PDA

View Full Version : Where the name "Final Fantasy" came from

Odaisé Gaelach
11-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Taken from the Internation Movie Database (IMDb) about Fûinaru Fuantajî - Final Fantasy (1987):

Hironobu Sakaguchi called his game "Final Fantasy" because he intended it to be his last game before leaving the industry.

Weird, isn't it? He intended to quit in 1987, but he's still working on the series now in 2004.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207484/trivia

Ryth
11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
It is? I thought it wa because if this game bombed it would be their final game or Final Fantasy whatever and the company would go bankrupt. Well isn't that interesting?

Shoeberto
11-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I've known about this for...quite some time. Square, as a company, was a flop at that time. They had no real big hits. Then FF came out, they found their niche, and have been cranking out RPGs ever since.

Ryth
11-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Many many RPG sequels but unlike some companys (cough) :Capcom: (cough (cough) the sequels don't follow the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule they change things for a fresh experience still keeping the turn based battles but changing the skill system some were flops like FFVIII's junction system.

Note I have no real problem with Capcom it's just I wish their sequels are the same as the last game like Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, everything they make.

Baloki
11-23-2004, 09:39 PM
some were flops like FFVIII's junction system.

Not really, it wasn't that complicated if you didn't just skip the explanation screen and it made for some really interesting character combos and allowed you to boost the characters who you hadn't had a chance to train up properly, quite handy really.

Brian The Pink Shark
11-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I quite like the junction system, and er this should really be in the general final fantasy forum, get over here cid's knights :choc:

Psychotic
11-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I quite like the junction system, and er this should really be in the general final fantasy forum, get over here cid's knights :choc:

Squinn's Philosophies on life:
1.If you imagine something it is really there

Imagine it's in the General Final Fantasy forum. *imagines he has a giant pancake* Heeeeeey, it worked! Oh wait...that's just my computer keyboard. Easy mistake to make.

But anyway, if Sakaguchi said he was going to quit in 1987 and didn't, he's a liar! I feel so betrayed! :whimper:

Jolts
11-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Hironobu Sakaguchi called his game "Final Fantasy" because he intended it to be his last game before leaving the industry.
Yeah, he intended that because he didn't think Final Fantasy would pull through (just like Sephiroth. said). Especially since, at the time, not too many people in the states were really into role playing video games.

FFanatic Of FFantasy
11-25-2004, 12:26 AM
BUT imagine if he didn't decided to make "Final Fantasy" and ..........uh..shall we say became a politician (SHIVER) :mad2 WE would not look at RPG from how we look at it today! Thanks Hironobu for contributing to this website and creating FF X WOO HOO! ;) :)

One winged angel of death
11-25-2004, 09:23 PM
final fantasy was named "final fantasy" because the game company was going bank rupt because of their games that sucked. so someone said "let's do it, let's put all our last bits of money and effort into makeing a last game together."(not exact words but well) so they did so nameing it final fantasy because they thought it would be their last game but then it became a huge hit and they made a huge ammount of money to stay open and that's the origin of final fantasy. *sniff* sounds almost like a fairy tale. (i'm so bad at telling stories about the past)

kirstie
11-30-2004, 06:46 AM
cool, never knew that, maybe he didn't think it was going to get that popular

Mo-Nercy
12-02-2004, 09:47 PM
A lot of people are aware of that fact. Personally, I didn't learn about it until I watched "Beyond Final Fantasy" the free DVD that came with the PAL version of FFX we got in Australia.

DJZen
12-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Why does there have to be a new thread about this every month? Can't we just sticky one?