PDA

View Full Version : hihi I need help setting up php forum

Peegee
11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
I want to set it up locally so I can have all the files set up before I 'launch' it. That way if and when I decide to pay for hosting, I won't waste time figuring out what to do.

SO I decided to go with phpBB (and if there's another free msg board 'program' to get that's better tell me). I installed php on my machine, loaded the files, and opened the webpage (php embedded in an index file) -- I see the contents of the php file instead of the forum.

What's the matter?

Samuraid
11-23-2004, 09:44 AM
What server software are you using? (IIS or Apache or what?) The PHP 4.3.x windows binaries should have an option to automatically configure IIS with PHP as an ISAPI filter.

If you are running linux, you will have to compile PHP with apsx2 to use it with apache.

As for choice of message forums...phpBB is bascially the best you can get for a free message forum.

Post what software you are using and what PHP version and that will help anyone figure out what might be wrong. :)

Peegee
11-23-2004, 09:47 AM
I actually use Tinyweb (http://www.ritlabs.com/tinyweb/), but I can change it to apache if you teach me how...

Dr Unne
11-23-2004, 06:07 PM
There are Apache installer executables that come with PHP pre-built and pre-configured. I'd say find one of those.

Samuraid
11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah, especially if you are going to be eventually moving to another server (and a lot of Linux servers run Apache) you will want server software that is very similar to what you will be using eventually.

Dr Unne
11-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Better yet install Gentoo and type emerge apache and be done with it. Better yet still, install Gentoo and type emerge phpbb and be completely done with it.

crono_logical
11-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Though you'll have to type it phpBB since it's case sensitive, plus it's currently masked in portage so you have to add extra gunf like ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" or something - I don't remember since I haven't emerged masked stuff in a while :p