PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

Strider
11-24-2004, 10:05 PM
It might not mean much to those overseas, but the morning after Thanksgiving here in the U.S. is known as the biggest shopping day of the year. There isn't a store in sight that doesn't have some kind of massive sale going on, which naturally attracts crowds in the millions to malls and gimongous chain stores throughout the country.

...Okay, maybe it's not millions, but it is really busy. Men and women descend upon toys, clothes and gadgetry like locusts on Egypt, trying to be the one who gets everything they want in one fell swoop. It doesn't usually happen, though, since there's always some kind of tug-of-war or backyard-wrestling-in-the-store deal. I remember trying to get one toy last year, one thing, 6 AM right as the store opened, and they were completely sold out within five minutes of opening. Yeah, it's that vicious.

Therefore, I refer to this occassion as Black Friday. Anyone else ever partake in this, and have any interesting stories? Or for those in Europe or wherever, is there one day in the year where things get like this?

zacks_clone
11-24-2004, 10:10 PM
I'd much prefer to keep my body in tack,thank you. But I know alot of my classmates who have made it a tradition. They go every year. Me, i sit at home and munch on leftovers all day, complaining that someone ate all of my pie.

eestlinc
11-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Friday is international Buy Nothing day. This should be especially easy to celebrate for the millions of the world with no money at all.

Strider
11-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Man, that's a protest just waiting to fail here in America, though.

Skogs
11-24-2004, 10:36 PM
I can't think of anything like that in Europe. Or Australia, for that matter.

Chaos
11-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Black Friday is an event that happened in 1910 in London, England. A group of 300 suffragettes under Sylvia Pankhurst went to the House of Commons to protest against the failure to deliver a promised Equal franchise bill that would allow women the vote. (The bill was used as a trick to stop the supporters of suffrage from voting for a bill that shuold of gauranteed women the vote...)

Anyway, Asquith, the prime minister at the time ordered the police on the women - who were marching peacfully - and said they could use as much force as they deemed necessary to remove them. Cue women being picked up, hit and generally groped and manhandled. Some were pushed to the floor and beaten. It resulted in 2 dead.

The event was named 'Black Friday' by the Daily Mirror in it's headline, and the name stuck.

Its kinda funny, but the pictures of policement grabbing women and lifting them up were on the whole considered rather erotic by some men. I guess everyone was way pruder in 1910 than now.

Anyway...I kinda had to say that. Black Friday: angry woman lifting day, not mass shopping day.

Chaos

DeBlayde
11-24-2004, 10:42 PM
I can participate in the Buy Nothing protest. mostly since I'll be visiting my mum over the weekend, and she's always got a long list of extremely physical chores that mysteriously pop up outta left field with no prior planning whatsoever, it just strangely happened to occur on the day that I came for a visit, planned or otherwise.

Peegee
11-24-2004, 10:46 PM
It's also my birthday. God how I want to be american, if only for that day.

Psychotic
11-24-2004, 10:47 PM
When I saw this thread title, I thought of what Chaos posted. So...yeah.

Chaos
11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
AS level history rocked!

Its suprising how much I've retained.

Chaos

Roogle
11-24-2004, 10:53 PM
I thought Black Friday was the term for Valentine's Day to those who don't have a significant other. :rolleyes2

Psychotic
11-24-2004, 10:56 PM
AS level history rocked!

Its suprising how much I've retained.

Chaos
Yeah! I dropped it for A Level though, as I only got a C. Admittedly it was a high C, but that is never the point. (And what the hell was with the question on the concilliation bill?)

Peegee
11-24-2004, 10:56 PM
No that's "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you wasted your money" day

Shlup
11-24-2004, 10:57 PM
On Thanksgiving I'll be with my boyfriend's family, and my dad's side of the family is having a Thanksgiving dinner on Friday, so I guess I'll be missing the sales.

diddlydoo
11-24-2004, 11:00 PM
I never get up in time to take advantage of the crazy sales. But my parents usually do it up.

theundeadhero
11-24-2004, 11:09 PM
I went Christmas shopping today, so nnnngggaaa!

fire_of_avalon
11-25-2004, 12:39 AM
*works at Sears*

*twitches*

MoonsEcho
11-25-2004, 12:44 AM
I don't go. I get my fill of crowds of insane people on just a regular trip to Wal-Mart. It doesn't help that it's so far after payday on the 15th, either. Money has to stretch, y'know.

escobert
11-25-2004, 12:45 AM
My mom goes away shopping this weekend every year. Her, gram and aunt cathy. I sit around and post here :D

bennator
11-25-2004, 12:50 AM
I usually sleep through "black friday" (as the media refers to it here), because everything is nuts. Roads are clogged, stores are busy, just general chaos. I'm not one for getting up at 6 am to get in line for sales with millions of other people, instead, I sleep until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon that day.

Yamaneko
11-25-2004, 03:00 AM
We can't let the terrorists win, guys! I know a liquor store that can cash our unemployment checks.

theundeadhero
11-25-2004, 03:10 AM
It doesn't help that it's so far after payday on the 15th, either. Money has to stretch, y'know. I know exactly what you mean. I'm broke to payday now :(

Jowy
11-25-2004, 02:23 PM
I work at a video game store. We have sales like crazy tomorrow. I'm also spending all day there. Give me a tissue.

edczxcvbnm
11-28-2004, 09:24 PM
I went out on black friday and it had LOOONG LINES!!! I did pick my self up a nice new 17" LCD monitor. I got some shopping done but I mainly go to just best buy to get electroincs for people. I don't know what people like to wear so I try to avoid clothing.

"You think I am a medium/?!?1 DIEEE!!!!"

I try to avoid that situation.

The Captain
11-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Just like several others, I had to work through America's version of Black Friday and it was certainly not fun at all. It's sad that shopping has really replaced Thanksgiving.

Call me crazy, but England's Black Friday sounds JUST like Black Friday here, especially if you try to cut someone in line.

Take care all.

fire_of_avalon
11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
I found out why we call it Black Friday. Cause for smaller merchants (read: non- chain stores) sometimes it's the first time of the year they see a profit, or "go out of the red and into the black" in banking terms.

TV is good. :D

Dking'squeen
11-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Hey, who besides me pulled the famous snatch-and-grab on Friday? Some lady picked up something that I wanted so I stalked her around until she wasn't looking and then ran by, snathcing the item and jetting off into the store. Nobody cared because they were too musy trrying to keep from getting thier things taken.:D

Shlup
11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
250GB HD for $80

huzzah