let it sit on a desk get a computer, their more powerful, you don't have to worry about battery life, computers are more versitile and easier to keep at the cutting edge if you need them to and a desktop doesn't overheat very eaerly unless you shove it next to a radiator or overclock it.

So the only question you need to ask yourself as you've committed yourself to buying Dell is, do I need it to be portable?
Yes = laptop
No = Desktop
Maybe = Get another kitten :cat:

Dr Unne
11-20-2004, 05:19 PM
You pay more for laptops and get slower / older hardware, you'll get a smaller monitor size than you would if you bought a desktop at the same price, etc. You can't easily upgrade the hardware in laptops. If you drop it, bye bye $2000. I know a lot of people whose laptops have broken as well; sometimes they're pretty fragile, for example the hinges that open/shut them. There's also the fun of not having a mouse and having a non-standard keyboard layout, depending on which one you get. And the whole constantly-charging-the-battery thing would annoy me to death. I wouldn't get a laptop unless you're positive that taking your computer with you out in public is necessary. That's the only point of having a laptop.

Rainecloud
11-20-2004, 05:24 PM
In stark contrast to Unne's post.

Yes.

Baloki
11-20-2004, 05:26 PM
You pay more for laptops and get slower / older hardware, you'll get a smaller monitor size than you would if you bought a desktop at the same price, etc. You can't easily upgrade the hardware in laptops. If you drop it, bye bye $2000. I know a lot of people whose laptops have broken as well; sometimes they're pretty fragile, for example the hinges that open/shut them. There's also the fun of not having a mouse and having a non-standard keyboard layout, depending on which one you get. And the whole constantly-charging-the-battery thing would annoy me to death. I wouldn't get a laptop unless you're positive that taking your computer with you out in public is necessary. That's the only point of having a laptop.

I'm becoming Unne *cries :cry: *

escobert
11-20-2004, 05:45 PM
This is my first laptop. I hate it.I want my desktop back :(

Yamaneko
11-20-2004, 07:22 PM
If you don't plan to go out and use the laptop someplace other than your home then go with the desktop. I see very little point in having a laptop if you can't access the Internet from anywhere (something you can do now in LA with Verizon Wireless).

Shoeberto
11-20-2004, 07:25 PM
How can we know that Leeza isn't a hardcore wardriver?

eestlinc
11-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Two reasons I would like to buy a laptop:

1. It would be nice to be able to sit on my couch and work on stuff at the computer. I have to sit at a desk all day at work and coming home and sitting at a desk to use my computer for either pleasure or personal business is somewhat annoying.

2. I want to use my computer for live music recording and playback. Pretty much need a laptop for that, unless you either do all your recording and performance at home (not likely) or you tote your desktop around with you (would suck).

Those are the only reasons I would want a laptop. Otherwise they are clearly inferior to desktops.

Bomber
11-20-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a laptop, but I don't use it as such. Most of the time, it just stays docked at my desk. Only get a laptop if you plan to take it a lot of places. Otherwise, it just isn't worth the extra money you'll have to cough up.

NM
11-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Get a Desktop.

I can't stand laptop's myself. There expensive for the spec you get. You can't uprade them. (Apart from the RAM or possible the HDD if it's accesible from under the keyboard, or a back panel.) The battery life isn't very long on modern laptop's because of the high spec. They overheat. The screen's are small and you have the added problem of dead pixels. You know you'll end up with a red dot, dead centre of the screen the day after the warrenty runs out. And to top it all off. If it breaks you may as well throw it away as they cost so much to repair.

Leeza
11-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Thank you all for your input. :) The main reason that I was leaning towards a laptop was because I really don't know where I would set up another desktop, but with a wireless laptop I can use it anywhere in the house...including in front of the fireplace where it's actually warm.

The Dell that I was looking at is a Pentium 4 (3.20 GHz, 533MHz FSB), 1 GB, 333 MHz, 2DIMMs for memory, 60 GB, 4 years of accidental damage service. The same in a desktop would definitely be less expensive. I'll guess I'll just have to really think about it.

Dingo Jellybean
11-21-2004, 04:21 AM
The Dell that I was looking at is a Pentium 4 (3.20 GHz, 533MHz FSB), 1 GB, 333 MHz, 2DIMMs for memory, 60 GB, 4 years of accidental damage service. The same in a desktop would definitely be less expensive. I'll guess I'll just have to really think about it.

That computer with those types of specks would probably cost about $900 in my area without that 4 years service. On a laptop, those same specs could go for around $2300. Portability is incredibly expensive.

Take for instance my digital camera, it takes much better photos than my camera phone and it costs just $30. My camera phone costs $300.

But as Unne said, I've had problems with laptops. The monitors are very poor in quality and the hinges break very easily. If you want something slim and portable...try a small hardrive and a flatscreen. I think Dell sells a hardrive that's the size of a DVD case.

fire_of_avalon
11-21-2004, 04:39 AM

I use a laptop as my primary PC, and I can say this is all pretty accurate. Dells do have pretty good warranties, as far as laptops go (my friend has a Dell laptop), but honestly, unless you need something you can tote around, a desktop is a better idea. I love my laptop, but that's because I can take it to libraries and use my wireless internet stuff, pretty much whenever I want.

EDIT: Dingo brings up an excellent point, too. I don't remember the name of the HD, but we use them at work. As far as I understand it's all the componets of a laptop (as far as size goes) but with the reliability of a desktop. Then again, three of the six computers I trained on were out of commission for no apparent reason.

Dingo Jellybean
11-21-2004, 04:52 AM
EDIT: Dingo brings up an excellent point, too. I don't remember the name of the HD, but we use them at work. As far as I understand it's all the componets of a laptop (as far as size goes) but with the reliability of a desktop. Then again, three of the six computers I trained on were out of commission for no apparent reason.

There's an even smaller hardrive I saw in a Shoppers' Advantage catalog. It's only 5" all around or so and about 3" thick, and it's already more powerful than my current PC. It only stores about 10GB, but that's about as much as I ever need. I don't even use up 1GB of space on my current PC and it costs only $400. It has a DVD drive, CD burner, 512MBs of RAM, and stuff that's more than twice the power of my current Win98 1st edition-based PC.

Casey
11-21-2004, 05:04 AM
I agree with what others said, laptops arnt really that great, and the overheat easily when compared to a desktop computer. But then again if you dont use it much or travel alot, and dont play games on it, then why not?

Thats up to you though, I think Desktops are way better then laptops. Plus you can always upgrade parts of the Desktop computer...

crono_logical
11-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Everyone with overheating laptops probably has either an AMD processor or has their Intel processor set wrong/without speedstep :p I've never had a speedstep CPU get extremely hot (except when doing heavy video processing etc., but even then it's not overheating) because when it's not doing much, it slows down so reduces heat generated. If you're going for a laptop, I'd recommend an Intel M or 4M processor purely because of this.

My laptop's currently acting as a network server/internet gateway :monster:

Baloki
11-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Everyone with overheating laptops probably has either an AMD processor or has their Intel processor set wrong/without speedstep :p I've never had a speedstep CPU get extremely hot (except when doing heavy video processing etc., but even then it's not overheating) because when it's not doing much, it slows down so reduces heat generated. If you're going for a laptop, I'd recommend an Intel M or 4M processor purely because of this.

My laptop's currently acting as a network server/internet gateway :monster:

Actually its because the manufacturer put the CPU heat outlet vent on the bottom of the laptop, it was very odd.

And instead of getting a full size desktop why not get one of these super small computers:

<center>http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0052947_C0000103_P0000000.jpg</center>

and get it a small LCD screen? I'm sure your local computer shop would have one premade for cheap?

crono_logical
11-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Actually its because the manufacturer put the CPU heat outlet vent on the bottom of the laptop, it was very odd.That's also true, that doesn't help either for some laptop models. But it's better if you can prevent it getting so hot so requiring so much ventilation in the first place :p

Female Ryuichi
11-21-2004, 04:44 PM
You said you wanted to use it around your house, if you want to do that, get a laptop.

However, they break easily (like my brother's), you get less for your money, and they make your lap really warm.

Leeza
11-21-2004, 05:18 PM
And instead of getting a full size desktop why not get one of these super small computers:

<center>http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0052947_C0000103_P0000000.jpg</center>

and get it a small LCD screen? I'm sure your local computer shop would have one premade for cheap?
Spreadsheets are hard enough to work with on a 15 inch monitor. I don't think I need anything smaller than that. :) I will also only be getting a Dell because I'm happy with the Dell that I have now and their service is excellent.

<i>If you want something slim and portable...try a small hardrive and a flatscreen. I think Dell sells a hardrive that's the size of a DVD case.</i> - Dingo Jellybean

I would be getting their smallest hardrive with a flatscreen if that's the route I'd go, but I still would have the problem of having to set it up somewhere permanently so it will more than likely end up in a very inconvenient spot and that's my problem.

<i>If you're going for a laptop, I'd recommend an Intel M or 4M processor purely because of this.</i> - Farah

Would Intel M also be known as the Intel Pentium M Processor? It's supposed to have extended battery life, but it's only a 1.6 GHz.

NM
11-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Would Intel M also be known as the Intel Pentium M Processor? It's supposed to have extended battery life, but it's only a 1.6 GHz.

It's probley a Centrino. Intels mobile cpu's. They run slower in clock speed but still have alot of power. Abit like AMD XP chip's have a slower clock speed than P4's but are still as powerful.

SetsuntaMew
11-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Laptop. I can't speak for PC laptops because mine is a mac, but I love laptops in general. I love being able to sit anywhere in my house and use it. For instance, I'm on my bed now. If I get bored sitting here, I can move. It takes up practically no space, which is great. So yeah. I like laptops.

escobert
11-22-2004, 12:15 AM
AMD > all