PDA

View Full Version : Why the heck do people call Final Fantisy VII a good game!?

Gregoriev
11-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Seriously, i have NO IDEA!!! What do you people see in this game!?

Visual rating: 3/10
all i saw were some pretty backgrounds, and characters that look like they were the greatest 3d acheivements on a damn SNES! The CG looks great, the models look just like syphon filter 3, except syphon filter did not have as a nice texturing, but then again this is CG, not the actual game models you play with. THOSE are a damn joke! they are boxy, the dude with the huge sword..well, his hands, seem slightly separate from his body, the sword twirl gets old after the first three battles you win, the enemies are stupid looking, and the attacks are worse! THe most laughable thing is when they try and add actual facial expressions to these people, OMG that is just so funny because they do it so badly!

Sound: 2/10
They have 5 tracks, each song about 3-4 minutes in length, and i swear, if i didn't turn off the sound and put on my favorite radio station i would go INSANE!!! a damn game that has nice CG cut scenes and spans 3 freaken disks should not have mysic that sucks so badly. and don't give my any BS that you are supposed to play the game with no sound and the radio on, the sound is supposed to help emerse you in the experience, not water it down!

Gameplay: 1/10
OH wow...it's just horrible, and i have played some bad turn based games (anyone remember pokemon?). the random battles are annoying, especially if you have a 10:00 time limit before you bomb goes off. at least turn that damn fearure off during that one part!!! DAMN!!! as if that weren't bad enough, the controls are both clunky and bad. on screen you character wanders around, and you get lost easily becuase the background is drawn so well you have no freaken clue what is an exit, and what isn't. and if your charcter is not being hung up on an invisible wall, or box, or...air, then we would have slightly less of a problem. in battle, using hte same repedative attacks so early in the game is just not right. sword guy uses bolt, black dude using gatling gun, and everyone wins no matter what. the largest ammount of strategy is knowing when to use elixer and potion. wow...so hard...the ps1 is capable of so much more....

Story: ? (it's gonna be low)/10
What is the story? i know that like 40 minutes into a game like this you should know a bit more than you do, and on top of that, what is with the text boxes? i have seen what the ps1 can do, and guess what!? it supports VOICE!!! some voice and subtitles would have gone a long way in helping me give a damn about reactors sapping away the planets magical energy or life fore or whatever. as far as "character building" goes...i have no seen any. and to think, i thought i was going to get something good when i read so many rave reviews. i want to get into final fantasy, i really do, but clearly VII is NOT the game for me.

OVERALL SCORE: 3/10
Why do they like it so much? how could this game have made final fantasy go mainstream and become a masterpiece for the ps1 that like everyone who has ever liked turn based RPG/stragety should own? the graphics suck, the sound is worse, the gameplay is horrible, and i am doubtful anyone really cares about the plot, or cannot stand the first three to the extent they play through enough to start giving a damn.

so plese, fanatical fans of this board, just tell me, why? be civilized about it, i have written like 5 paragraphs from the heart about why this is not a good game, and why it should have never made FF so popular. but now you, the people who like it, tell me why you think i am wrong, or better yet, people who hate it tell me why i am right. or find some possiton between the two. but just tell me why....

Trumpet Thief
11-24-2004, 04:11 AM
chaos: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so now, I am merely stating mine.

Rubedo: One, visuals are NOT a big deal. Gameplay, etc. come way ahead of it, as thought the same way with the earlier Final Fantasies.

Trowa: *Sits and stares* Two... 5 tracks? I'm VERY sure you are mistaken there, and personally, I found the music great, although Aerith's theme a bit repetitive, although "One Winged Angel" greatly made up for that.

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally* Three, there was a lot more to the story, and there a lot of games on the ps1 that do not have voices. You shouldn't take that out on FFVII. The whole game wasn't about blowing up reactors either... and no character building? It seems as though you detested this game since you started, as you haven't been paying too much attention from what I've seen..

Rubedo: There are many other turn based games. I doubt this is the category for you if you don't like them that much, and seeing as you gave gameplay such a low rating, and that was because you either got lost because of the visuals, which you get used to later on.

Gregoriev
11-24-2004, 04:23 AM
okay, so i may have been exagerating when i said there were like 5 themese, i agree there, i bet it all changes from cd to cd as well, but it was annoying, i guess i just don't have the taste for this music. i will also hve to look out for the 1 good track you mentioned.

now, voice may not be much to you, and i personally was able all the same to get into the plot i could get within 40 minutes, but voice helps you identify with your character, make you feel like you can relate to their situation, and actually care about what happens to them. good plot is needed too, and i am positive this game has a good one. the rating was not based on the plot itself, but mainly by how long it took you to find out enough to even begin to get into it. if it takes too long it turns off begining gamers. you see where my marketing type thought line is coming from?

you are not supposed to "get used" to anything when it comes to a game. innovative controls that enhance gameplay, maybe (Steel Batallion), but visualsthat serve to confuse you more than actually help you find your way, umm...no. you can mess with alot of things when it comes to the "getting used to" department, but visuals are NOT one of them.

as to wether or not i detesed the game from before i started, well, i have to say you have a small point there. i was never a big fan of turn based games based on leveling. i try though, that's why i got FFVII a few days ago. it was supposed to be the best of the best for PS1, so said everyone i knew who was into this kind of game. (i don't own a PS2 yet, so don't even start)

Trumpet Thief
11-24-2004, 04:28 AM
chaos: Ah, I understand about voices. I started off with Famicom, so I never actually needed them. If there were good voice actors, I'd be okay, although, sometimes, dubbing would be horrible. Starting off with voiced games, then going backwards isn't any fun at all.

Rubedo: And for some gamers, it is hard to get into it. Personally, I found it easy, but to each their own. The story line gets way better later on, and I never liked it much in the beginning anyways. After the first half of the first disc, things started getting better in my opinion.

Shoeberto
11-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Okay. Um. A few flaws with what you're saying.

First off, graphics. This game came out in '97. You have to take into consideration the dating. Back then, it was amazing.

Music. There's a lot more music than what you're saying. It does loop a lot, but there's not much that happens in the beginning - you have to progress.

Story? You've played 40 minutes. You haven't even gotten out of Midgar yet. You haven't even scratched the surface yet, trust me.

Gameplay? Well, if you don't like it, you don't like it. RPGs aren't for everyone. I find mindless level grinding to be annoying, which is what turns me off of most RPGs. Most of the FFs dumb it down a bit, but if you don't like it, than that's it.

LunarWeaver
11-24-2004, 05:46 AM
It sounds to me like you are describing someone who hates everything that an RPG is. That's fine if that's the case, RPGs aren't for everyone and this type of game might just not be fun for you.

=Angelus=
11-24-2004, 06:05 AM
*shrug* i think theres a button you can press to pin-point the exits(with a red triangle) and your character location(with a finger-looking thingy) this particular feature kinda helps me when i'm totally lost =P (it happens sometimes k??) and well.. FFVII was the thing that gotten things rolling, so without it, there won't be such a thing as FFX or FFX-2 (*cringes in fear*) so i guess we owe it some credit ya? yup, i'll keep FFVII just to see my favourite characters save the world again, or maybe to see cloud in a dress

LunarWeaver
11-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Now Angelus don't go saying things like X and X-2 not existing, are you trying to give me nightmares? O_o*

Mo-Nercy
11-24-2004, 08:16 AM
all i saw were some pretty backgrounds, and characters that look like they were the greatest 3d acheivements on a damn SNES! The CG looks great, the models look just like syphon filter 3, except syphon filter did not have as a nice texturing, but then again this is CG, not the actual game models you play with. THOSE are a damn joke! they are boxy, the dude with the huge sword..well, his hands, seem slightly separate from his body, the sword twirl gets old after the first three battles you win, the enemies are stupid looking, and the attacks are worse! THe most laughable thing is when they try and add actual facial expressions to these people, OMG that is just so funny because they do it so badly!
Did you know that Pacman's graphics are HORRENDOUS because Syphon Filter 3 looks so much more realistic.

Final Fantasy VII was made in 1997. It was the best you could get back then. Take into account that Squaresoft was not TRYING to make the perfect human shape. Prior to FF7, the characters were represented as short and chibi-ish in all Square games. They tried to do it again in 3D and the effect worked out nicely.

They have 5 tracks, each song about 3-4 minutes in length, and i swear, if i didn't turn off the sound and put on my favorite radio station i would go INSANE!!! a damn game that has nice CG cut scenes and spans 3 freaken disks should not have mysic that sucks so badly. and don't give my any BS that you are supposed to play the game with no sound and the radio on, the sound is supposed to help emerse you in the experience, not water it down!
Nobou Uematsu is hailed to be the genius of video game music composition. It's nice of you to disagree but millions upon millions of people across the world including his employers of around 15 years can't be wrong. How long do you expect a song to be exactly? 3-4 minutes is normal last time I checked. Also FF7 has about 40+ tracks, you should pay more attention.

OH wow...it's just horrible, and i have played some bad turn based games (anyone remember pokemon?). the random battles are annoying, especially if you have a 10:00 time limit before you bomb goes off. at least turn that damn fearure off during that one part!!! DAMN!!! as if that weren't bad enough, the controls are both clunky and bad. on screen you character wanders around, and you get lost easily becuase the background is drawn so well you have no freaken clue what is an exit, and what isn't. and if your charcter is not being hung up on an invisible wall, or box, or...air, then we would have slightly less of a problem. in battle, using hte same repedative attacks so early in the game is just not right. sword guy uses bolt, black dude using gatling gun, and everyone wins no matter what. the largest ammount of strategy is knowing when to use elixer and potion. wow...so hard...the ps1 is capable of so much more....
You must really suck to not be able to get out of the reactor in 10 minutes. You must also have not played an RPG in your life. "Random battles are annoying. I wish I could turn those off." If you're having trouble recognising the door, press Select to get a little arrow to show up and guide you. You haven't play much of Final Fantasy VII have you? Of course the beginning of the game is easy. It's the friggin' beginning of the game! Good luck beating Emerald or Ruby Weapon by casting Bolt and shooting at them.

What is the story? i know that like 40 minutes into a game like this you should know a bit more than you do, and on top of that, what is with the text boxes? i have seen what the ps1 can do, and guess what!? it supports VOICE!!! some voice and subtitles would have gone a long way in helping me give a damn about reactors sapping away the planets magical energy or life fore or whatever. as far as "character building" goes...i have no seen any. and to think, i thought i was going to get something good when i read so many rave reviews. i want to get into final fantasy, i really do, but clearly VII is NOT the game for me.
Do you not know how long an RPG takes to complete. 30+ hours for Final Fantasy VII. Don't come on here and start bagging out a game until you've played more than one sixtieth of it. RPGs conventionally use text boxs. That's how you KNOW it's an RPG. Yes, we know the PS is capable of utilising voice overs but then it wouldn't be "role playing" now would it? It'd be some guy that's not you talking in a voice that's not yours. The character building doesn't really begin until later, when you get more materia, more characters etc. At that point, you can really make each and every character whatever you want him/her to be. I agree, Final Fantasy VII is not the game for you. That is, until you actually begin to play it.[/QUOTE]

Why do they like it so much? how could this game have made final fantasy go mainstream and become a masterpiece for the ps1 that like everyone who has ever liked turn based RPG/stragety should own? the graphics suck, the sound is worse, the gameplay is horrible, and i am doubtful anyone really cares about the plot, or cannot stand the first three to the extent they play through enough to start giving a damn.

so plese, fanatical fans of this board, just tell me, why? be civilized about it, i have written like 5 paragraphs from the heart about why this is not a good game, and why it should have never made FF so popular. but now you, the people who like it, tell me why you think i am wrong, or better yet, people who hate it tell me why i am right. or find some possiton between the two. but just tell me why....
Good luck finding someone who hates FF7. A lot of people play RPGs for the storyline and plot. It's the most important factor for most of us. This is what made FF popular. Final Fantasy VII is an awesome game but please, PLAY MORE THAN 40 MINUTES! Instead of speeding through the text, try reading it and getting into the game which is what the term "Role Playing Game" insinuates and you'll find it's a really deep game. The story goes through more plot twists than a badger stuck in a plot twisting machine.

Sorry if that was a little harsh on you. But basically what you've done is disciminate against a game before even lifting the controller.

ill-fated-life
11-24-2004, 08:24 AM
-gives a standing ovation for NoMercy-

xXFiReXx
11-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Stop spamming ~Matty

Auronhart
11-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Yeah, you shouldn't judge a game by the first 40 minutes. However I think that relatively to 8 and 10, 7 is quite a bit over hyped. Oh well, it still has some strong points. (as do all FF's) By the way, Nobuo's music rules. (2/10 yeah right) Yeah, in general, play at least the entire game before making a review of it. (it's common sense really)

edczxcvbnm
11-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Graphics
As everyone else has said, this is 1997. Syphon Filter 3 came out in 2000 or 2001. I would hope that it looks better than a 3 year old game. The repeative animations are you nit picking. It is like saying "I hate that after everyone round I win in a boxing game the character puts both arms up in the air and jump up and down". You are going to be winning over 200 battles easy in the game. They don't have 200 special animations for each character. Thats just pointless. Facial expressions had not really made it into many games(if any at all) in this point of time.

Sound
I can't do anything about you not liking the music.

Gameplay
Your background problem is your own fault. If you had read the instruction manual then you would know that hiiting select brings up an arrow over your character's head as well as arrows near exits so you don't get lost.

Damn near every game has repeative attacks at the beginning of the game because you are a new player and they are not going to throw the whole game at you. In warcraft or starcraft they don't start you out with everything. The first level is just learning how to build basic structures.

Story
No RPG on the PSX supported full voice. The ones that did support voices didn't have very many because it takes up so much room. Metal Gear Solid was 2 discs because everything was voice acted. The script is long but the script for one of these games has got to be longer when you account for side quests and everything. You are talking about a 8 disc game now.

You played like 1/28th of the way through the game if that. From what you described you beat the first boss and then turned the game off. RPGs, unlike most games, take a while to get into the meat of the story. 40 minutes of play time before you know a whole lot of anything in the story is not uncommon.

Conclusion
You have proven to me that you know next to nothing about gaming or what you are talking about.

FFVII is far from a great RPG. Its battle system makes the game way too easy and there is not much balance between the characters. The cinmea scenes go between blocky characters and more realistic ones at times. Make up your minds!

That is more of a valid arguement than everything you typed out. Your arguement equates to basically this mentatlity

"Most bogart films are crap becaues the picture is in black and white and not color"

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-24-2004, 08:49 AM
All my biting comments are taken already. Damn.

Flashback007
11-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Ok, luckly you have right on your own opinion, but I don't agree with you. I am going to take the same paragraphs as you to explain why.

Visual Rating:
Like already said the game was from 1997 and during that time those graphics were asome. Ofcourse if we look at the current games the graphics from FFVII would look very http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifty if it was made today. But that isn't so. And I can imagine if you look at all the current games at first you're very dissapointed, but if you get futher in the game you will learn to like them, I think.

Sound:
I can agree with you if you just left Midgar or still are in Midgar that you think: "That music again?". But as soon as you get to a certain point at the game you get some very good music: Those Chosen By The Planet, JENOVA etc. And ofcourse the legendary One Winged Angel. But then again if you don't like the music, it's gonna get hard to get over it. If for example you don't like the music played during the normal battles, well, that can be very annoying, but then do what you did turn on the radio or favorite cd. The music isn't nessary, although you will need sound for certain mini-games.

Gameplay:
Ok, I think if you don't like the gameplay, you're having a major problem, cause every FF has the same sort of gameplay. So, that can be a problem. But there is one but, the buttons aren't the same. Do the same as I did, grab your manuel from another FF-game and adjust immeddiatly in the beginning the buttons to the buttons that you're working with at the other games. And for the rest, yes, what I already said most of the gameplay in the FF's is the same. The leveling up stuff etc Only thing different is the Materia, but the Materia is actually good stuff, cause every charachter can use any kind of magic. And a tip: don't try to make one charachter a summoner or a healer, it will cost lot's of HP. Instead try to spread them a bit. Give at least every charachter an healing Materia and every charachter an summon-materia. Also a few command materia's and independent or support-materia's would be wrong. Also if you have problems with leveling up, try to go back to the world map and to the easier part, it will maybe take a while, but then you can go on playing without problems.

Story:
It's actually one of the best FF-stories. But it doesn't unwrap itself untill you left Midgar. And I can imagine that you're still in Midgar within the 40 minutes. As soon as you left Midgar the story will unfold itself and then it really begins. You will be suprised for certain plot twists and other things. And the textboxes, yeah, that's virtually the same problem as the gameplay, if you don't like the textboxes you're not going to like the rest of the FF-series on the PS1, especcialy not the older ones from the SNES etc. Every FF on the PS1 uses tectboxes, with exception of FFIX, it uses textballoons. But you cannot go around it. I think it's the same as with the graphics. The technic from 1997 wasn't that developed yet, to use voices for the game-charachters. It just used textballoons. An advantage from textballoons is that foreign people (like me) that doesn't understand English very well, or when people talk fast, you can read it in textballoons and you can let it stand there as long as you wish. I know you can use subtitles, but even subtitles are annoying when a conversation is very quick. So that's a big advantage from textblocks.

OVERALL:
I think overall it's one of the best FF-games in the history, not the best but second best. It has a great storyline, great charachters and great music, at least that's my opinion. The story really begins when you leave Midgar. Then the real game does begin. But it's really good. I hope you will understand your opinion, but I also understand yours, if you are used to other games, you will suprised in a negative way by FFVII. But give it a change and I hope you will like it.

Doomgaze
11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
It's not so much that it sucks, but it's definitely overrated. It's far from the best Final Fantasy, or even the best PSX Final Fantasy. I especially didn't fact that so little attention is drawn to the fact that you are TERRORISTS. Only Johnny and Rufus really mention it, as I recall, and Rufus is just looking for an excuse to off you on live TV.

I think Rufus and the Turks were great villains, though, and it's a shame they were wasted on such a crappy party. Cid's the only really good party member. Nanaki's ok, and Vincent or Yuffie could have been good if developed more. I'm still not sure on Cait Sith. Reeve is an interesting character, but his Cait Sith persona is rather annoying. Plus, why did he care so much about being crushed?

UltimaLimit
11-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Most of what I have to say has already been said. However, you have shown extraordinarily bad judgement on 2 fronts:

1) You play through the first mission (if that) and judge the entire game. You don't do your homework (do you not see the MP3 download section?) and you seem to be unfamiliar to RPGs in general and thus unfit to judge them.

2) You are in a site called Eyes On Final Fantasy, in the Final Fantasy VII forum. Did you honestly think you were going to get many people to agree with you?

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're drunk, but no drunk types that good. Please, get a clue.

Auronhart
11-25-2004, 05:46 AM
Did you know that Pacman's graphics are HORRENDOUS because Syphon Filter 3 looks so much more realistic.
LOL, I must have missed that when I read through the first time.:lol:

Storm
11-25-2004, 06:05 AM
I don't buy that statement "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion" all the time. There are some things that all people will agree is good, and all people will agree is bad.

For example, given a dinner featuring pizza and poop, everyone will agree that pizza is better.

If you are a true Final Fantasy fan, you simply cannot call FFVII a bad game. FFVII is a work of art, and people who don't think so are stupid, and according to Gene Ray, that also means they are evil and will eventually resort to cannibalism. :D

Doomgaze
11-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Some of us merely enjoy the series, rather than suckling at SquareEnix's teat. And, really, FF7 did NOT age well.

Trumpet Thief
11-25-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't buy that statement "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion" all the time. There are some things that all people will agree is good, and all people will agree is bad.

For example, given a dinner featuring pizza and poop, everyone will agree that pizza is better.

If you are a true Final Fantasy fan, you simply cannot call FFVII a bad game. FFVII is a work of art, and people who don't think so are stupid, and according to Gene Ray, that also means they are evil and will eventually resort to cannibalism. :D

chaos: It is possible to dislike FFVII, or at least some merits of it, and that doesn't mean you are evil, or anything.

Rubedo: Personally, I find FFVI completely smacking this game in the face- it's way better.

Remnant
11-25-2004, 04:03 PM
It would seem I have been save the trouble of actually responding, and am able to say with full confidence,

"What Mo-Nercy said."

Especially the part about hitting select to highlight the exits on the screen! Drawn backgrounds are a slowly dying art. Quality work should be appreciated, not dumbed down.

But ESPECIALLY the part about... every other thing you said. I get the impression that you would think FFVI was awful because it uses sprites. Or Kung-Fu was a bad show because the fight scenes were not in computer enhanced bullet time. Or that novels in general are awfule because they are all text bubbles, with too few pictures.

One winged angel of death
11-25-2004, 06:35 PM
because ff7 has one of the best video game plots by far..halo is behind it by one vote probably...

Ezme
11-25-2004, 06:52 PM
I don't think FFVII is THAT bad BUT it isn't as good as everyone goes on. I completed it and all but.......meh.....its alright. The backgounds are anoying in not seeing exits very well but you do have the lil red triangles on pessing select (i think). Everyone goes on and on about how great it is. Ok it is better than VIII, but i really like 6,9 and 10. I dont think i'll play 7 again where as i've completed 9 twice and am about to complete 10 again and i'll probs play 6 if i dont get a hold of X-2. But oh well, this is just my humble opinion.

DJZen
11-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Kids today..... Sheeeeeeeeesh........

bEoWuLfX
11-30-2004, 01:32 AM
okay so like I kinda agree and disagree. Firstly FF7 is way hyped up and to be honest, there are better games out there. Secondly there is a reason behind it's hyped upness, the game despite it's flaws is very good. It's still quaint and very cutesy and if you decide to stop complaining about the 10 minute time limit and start using the select button to navigate maybe then you could enjoy it for what it's truly worth, more than your life, you idiot! Just kidding, give it a chance instead of judging it by it's first impression.

=Angelus=
11-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Now Angelus don't go saying things like X and X-2 not existing, are you trying to give me nightmares? O_o*

Sorry!! there there... Happy thoughts now!! we all know that FFX and X-2 are as real as can be, so theres no reason to be afraid!

hmm.. i've just been wondering.. if 10minutes is a problem to run from the reactor... i would like to ask a question... "Were you pressing X while moving to run?" this seems to be the most possible explanation. Cuz FFVII had some parts where running and walking made a big difference (like in that Cave of Gi? with that slippery floor and spikes on walls) whereas the later FFs took it out...

Hope you can enjoy your game better now Gregoriev.. hey, it might be a little tough, but we can help you get through it. And i have a feeling this thread would never end until you have tried again and given us some feedback :P

Gud Luck!

DJZen
12-01-2004, 04:01 AM
My first attempt to run away from the reactor I got out with 3 minutes to spare, and I had been looking around for hidden treasure the whole time, so if you can't make it out, just stop looking for hidden treasure.

Trumpet Thief
12-01-2004, 04:04 AM

chaos: To me, that would be more a dream, than a nightmare :D

escobert
12-01-2004, 05:21 AM
I agree. :D

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-01-2004, 08:08 AM
You have nerve....though you are entitled to your opinion you have nerve....

I seriously cant believe you gave a story below 10 compare the most recent FF's im seriously surprised...

Graphics yea look at the context in retrospect....it was made in '97 to this day id rather take a game with bad graphics and a great story anyday...getting the most perfect graphics today is more focused on the actual story itself....yea the story of recent ff's were ok but 7 had so much layers (story wise) it had everything from emotional moments to psychologic elements....to damn right funny that were sometimes annoying (thinks of yuffie and Wutai)....Your statement about your doubts about people caring for the plot is downright laughable

the environments were mad/awesome/beautiful it made me realise how close this game was to reality yet it still had that fantasy feel....
No offense but 10 mins was more than enough time to get out of the reactor

music was perfect...appropriate in every event of the game....what are u comparing it too...the popy sounds of FFX-2....please its hard to take that game seriously these days....

It even raised the bar for the next game ff8 which was great...

mate i can go on....

Point= this game was friggen awesome and totally deserved all the praise it gets!

I'd like to hear your fav ff man!?

razor248725
12-01-2004, 01:53 PM
k. since im too lazy to read other peoples posts ill just.....yeah.
yes the graphics are pretty bad but c'mon ffVII came out 7 years ago!
music:uhh......dude u have only played 40 mins of it...this game takes more than 40 hours to beat, how could have u possibly heard all the songs and say there is like 5. there are heaps of songs in ffVII the quality of the songs isnt that good the actual tunes are very good. gameplay is actually quite good and u will have absolutly no idea what its like considering u have only played 40 mins of it. adn the story? u cannot, i repeat, u cannot judge ffVII's story by playing a mere 40 mins of it. even if u beat teh game and still give the story a low score that will be alot better because u know the whole story not just 100th of it.

ok put simply: dont judge ffVII by playing 40 mins of it, finish it THEN do a review on it and u will find that it is alot better than u originally thought. even i thougth ffVII was gonna be crap at first but i gave it a chance and wen i beat it i was surprisinly satisfied by what i had played.

so the moral of this is dont judge a book by its cover. lol.

EDIT: lol at ed's post u know how to bring em down (wtf am i talking about?!) :freak:

Halenite
12-01-2004, 05:38 PM

First off, Visuals... like several people said, for the time this came out, they were damn good.

Sound: i did read that you exaggerated on the track thing. Yes some of the theme's got annoying after a while (i.e. Aeris's theme), but other than that I see no problem with the sound.

Gameplay, you had trouble escaping the reactor? most of those enemies are on hit kills. but, anyway, the story gets much more involved as you get further.

See my gameplay stuff about the story getting much more involved.

Besides, if you don't like the game, don't come to this thread.

DMKA
12-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Kids today..... Sheeeeeeeeesh........
:love: :p

As for the creator of this thread...you are a complete liar, and a horrendous analyzer. You represent all of the things I can't stand in this world. Please go outside and walk into oncoming traffic now so your mommy will have to pay the insurance on the Mercedes that was forced to swerve out of your way and crash into the light pole on the corner next to AM PM and then when you get home she take away all your video games for a week. :mad2:

SeanWY
12-02-2004, 11:23 PM
wow

DJZen
12-03-2004, 05:48 AM
:love: :p

As for the creator of this thread...you are a complete liar, and a horrendous analyzer. You represent all of the things I can't stand in this world. Please go outside and walk into oncoming traffic now so your mommy will have to pay the insurance on the Mercedes that was forced to swerve out of your way and crash into the light pole on the corner next to AM PM and then when you get home she take away all your video games for a week. :mad2:

somebody needs a cigarette.....

I honestly don't have beef with this dude hating on this game, he just did it in such a way that showed he disliked the game before he even played it. I mean, yes, you SHOULD be able to judge a game by the first 40 minutes of play. The initial parts of a game really need to sink its hooks into your brain or you'll have no desire to continue playing to the end. This reminds me of a tip I got about essays in English class: always start with a hook, give your reader a reason to give a damn with what you're about to say. However, the first 40 minutes of FF7 are actually really fun. It's a shame that the graphics have aged so poorly though. Modern gamers are so into eye candy it can put a bad taste in their mouths.

DMKA
12-03-2004, 06:16 AM
somebody needs a cigarette.....
I don't smoke...the dude in my avatar does though.

I honestly don't have beef with this dude hating on this game, he just did it in such a way that showed he disliked the game before he even played it.
Exactly.

Yuffie514
12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
sometimes the games are not always about the looks, you know. there's storylines and characters too.

Fayth
12-03-2004, 05:59 PM
OOoo i was getting pissed while reading this guy's horrible excuse for a review! I would like to know how this guy feels now...he seems to have disappeared because he got burned so badly. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but he could have told his friends that; not an entire FF fanbase. He obviously didn't listen to his friends who recommended the game, and i have no idea what he was thinking when he came to this site expecting a "FINAL FANTASY VII MESSAGE BOARD" to back up his claim. Regardless of whether people like FFVI better, or like FFX better, Final Fantasy VII is still a Final Fantasy and Square rarely ceases to satisfy FF fans. That's the point of this site: for the fans. So coming to a fan's website with the review he chose to share with us was complete suicide. And you can tell he's never played a FF before; he mispelled "fantisy."

Alain
12-03-2004, 07:01 PM
When i had played about an hour(back in2000) i thought-what the hell i have bought,but soon as the story expand i couldnt nor eat or sleep anymore :)
Its an brilliant game.
And your so called rewiew its total crap(man should play the came trouhg first,then deside if it was good or not).

DJZen
12-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Formative impressions are also important. I thought the first scenario in FFVII was VERY intruiging. "Okay, we're gonna blow up a power plant!" What? Blow up power plant? Just show me the way! Then there's a huge explosion. Unfortunately, FFVII also attracted people who want violent, action packed adrenaline rush games. FFVII is a FF game, putting it closer to chess than whack-a-mole. Not everyone wants a game where you attack by selecting "attack". Tecmo released a soccer game that played almost exactly like Dragon Warrior, and you know what? IT WAS A COMMERCIAL FAILURE. Was it a bad game? No, but people didn't want to shoot by selecting "shoot", they wanted to kick the ball and watch it go flying. FFVII presents you with a guy with an enormous sword, and a man with a gun attacked to his arm, yet the fights are still fairly passive when compared to, say, Doom. Instead of reflexes, your best asset is strategy. Instead of aiming a shot, you just hit "attack" and hope the stats are in your favor. Unfortunately, a lot of RPGs seem to be catering more and more to the people who want action games. Are action games bad? No, but it leads to RPGs feeling less inspired and like they're trying to do too many things at once.

Del Murder
12-04-2004, 08:06 AM
DMKA, that post wasn't necessary. Share your opinion or your distaste for his, but do it without being insulting.

I think FFVII was great, but I can accept if someone else doesn't like it. If you don't have time to play through the whole thing then that's fine, but if you want a really good glimpse of the story you should at least get out of Midgar first. Some things have to grow on you.

Necronopticous
12-04-2004, 04:39 PM
No dude, you are totally wrong FFVII is Da Bomb Yo!

Halenite
12-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Have any of you noticed that Gregoriev has stopped posting here at the end of last month? I think he left.

Bahamut
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Sorry, but the starter of this topic is now on my kill list.
I cant believe they said that. i cant believe they expected peeps to agree! :mad: :mad2:

Trumpet Thief
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Sorry, but the starter of this topic is now on my kill list.
I cant believe they said that. i cant believe they expected peeps to agree! :mad: :mad2:

chaos: It was his own opinion. Whether you like it or not, don't go saying things like that.

Halenite
12-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Bahamut, chill, I think he left anyway so there's no more point in worrying about it.

Fantasy_Dragon
12-04-2004, 08:14 PM
People have their own opinions.
It was an early PS1 game...(sort of)
May I remind you that it already had 3 discs? If it had voices, then it would have like...6...whatever.

I have never played the game, so I can't really say anything else about it, but those are somethings to help...er..."understand"???

Raistlin
12-04-2004, 10:24 PM
*doesn't read the vast majority of the thread*

The game was made in '97. Yeah.

Some of the music that you hear over and over again(chocobos, anyone?) can get monotonous, but for the most part, the music was very well done. For Aeris's death scene and pretty much every scene with Sephiroth, I thought the music really helped "get into the moment."

OH wow...it's just horrible, and i have played some bad turn based games (anyone remember pokemon?). the random battles are annoying, especially if you have a 10:00 time limit before you bomb goes off. at least turn that damn fearure off during that one part!!!
There's a time limit on...two parts of the actual story? And it gives you such an absurdly long amount of time that unless you're a complete idiot you won't run out.

DAMN!!! as if that weren't bad enough, the controls are both clunky and bad. on screen you character wanders around, and you get lost easily becuase the background is drawn so well you have no freaken clue what is an exit,
Press Select. Exits are then clearly marked with arrows.

in battle, using hte same repedative attacks so early in the game is just not right. sword guy uses bolt, black dude using gatling gun, and everyone wins no matter what. the largest ammount of strategy is knowing when to use elixer and potion. wow...so hard...the ps1 is capable of so much more...
Um...I don't know what games you've been playing, but in every single turn-based RPG I've ever played, you are forced to use similar attacks in the beginning. And it was made easy for newbies who complain about only being given 10 minutes to escape the first Reactor.
And who uses an Elixir with a Potion?

What is the story? i know that like 40 minutes into a game like this you should know a bit more than you do, and on top of that, what is with the text boxes? i have seen what the ps1 can do, and guess what!? it supports VOICE!!!
I don't know what to say to that. That's just...wrong. Why the hell would you want voice-acting, since it so obviously sucked in FFX? The ONLY RPG to nail voice-acting is Lunar SSSC(well, and its sequel).

some voice and subtitles would have gone a long way in helping me give a damn about reactors sapping away the planets magical energy or life fore or whatever.
You don't play many RPGs, do you?

as far as "character building" goes...i have no seen any. and to think, i thought i was going to get something good when i read so many rave reviews. i want to get into final fantasy, i really do, but clearly VII is NOT the game for me.
Obviously, since apparently you've never played an RPG before.

I am stupider for having read all that.

Cleric
12-05-2004, 01:27 AM

Wow.......this thread makes me sad. But in regards to the gameplay getting a 1/10 you must be joking. You say there is no strategy involved in beating this game???? Try actually playing through it and defeating bosses like Demons Gate, Lost Number, and ohh yea, don't forget Ruby and Emerald WEAPON SO with that said i believe you should bow your head in shame now.....j/k

DarKye-
12-05-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm not gonna reply to the initial post since it's been done a lot. Instead I will give my view on it - With too many obvious details perhaps. >>;

Final Fantasy VII marked a Before & After in the Final Fantasy story, it was the first one to include FMVs, the first one to use 3d rendered graphics, the first to include a main character with self-inflicted psychological problems and the first one a lot of people played.
It was a big jump from FFVI, system-wise and maturity-wise. Although FFVI contained a good message to think about (Kefka infamous words, "Why do people rebuild things they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?); FFVII's raised the level with characters that had human problems, deaths, and an ambiguous ending that is open to your own interpretation.

So in my opinion, FFVII is a good game. Although it's overrated. Very overrated.

Doyle0073
12-05-2004, 05:34 PM
No offence Gregoriev, but I think u have lost it, I mean FF7 was the best thing to happen to the series, oh wait I bet u think that was FF8 , no way in hell does FF 7 deserve low of a score at all.

Trumpet Thief
12-05-2004, 05:45 PM
No offence Gregoriev, but I think u have lost it, I mean FF7 was the best thing to happen to the series, oh wait I bet u think that was FF8 , no way in hell does FF 7 deserve low of a score at all.

chaos: That is your opinion, but I doubt it was the best thing. For one, when I played it, I loved it, although I found it overhyped. I could never get into that "Cloud is so kool!" thing that was going on.

Rubedo: IMO, FFIV was the best thing to happen to FF, simply because graphics, music, and plot all went up a notch. FFVI as well, but, this is all just our opinion.

Blood Angel
12-05-2004, 05:57 PM
I think that FF7 is the best one, it defined all the 3D Final Fantasies. Defined! The music, gameplay and storyline were all excellent! The charcters' graphics were admittedly were not the best, but they were good for their time.

Auronhart
12-05-2004, 08:06 PM
That is your opinion, but I doubt it was the best thing. For one, when I played it, I loved it, although I found it overhyped. I could never get into that "Cloud is so kool!" thing that was going on.
Yeah, I agree with TT on this one. The only thing that annoys me about the review is that he played 40 minutes of it. Personally, I don't think that is really long enough to form a useful opinion.

DarknessFromAbove
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I agree that the graphics are bad, but I like the music, the characters, and the story line kicks ass! You cannot just play something for a few min and expect to know everything about it! I was the same way when I first started playing, but I played the game all the way through, and now I always make it a fact to finish every game, movie, and book I start befor judging it. It's only fair, right? And I'd like to see you make a better game than VII, or FFI for that matter. I know I can't because I suck at those kinds of things, but that's a differn't story. In conclusion, you should do your "homework" befor being so quick to judge.

Carnage
12-05-2004, 09:00 PM
you do know your a complete ass right?

DarknessFromAbove
12-05-2004, 09:19 PM
you do know your a complete ass right? Who?

Trumpet Thief
12-05-2004, 09:20 PM
chaosnotRSL: I believe he was talking to the creator of this thread.

chaosknight
12-05-2004, 09:22 PM
How dare you insult one of (if not) the best games of all time?! Do you not realize that FF7 was one of the few brave games willing to leave th foundations of 2D graphics and take a leap into the then unknown world of 3D graphics? Sure the graphics are a little out of date now, but they where second to none back in their day. And the gameplay and storyline are simply superub! I can still put the game in and be captivated for hours at a time with the indept storyline. I know people that cried during the legendary death of Aries.......
If all this fails to help you realize the greatness that is Final Fabtasy 7, then you should realize that Sephirath and his sick sword are way too cool to be ignored. :nonono:

Trumpet Thief
12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
chaos: *Sigh* He has probably already left, you know. Even though you hated some of the things he said, you hated his opinion, he actually listened when I said something. Perhaps you guys should stop being so ignorant as well.

Rubedo: For one, yes, FFVII was a good game, but if someone doesn't like it, that doesn't mean you should go kill someone, or hate the person for eternity. Hell, if you say that, that only makes me want to puke. IMO, although this game is good, it is very overhyped, wait, let me rephrase, SO OVERHYPED that someone, who I admit, was new to RPG's, and shouldnt've blamed FFVII for that, gets flamed by 50 + user's, all saying the same thing.

chaos: I enjoyed the battle for this game, although, I found Cloud a bit dull for my tastes, even if he had a reasoning. He became better afterwards. I hated how all that Tifa could say was "remember that day blah blah blah years ago?"

Rubedo: The graphics, even now, to me, are splendid, and in most games, they shouldn't even mean anything.

chaos: The music, although repetitive, was quite good, and brought quite emotional scenes etc.

*sigh*

Halenite
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Finally, someone else who noticed that he has left.

Gregoriev
12-07-2004, 02:28 AM
but yeah, still here guys. Been really busy with school and playing FFVII. After taking some people's advice, i decided to keep going with it. And it is not such a bad little game, more like a charlie brown christmas tree type of game in my opinion.

The music still sucks a bit, but the tracks have improved since i left that dumb reactor place. I still have to tune into my favorite radio stations during gameplay, but i listen in every half hour to 20 minutes for something cool.

Visuals...well, we all know i hate them. but you have to realize, even beta halo 1 in 1997 had better graphics. go look at the "evolution of halo" at www.fileshack.com. Also, i know PC and console graphics are alot different, but the ps1 is capable of alot more, just look at what it did compared to FFVII

Gameplay, well, with more progression comes more powerups. Did you think i didn't know that??? I may not be in love with FF, but i have played my fair share of them, KOTOR for example. but anyways, the attacks do seem to have gotten a little neater, but the visuals for them do still fall into the bad visuals area. As for playing itself, it's not half bad...although predictable still.

Character dev. and story: well, the story does seem to pick up after that reactor thing, i am not totally sure about what's going on...but yeah, it's all there. only real complaint is that they story didnt grab you and take you for a ride right from the get go. That is one of the best signs of a great story. If in vice city you were not attacked and your life was not on the line to get all your money and crack back, would you have gotten into it's plot as well? Hell, DOOM 3 had a more gripping plot in the begining. who here was not truly afraid of going down to that lab to get that scientist guy in the begining after hearing all the stories about ghosts and voices...with just a pistol. a damn pistol! it's a travesty! and then of course, all hell breaks loose (literally) and the "plot" advances from there. but still, right from the get go you really did care about the plot, or at least about not soiling yourself when you have some hell demon lurking in the shadows just out of sight and you are totally naked with...your trusty pistol.

so, in conclusion, i take back alot of the things i said from before. However, this game is still WAY to damn overrated. The visuals still suck, even if they are from 97, they still do and i would have thought the exact same thing in 97. The music is getting better, but i still prefer my radio. The plot is really great, i am too tired to give a summary and see no point in giving one to people who clearly have played this game in their sleep.

Visuals: Same as before
Music: 5/10 (Still have not heard the good music yet)
Gameplay: 7/10 (more variety is better, plus i get it now)
Story: 8/10 (only complaint is that it took too long to get started)

SeanWY
12-07-2004, 04:30 AM
C'mon, I hate how everyone likes this game when I know it's not as good as ff6,

But I don't try and complain when it's still a really well made game.

Raistlin
12-07-2004, 04:35 AM
The music still sucks a bit, but the tracks have improved since i left that dumb reactor place.
You mean you wrote that whole "review" without leaving the Reactor?

:lol:

bEoWuLfX
12-07-2004, 05:40 AM
:mog: how dare you complain about the game before leaving the reactor! Seriously, I don't think you have the right to rate it before beating it atleast half way. :mad: this is you now... :eek: and now this is me :lol: Yup.

feioncastor
12-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Here we go....

Final Fantasy was a huge franchise, even before this, so bringing the characters to a 3D life was a huge deal for us RPGers. They don't really have facial expressions, outside of FMV. The sword twirl is a cool finishing move, better than anything that they've come up with since then.

You are gravely mistaken. This game has an expansive soundtrack, and probably some of the most memorable musical pieces in video game history. Not as good as FF6's soundtrack, but no game is as good as FF6's soundtrack. How long did you play before you turned the sound off? Long enough to hear 5 songs, each song 3-4 minutes in length? If you had the sound turned up, you would've heard the other 20 or so songs in the game.

Really, the 10 minute time limit is at the very beginning of the game, as is the 'Sword guy' using bolt, and the black guy using the gatling gun. How much of this game did you actually play before you decided you didnt' like it. I played through all of FF8 before I told everyone that I hated it.

Regarding not finding the exit, you just have to push Select, and little arrows pop up that show you where everything is, even Cloud.

There are many MANY, PS1 games that do not have voice. In fact, there are far more that do not have voice than those that do. Final Fantasy IX was released for the PS1 without voice, a few years after FF7.

And besdies, whether there are text-boxes or voice doesn't fall under the catergory of story. Those would be gameplay issues. Story is strictly the storyline of the game. Like whether or not the game would make a good book or movie. And there's way more to it than reactors. You didn't play this game enough, obviously, or you'd know that the problem at hand is really not reactors. After about 5 hours of playing, you'll know that Shin-Ra, and the Mako Reactors really aren't the REAL enemy.

Why do they like it so much? how could this game have made final fantasy go mainstream and become a masterpiece for the ps1 that like everyone who has ever liked turn based RPG/stragety should own? the graphics suck, the sound is worse, the gameplay is horrible,
Because of all the stuff I just said above

and i am doubtful anyone really cares about the plot, or cannot stand the first three to the extent they play through enough to start giving a damn.

You are doubtful of this? Then I wonder why game reviewers all over the world give it good marks for its story. What is the story, by the way? Why don't you try to break it down for us all really quickly.

For one thing, this game is one single entry in the Final Fantasy Series. Final Fantasy IV and VI were both way better, so to judge all FF games based on FF7 is very unfair. Final Fantasy VII is an excellent game, and if you don't think so, that's fine. But know that many people do think so, and they'll continue thinking that way, so there must be some truth to it. Playing FF7 is a wonderful experience, and I hope someday you'll open up a bit, and enjoy all the entertainment this game has to offer.

Feion

EDIT: I just read your post and saw that you progressed a bit in the game, and I am very happy for you. You'll soon find yourself engrossed in one of the best games ever made. Really, the music does get a lot better, as does the story. Wait till you have been to a few more reactor things, and then lemme know what you think of the game.

Good luck! Oh, and if you ever get stuck in the game, be sure to ask for help rather than quitting because when you complete the game, you'll be friggin shocked as heck. Again, good luck man! Thanks for giving it a fair shot.

Ultima Shadow
12-07-2004, 08:38 PM
The music still sucks a bit, but the tracks have improved since i left that dumb reactor place. I still have to tune into my favorite radio stations during gameplay, but i listen in every half hour to 20 minutes for something cool.
The music will get better... don't worry. OWA kicks ass.

Visuals...well, we all know i hate them. but you have to realize, even beta halo 1 in 1997 had better graphics. go look at the "evolution of halo" at www.fileshack.com. Also, i know PC and console graphics are alot different, but the ps1 is capable of alot more, just look at what it did compared to FFVII
The FMVs are still beautifull... even though this game was made back in 1997. For its time they where supreme.

Gameplay, well, with more progression comes more powerups. Did you think i didn't know that??? I may not be in love with FF, but i have played my fair share of them, KOTOR for example. but anyways, the attacks do seem to have gotten a little neater, but the visuals for them do still fall into the bad visuals area. As for playing itself, it's not half bad...although predictable still.
Gameplay will improve alot in the later stages of the game...

Character dev. and story: well, the story does seem to pick up after that reactor thing, i am not totally sure about what's going on...but yeah, it's all there. only real complaint is that they story didnt grab you and take you for a ride right from the get go. That is one of the best signs of a great story. If in vice city you were not attacked and your life was not on the line to get all your money and crack back, would you have gotten into it's plot as well? Hell, DOOM 3 had a more gripping plot in the begining. who here was not truly afraid of going down to that lab to get that scientist guy in the begining after hearing all the stories about ghosts and voices...with just a pistol. a damn pistol! it's a travesty! and then of course, all hell breaks loose (literally) and the "plot" advances from there. but still, right from the get go you really did care about the plot, or at least about not soiling yourself when you have some hell demon lurking in the shadows just out of sight and you are totally naked with...your trusty pistol.
Trust me... you've not even experienced 2% of the whole amazing story yet. :p It have alot more to give.

so, in conclusion, i take back alot of the things i said from before. However, this game is still WAY to damn overrated. The visuals still suck, even if they are from 97, they still do and i would have thought the exact same thing in 97. The music is getting better, but i still prefer my radio. The plot is really great, i am too tired to give a summary and see no point in giving one to people who clearly have played this game in their sleep.

Visuals: Same as before
Music: 5/10 (Still have not heard the good music yet)
Gameplay: 7/10 (more variety is better, plus i get it now)
Story: 8/10 (only complaint is that it took too long to get started)
Well... you should NEVER rate a game when you've only played it for a few mins... or even hours.
Play trough the whole game and then rate it. Not the other way.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey Cheer up people now...lets acknowledge the fact that this person was man enough to take back what was said...

Cloud Strife fanatic
12-08-2004, 01:58 AM
If graphics are such a big f**king deal, then why did so many games like mario, fianal fantasy Ect. make soo much money! tell meeeeeeeee!!!
:chop:

DJZen
12-08-2004, 03:09 AM
How dare you insult one of (if not) the best games of all time?!

He's hardly the first.... Not everyone liked the game you know.

Do you not realize that FF7 was one of the few brave games willing to leave th foundations of 2D graphics and take a leap into the then unknown world of 3D graphics?

Yeah, 'cause in 1997 3D was SUCH a new thing that NOBODY else was doing :rolleyes2 I mean heck, it wasn't like some sort of concept that hadn't been tried before and might fail utterly. The PS1 was designed with 3D graphics in mind, and Sony has actually been pressuring companies for quite some time now to make only 3D based games. It's not so much bravery as it is fitting in.

Sure the graphics are a little out of date now, but they where second to none back in their day.

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.... Please....

If all this fails to help you realize the greatness that is Final Fabtasy 7, then you should realize that Sephirath and his sick sword are way too cool to be ignored. :nonono:

Heidegger is far cooler than this "Sephirath" and his "sick" sword :nonono:

bEoWuLfX
12-08-2004, 03:54 AM
that's kinda funny cause I thought Heidegger was kinda of a tool to the Shinra men. I mean he had some good stuff there, but I thought that Reeve was by far cooler, but I think the most sinister of the Shinra board members would have to be that crazy blonde chick or palmer. no one ever suspects the quiet ones.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-08-2004, 05:03 AM
My God DJZen is going to eat you alive for that comment. :D

feioncastor
12-08-2004, 05:07 AM
that's kinda funny cause I thought Heidegger was kinda of a tool to the Shinra men. I mean he had some good stuff there, but I thought that Reeve was by far cooler, but I think the most sinister of the Shinra board members would have to be that crazy blonde chick or palmer. no one ever suspects the quiet ones.
Scarlet = Crazy Blonde Chick

Heidegger is the most sinister. They all have their places. Hedeigger is in charge of the weapons and such. Reeve is in charge of urban development. Palmer is in charge of Space Exploration. And I've forgotten Scarlet's job.

Reeve is definitely the coolest. You know, he is Cait Sith. So he does like Cloud and the gang.

Feion

Gregoriev
12-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Don't any of you give me this load of BS that Final fantasy VII has such "awsome" graphics "second to none" and that "They were the first to bravely adventure into a new realm" or whatever the hell you said.

007 Goldeneye came out in 1997 (Best Last gen FPS of all time...next to perfect dark)

Do i really need to say more? THAT was the shiznaight, and the PS1 had superior hardware to the N64 at the time.

AND, the pretty bitmap image with some characters moving around in a pseudo 3d environment may strike some nostalgic chords with people over 25, but honestly...and truly from the bottom of my heart i say this: No....no... :rolleyes2

feioncastor
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I think that the general gameplay graphics of FF7 were pretty rough, blocky, and everyone had huge popeye forarms. But that doesn't make the game any less awesome.

Think about Tetris. Tetris is fun as heck. We've all played it, and you can always play it some more and have fun doing it. The same goes for Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy 1, and so forth. All great games. But they all have AWFUL graphics.

Graphics don't make the game. It was Final Fantasy VII that started the hideous downfall of the FF name. Squaresoft put out an excellent game, with better graphics than before. And it sold like crazy and became one the greatest games ever. So what do they do now? They don't make good games. They make games that LOOK good, but actually suck when you play them. FFX has incredible graphics, but then again, so does Britney's Dance Beat.

Feion

Ultima Shadow
12-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Tetris is fun as heck.
There's 1 thing that's (to me) less understandable than someone saying that FFVII sucks...
And that is someone saying that tetris is fun as heck. :p Sorry tetris fan-boys and fan-girls... but I never liked that game.
Oh, well... whatever. Once again... it's just a matter of opinion.

MoonsEcho
12-09-2004, 12:12 AM
There's 1 thing that's (to me) less understandable than someone saying that FFVII sucks...
And that is someone saying that tetris is fun as heck. :p Sorry tetris fan-boys and fan-girls... but I never liked that game.
Oh, well... whatever. Once again... it's just a matter of opinion.

You aren't alone there. :p

I think we should give this guy credit for not giving up on FFVII. I mean, come on guys. He didn't just blow in here, flame the game to death and leave, he listened to what everyone said and gave the game another shot. That's worth something. Even if he comes out of it still not liking it, I'm sure everyone will survive. Personally, I don't see what the big fuss about Oriental food is all about; I think it's disgusting. But even though I'm apparently one of a small handful that doesn't like it, still the world turns...

bEoWuLfX
12-09-2004, 01:18 AM
N64 was by far superior to the Ps1. Ps1 has 32 bits and N64 has 64 bits so when you compare graphics it's not really fair. You are miss informed. Once again you have no right to critique the game because you haven't beaten it. Props to you for playing still gregoriev.

Gregoriev
12-09-2004, 04:42 AM
...are you blind?

unless the graphics get better and better the more i go through the game, like the music is supposed to, i don't think "keep playing" is going to quiet me down on the whole "the graphics suck" issue. Seeing is beleiving, and you know what? i belive that the graphics are not second rate...their worse.

Also, if the ps1 was at such a disadvantage: Then why is it that syphon filter 3 looked so much better than anything i ever saw on the N64? This includes perfect dark.

Nintendo has always been at a disavantage as far as hardware goes. They come out sooner, but with hardware that is a lesser degree in quality than their competition, because as i read in GMR they do not follow the usual business model of Sell the hardware at a loss and make up for it with overpriced games. seems more like they try to get ya both ways, and get burned by the xbox and ps2. or back in them days the ps1. The DC never really took off...although it definatly should have.

I also don't see why you all hate the other FF games because they were "sell outs to the cause" of having awsome text based story, and bad gaphics, God forbid anyone like a game because it looks pretty.

I want hot chick damnit! lol

bEoWuLfX
12-09-2004, 05:58 AM
stop talking on this thread, you whine too much. say what you will, 64 bit is always better compared to 32 bit. How does their marketing affect the game quality? game quality affects game quality. This is an FF7 thread, so I don't see why you bother coming here to complain especially cause you won't change anyone's mind. God forbid that you ever like FF's that have worst quality instead of being visually pleasing. you are shallow like the puddle I stepped in today, you didn't even get the soles of my shoes wet.

edczxcvbnm
12-09-2004, 06:53 AM
The game came out in 1997. The graphics were good at the time for an RPG. You comparied it to goldeneye...lets see here. Goldeneye had 20 levels and probably around 25ish character skins(not models because they were all about the same size and everything). Of course it looks better when compaired to a game that has 10 characters that have dual models(in and out of battle) as well as hundreds of backgrounds and hundreds of enemy models and NPCs. You also have to understand that the style they were going for was not realistic at all. They were going for anime super deformed look as was the style with all RPGs on the SNES, Gensis, NES and what ever else.

Is the PSX capable of more than what FFVII did? Yes but that is like saying SSX sucks because the PS2 is capable of more. You have to give a system time and at the time the PSX had only been out for 2 years and 3D was new to console developers.

You can say look at Halo but thats PC and they have had 3D for a few years...but I also ask you where was Halo? Thats right not out till much http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifing later. Half-Life would have been a better example but that was in 98 and was a pretty monsterous game graphically at the time.

=Angelus=
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Hmm...

if i remember correctly.. GoldenEye was the 3rd best game in 1997, and FFVII was 4th i think... but i don't hear many people talking about goldeneye anymore :P... if there would be a poll now.. i think FFVII fans would make it the must have game from 1997

oh ya... i miss Yuffie!!....

edczxcvbnm
12-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Goldeneye was the BEST game of 1997. It won game of the year from the AIAS.

Maxico
12-09-2004, 04:43 PM
I thought the Legend of Zelda: orcana of time. Got voted best game of 1997.

MoonsEcho
12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I take back everything I said in my prior post about giving him credit. The 'i want hot chick' comment just blew it all out of the water. Sheesh, watch a movie if all you want is pretty moving pictures. -_-

Viper
12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Sure FF VII have it short coming but...................

It's story line it good and it have THE MOST POWERFUL summon in Final Fantasy -The Round Knight

DJZen
12-09-2004, 07:24 PM
...are you blind?

unless the graphics get better and better the more i go through the game, like the music is supposed to, i don't think "keep playing" is going to quiet me down on the whole "the graphics suck" issue. Seeing is beleiving, and you know what? i belive that the graphics are not second rate...their worse.

Also, if the ps1 was at such a disadvantage: Then why is it that syphon filter 3 looked so much better than anything i ever saw on the N64? This includes perfect dark.

Nintendo has always been at a disavantage as far as hardware goes. They come out sooner, but with hardware that is a lesser degree in quality than their competition, because as i read in GMR they do not follow the usual business model of Sell the hardware at a loss and make up for it with overpriced games. seems more like they try to get ya both ways, and get burned by the xbox and ps2. or back in them days the ps1. The DC never really took off...although it definatly should have.

I also don't see why you all hate the other FF games because they were "sell outs to the cause" of having awsome text based story, and bad gaphics, God forbid anyone like a game because it looks pretty.

I want hot chick damnit! lol

Wow.... Just wow..... Where do I even start.....

The first console of that generation was the Saturn, followed by the PS1. The N64 came out practically a year afterwards and had BETTER hardware. The reason the games were so overpriced was because they were cartridge based. The larger the size of the rom in the cartridge, the higher the price. Take a look at Neo Geo carts. You want a hot chick? Stop playing video games then.

However, this guy DOES have a right to dislike the game on whatever grounds he wants. He's not entirely incorrect in saying the graphics suck either. Square coulda done better, but they rushed the game. They said so themselves. They were capable of better graphics at the time. My favorite mini game is playing "count the pixels" in the pre-rendered backdrops.

Wuggly Blight
12-09-2004, 08:03 PM
The graphics on for the ps1 was amazing, I recall the the magazines before it was realeased, I played it and it was very new, there was little 3d games then, yes n64 had better graphics but ff7 is far larger, if they had golden eye grahics it would be 700 disks long, RPG's take alot of disk space. The backgrounds are great art and should be appricated more, there is a reason why its hyped, becuase it is famous, raised the bar for all rpg's. The game isnt underdeveloped, its overdeveloped, all the characters have some history and some alot.

Gregoriev
12-09-2004, 08:29 PM
700? Thats a bit of an exageration.

In case you never knew, Graphics come are based alot on the systems power and rendering capabilities. do you know how much space a texture takes? a few Kb to half a meg. i know, because i mod halo 2 maps in my spare time. The way they do it these days to save space is to simply use the game engine itself to create the movies, and have the graphics capabilities of the hardware apply textures on the fly. That's why in halo 2 many of the movies, although highly scripted, you will still see the movie start, then a half second later the textures kick in. one of the few annoying things about the game.

pre-rendered images and movies are what take up loads and loads of space. imaging about 100,000 high quality bmp images and a large number of 720 x 486 (probalbly a bit less) pre-rendered movies. all as a part of the same game. plus the actual game and scripted stuff that is based off of the game engine mechanics, that does add up to about 3 full cd disks. each 700MB*3=2100mb or 2.1GB (less i bet because they NEVER use the entire disk.)

ALSO, now i understand that FF is about 4-5 times longer than Halo or halo 2, but a similar game would be KOTOR (best rpg ever imo) That promised about 40-50 hours of gameplay, the same ammount i am guessing you have for FFVII. And it's size? about 2GB if my memory serves me correctly.

So it seems the day is mine Trebek...

FFVIII seems to have had better graphics than FFVII, alot better actually. doing a google search on it turns up some pretty nice screen shots.

Also, as long as the gameplay element is still there, do you people really need an overly condensed novel in video game form?

Based on story alone, not graphics, halo also has a freaken awsome story, but about 99% of the time you are just shooting stuff and hearing people issue commands to you. FF8 really so bad story wise that you could condense it to about 3 pages of typed 12pt text?

and when you guys say "story was sloppy" what do you mean by that? sloppy how? as it in didn't fit hte FF universe? or did it not make sense? Did they leave out important aspects and botch the ending? you have to be a little more specific. I mean, it's FF, unless it was some gay trading card based thing, it could not have been that bad.

now back to how much I rule.

Wuggly Blight
12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
If ff8 didnt surpase ff7 for graphics, they wouldnt let it out, Square has a standard to surpass, As better and newer technology became avilable, and the limits of the ps1 was explored more it would obviously get better graphics wise.

edczxcvbnm
12-09-2004, 09:18 PM
I thought the Legend of Zelda: orcana of time. Got voted best game of 1997.

That game came out in 98 and it won game of the year that year :D

I want to comment on the texture space and all that. All of FFVII would have easily fit on to one disc if it were not for the FMVs. I believe if you use game shark and use the debug room you can do any story part with out changing disc as long as there is no FMV. Xenogears was the same was. ALL of xenogears was on one disc but they had to split it into 2 because of FMV.

Chris
12-10-2004, 01:39 AM

[!]Your post clearly shows just how stupid and ignorant you are.
I bet you didn't even care to finish the game, because if you had you would not state such utter bullhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gif.
Play the game, come back and then tell me what you think, you stupid moron. :mad2:[/!]
Cut the rudeness and flaming. This is a warning. ~ Leeza

Vivi Orunitia
12-10-2004, 01:56 AM
I agree with DJZen about the graphics, but I liked the story line for a ps1 game and they had some good summons.

Ryth
12-10-2004, 02:56 AM
What! You don't like this game!? I know your entitled to your own opinion but still! I agree with you about the character models but this was 1997 (or was it 1996?) this is early Playstation the beginning of the 3D era give it a break! The story is good it takes some time to understand it but you'll understand as long as your not a total idiot you'll find out it's a great story. Yes some of the music was damned annoying but overall it was pretty good! I can't believe you hated Materia I loved the customizing and building up it was cool. Speaking of materia just in case some of you didn't know if you sell a mastered All materia you get 1.2 million gil!! :eek: ! You'll be swimming in cash (unless you blow it all at the Chocobo Racing section of the Gold Saucer).

riphawk
12-10-2004, 04:56 PM

[!]you asswipe! this is the best game ever! i cant believe you dont like it! well. sethiroth isnt really dead. he is alive and well and lives in my atic. and hes gonna kick your ass!
p.s please dont tell my mum that hes hiding in the atic.[/!]

That was really not called for, do not flame other members. Consider this a warning. ~Matty

Halenite
12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Gregoriev, you should never write a review until you've beaten the game.
If you play the game two minutes then write a review, you'll never get a good review for the game.

Otherwise, I say welcome back.

edczxcvbnm
12-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Gregoriev, you should never write a review until you've beaten the game.
If you play the game two minutes then write a review, you'll never get a good review for the game.

Otherwise, I say welcome back.

You do realize that reviewers never beat 99% of the games they play before they review it. They may get far or not. They might cheat to do it. But they don't really finish playing them for the most part. Too many games and not enough time.

Auronhart
12-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Based on story alone, not graphics, halo also has a freaken awsome story, but about 99% of the time you are just shooting stuff and hearing people issue commands to you. FF8 really so bad story wise that you could condense it to about 3 pages of typed 12pt text?
FFVIII is controversial, you either love it or hate it. Personally, I think you should play it without listening to what anyone else says and make your own opinion. (and not on the first little bit)

Nephiliam
12-11-2004, 05:48 AM
I loved this game, it had a great story, great characters and great bosses. I don't understand how people can not like it.. but everyone is entitled to their own opinions I guess. =/

BackRoomKid
12-11-2004, 05:59 AM

Out of all the things you wrote, Sound/Music is what I kinda agree with you. Troughout all the songs, it always kept like a high-pitch kinda flute and that really annoyed me a lot. Yes, I did put on different music. But when it came to Aeris' Death Scene, you can't argue with that composition taken from FFVI, just an awesome re-make. The World Map song, both the happy and sad, was really good. One Winged Angel of course is just awesome, hands down one of the best. But other than that, yeah, I'd have to agree with the music thing...just didn't hit me like other FF's.

Final Fantasy's with great music: FFVI, FFVIII, and FFX

bEoWuLfX
12-11-2004, 07:37 AM
yeah I think ff8 had terrible music, I seriously think they only had like 5 songs, which they varied to make it sound like more. the song at the seed ball is the chocobo dance song. I really couldn't take the ff8 world map music and I think the ragnarok theme song was really annoying. I think 7 had better music, but not better sound quality.

Auronhart
12-11-2004, 09:52 AM
yeah I think ff8 had terrible music, I seriously think they only had like 5 songs, which they varied to make it sound like more. the song at the seed ball is the chocobo dance song. I really couldn't take the ff8 world map music and I think the ragnarok theme song was really annoying. I think 7 had better music, but not better sound quality.
FFVIII has a lot of good tracks that you seem to be overlooking, the good overrides the not so good tracks pretty easily. (such as the world map one(one of the few not so good tracks)) There are many more than five songs which are not variations of each other.

Halenite
12-11-2004, 08:58 PM
edczxcvbnm, I was just pointing out that reviews are alost never good if that does happen and it never should happen.

=Angelus=
12-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Out of all the things you wrote, Sound/Music is what I kinda agree with you. Troughout all the songs, it always kept like a high-pitch kinda flute and that really annoyed me a lot.
Hey!! i liked the flute... :( it sorta had that hero feel to it... esp during the battle theme.. sometimes i would time my limit breaks to just in time with the flute too!! made it more meaningful to me :)

Oh ya.. use hypers on your characters!! it pumps your limit break more when you get hit!!

MistaCloudStrife
12-12-2004, 09:20 AM
If ff8 didnt surpase ff7 for graphics, they wouldnt let it out, Square has a standard to surpass, As better and newer technology became avilable, and the limits of the ps1 was explored more it would obviously get better graphics wise.

I never liked FFIX's graphics... IMO FFVIII's were better... the CG movies were great though... the in game graphics.... sucked imo...

I like disproving people... i'm sorry... But yeah, you can say that its all on opinion whether if it was better or not graphics wise... But i say what i think... =D

SquallKicksAss
12-13-2004, 02:13 PM
I am an extremely big FF7 fan, so you can guess where this is heading... As for Graphics, this was the first 3D game that Squaresoft made and it was all relatively new technology. The Playstation had just been released and this was one of the first good games on it. Although they could of done better, I think it's pretty good. Infact I like to laugh at the poor attempts at expression.

As for Sound, I found the music the best part of the game! I don't know how anyone could dislike the music in this game! I could listen to it for hours and not get bored.

For Gameplay, you only played 40 mins?! There ya go... If you know RPGs at all, you'll realise that the first hour or so is mostly setting the scene and introducing characters and bad guys and the like. Once all that is out of the way, it get's much better.

As for my views on other Final Fantasy games, well anything made after FF7 is absolute crap. I hate all of them after 7. They're all just big showcases of graphics and new technology. None of them have good characters or a decent plot. Most don't even follow the traditional Final Fantasy style of gameplay anymore... And let's not even start on The Spirits Within. That was pure blasphemy.

FFVIII seems to have had better graphics than FFVII, alot better actually.

FFVIII had the worst graphics I had seen! The models were all pixelated, for Christ's sake! I played that game for about 5 minutes and then threw up repetitively on myself. I absolutely loathe that game and will never play it again.

Anyway, I understand that you have the right to an opinion and all, but you really are missing the whole point of FF7. It's not about how good the graphics are or even how good the music is. It's all about character development and plot. As you progress through the game, you meet more characters. You watch these characters grow and learn, and you can relate to them in different ways. You watch the story unfold and you begin to piece hints together and develop expectations and assumptions. Most of the time, these will be wrong. This keeps you guessing, and urges you to play on. I admit, it may take a while for some things to happen, and Cloud just doesn't make sense most of the time, but if you give it time, it all works out. That also may have seemed like a big bunch of mumbo-jumbo, but RPGers should know what I mean.

Anywho, if you don't wanna play it, then don't. I can't force you, and I wouldn't if I could. I recommend it totally, but it just isn't the right game for some people.

~Jim

bEoWuLfX
12-13-2004, 03:59 PM
yeah, I thought ff8 was way more pixelated then ff7. if you ever saw squalls winning pose or anytime they zoomed his hair, it looked like tiny squares. Well, I think the backgrounds got an improvement. Earth worm Jim, how can you actually hate all ff's after 7. You haven't even given 8 a chance and here you are telling the guy to play past the first hour. Not only that your user name is Squallkicass. Hypocrit!

Raistlin
12-14-2004, 02:37 AM
FFVIII had the worst graphics I had seen! The models were all pixelated, for Christ's sake! I played that game for about 5 minutes and then threw up repetitively on myself. I absolutely loathe that game and will never play it again.
*reads through that paragraph*

*looks at your registered name*

*confused*

*reads again*

*still confused*
:confused:

SquallKicksAss
12-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Ah yes, I can see why you'd be confused... Well, I tried to register a new account on EoFF but I couldn't, cuz I can't use my e-mail with two accounts. So I kept this old one.

The thing is, I like Squall himself, as in the character. He's kickass. He's a cold, insensitive, selfish prick. I like that. He pretty much tells everyone else to piss off. It's funny. Okay, I may have made an exageration with the "5 Minutes" thing. I played it for a lot longer... 'Till I got up to the bit with the train hi-jack. By then I was pissed off. That Selphie chick is a ditzy little whore. Seifer is just a wanker. Zell has problems with his anger. Quistis is up herself. All the characters suck. Plus Irvine looks like a girl.

Anywho, I just don't like all the Final Fantasys after FF7 that they've released so far. Maybe FFXII will be better, I don't know.

~Jim (Looking like a bit of a jackass right now)

BackRoomKid
12-14-2004, 04:16 AM
THOUGHT ON GRAPHICS

Well of course, not the best graphics. But probably the most impressive display of graphics, for that time, would be the realease of the Weapons. That was just an awesome CG scene.

Raistlin
12-14-2004, 05:28 AM
The thing is, I like Squall himself, as in the character. He's kickass. He's a cold, insensitive, selfish prick.
*dies laughing*

He pretty much tells everyone else to piss off.
He tells everyone else to piss off because he's an angsty teen. He's worse than Cloud.

Gregoriev
12-17-2004, 06:05 PM
CG scenes have always been awsome looking, relative to what you actually get to play with in the game.

but yeah, i agree, the CG scenes are impressive, everything else is not however. these days every console wants a launch game that shows exactly what this console can do. now in reality that would be only around 3/4 of what it can process, but for launch titles that's awsome!

compare halo 1 and halo 2. halo 1 is awsome looking, better than many games that came out for hte xbox console, halo 2 however is much more optimized and takes much more advantage of the xbox's capabilities, so it has pretty much the best graphics. or at least one of the top five. fable and some others can fall into that catagory too.

in the next year we will see the console breaking games coming out. These are games so incredibly detailed and large it will take multiple DVD disks to play them and they will push the framerate to it's bare minimum before things start getting choppy.

but i digress.

one more thing, whast's the deal with the guy emulating some other chracter from the game because: He's kickass. He's a cold, insensitive, selfish prick.

That's not right dude...if it is true, then you should change since it's no way to make very many friends.

Sephex
12-17-2004, 06:18 PM
1) FFVII looked blocky because it was Square's first attempt at 3D on a hardware that they didn't know much about at the time.

2) There are many tracks to the game. The OST takes up 4 CDs. It is a matter of opinion if you like it or not.

3) If the gameplay is so bad, then why do you even like Final Fantasy games let alone RPGs? Most RPGs have a fighting system like FFVII. At least other FF titles do.

4) Text boxes are fine. The game would be terrible if it voices because localization sucked back then. Ever play the original Resident Evil? Exactly.

5) To me, it was a good game that I enjoyed very much. It brought back elements I enjoyed from previous FF titles along with new things I could tinker around with. The materia system was fun to use. At the time the FMV sequences were beautiful. A couple of them still look great to this day.

I know you took some of the things you said back, but if you are going to slam a game, please play it for more than 40 minutes...especially if it is a RPG.

Havoc
12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't know what to make of this thread. The original posters' `rants` are so incoherent, it is tough to adequately respond. I'll just say this: If you've missed out on the magic that is FFVII, then too bad for you. I just hope - somewhere down the line - you've experienced a game, movie, or whatever that is half as good as FFVII.

-Alex

UltimaLimit
12-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Good job taking back some of the stuff you said. *takes back drunk comment I made earlier* Four points:

1) Game reviewers pretty much never finish the games they review: I can understand that if it's a magazine or something, but I don't think that cuts it in this setting. EoFF will (barring disaster) still be here after you've finished FF7. Finish the entire game, consider playing once more to get any stuff you missed the first time, and then review to your heart's content.

2) I personally thought this soundtrack was pretty good. Listen to Still More Fighting (boss fight theme) and try to tell me it isn't good. If you want a crappy soundtrack, I personally found FF9's ST annoying. (But then, I never was a huge fan of the game...)

3) The graphics: they were good for their time first ever to do 3d blah blah blah :blahblah: now for my point: I noticed that generally, crappy character-models (like Cloud "Hoof-Hands" Strife) move through excellantly done backgrounds. (Reach the end of disc 1, around a certain Aeris scene, and you'll see exactly what I mean.) However, practical things like items and paths and exits sometimes get lost in the detail (and I don't care what you say, Select doesn't show everything). Still, I thought graphics were pretty good.

3 1/2) As for the "time goes on, graphics get better and stories get worse" thing: I haven't played most of the newer ones, but with FF7 as my first and FF9 as my second, I think I see what you mean. FF9 was good, but IMHO, it just wasn't as good as VII. (FF9 had 4 discs to 7's 3, yet I went through them a lot faster--and not just because of gameplay.)

Finally: I think the reason many people (me included) jumped on you was because in several cases, you were disrespecting something they had many fond memories of. FF7 was my first big RPG, and I was wowed by it. Not to mention fond memories associated with the game, etc. (Though like I said earlier, choosing this forum on this website to air your poorly formed opinions was definately a mistake.) Attacking this game--and (without meaning to) those memories... that got people mad.

I've typed too much. *yawns*

Juke
12-18-2004, 06:38 AM
If any one thinks the game is horrible, you are all wwrong. They do not make games like they use to. For one thing the game takes at least 50 hours to complete which is much more than most games through out history. As for graphics they were average but that is only because of the good gameplay. If the graphics were top notch then the game play would have been lower. If you really pay attention to the story line you will really get inot the game.

Renatus
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
okay, so i may have been exagerating when i said there were like 5 themese, i agree there, i bet it all changes from cd to cd as well, but it was annoying, i guess i just don't have the taste for this music. i will also hve to look out for the 1 good track you mentioned.

now, voice may not be much to you, and i personally was able all the same to get into the plot i could get within 40 minutes, but voice helps you identify with your character, make you feel like you can relate to their situation, and actually care about what happens to them. good plot is needed too, and i am positive this game has a good one. the rating was not based on the plot itself, but mainly by how long it took you to find out enough to even begin to get into it. if it takes too long it turns off begining gamers. you see where my marketing type thought line is coming from?

you are not supposed to "get used" to anything when it comes to a game. innovative controls that enhance gameplay, maybe (Steel Batallion), but visualsthat serve to confuse you more than actually help you find your way, umm...no. you can mess with alot of things when it comes to the "getting used to" department, but visuals are NOT one of them.

as to wether or not i detesed the game from before i started, well, i have to say you have a small point there. i was never a big fan of turn based games based on leveling. i try though, that's why i got FFVII a few days ago. it was supposed to be the best of the best for PS1, so said everyone i knew who was into this kind of game. (i don't own a PS2 yet, so don't even start)

That's pretty pathetic, you know, bitching about FF7 without good points. The game was released in 1997, what were you expecting fool?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Again.