PDA

View Full Version : Making a game?

Lost in my mind
11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
AAAARGH :Oo: . I just cant take it. I have been searching for 5 months now. and i have still not found any sites from where one can get information on Visual Basic.

Im planning on making a small game. Got the idea, but havent got all the knowledge needed to create it.

Could someone pleeeease help me?

Dking'squeen
11-30-2004, 06:58 PM
What exactly are you looking for again. I can see if can find anything on it for you

Lost in my mind
11-30-2004, 07:02 PM
I am looking for someone who got the knowledge of game-programming in visual basic.

Exampel: take a look at one of the games on issasoft.com
He's a private person using his sparetime to make games.

One of his best games is "Demons mantra"

Dking'squeen
11-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Demons Mantra? Heard of it, never played it and I'll try and see what's what for you

Lost in my mind
11-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks.

by the way. my best idea of the visuals in the game would be to make it with some sprites and cut-out pictures i have found on the net.

They do look like the FF1 character animations, But i dont think ill be able to make any models in 3D. (Tried it. Took way to much time) :eep:

Dking'squeen
11-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Most games do take a lot of time. Look at me, I've been waiting for Xenosaga 2 for about a year now and I'm growing frustrated. What kind of pics? I mean what do they look like?

Lost in my mind
11-30-2004, 07:19 PM
mmh. Have you ever played a game called zelda, on the gameboy platform?
If you haven't then i can say that they are figures painted as if they were seen from above. And the quality would look like the early final fantasy games.

Lost in my mind
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Whuups. Have to go now. I have some schoolwork to attend to.
But i'll drop by again tomorrow.

Dking'squeen
11-30-2004, 07:25 PM
I know Zelda. The gameboy version of Link is so tiny and funny. So that's how they look. Look our Square sofr/enix, you have a contender

Doomgaze
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Ok, here's the thing. Are you planning on making an RPG?

You WILL fail. End of story.

Now, if you want to make a clone of an arcade game, or a card game or board game or something, good luck. Sorry that I don't know any good sites, though. A google search for amateur game making should get you SOMETHING, though.

Shoeberto
11-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Now now, some people have finished RPGs. Like mine. Not a <i>good</i> example by any means, but still an example.

Visual Basic is crap for game programming. Seriously. I dedicated too much time in that to figure out how bad it was. You won't be able to accomplish much without spending too much time, and it would end up running slow anyway.

C++ would be something to look into if you want to make a career out of it, but if you just want to play around and make your own little thing, check out DarkBASIC, which I've purchased for only $30.

If you still want to go after VB for game programming, http://code.box.sk has some tutorials regarding it.

Auronhart
12-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah, C++ is the language!!!

Meat Puppet
12-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Yeah. C++ is best, I've done a little on a karting game but not enough. GML (game making language) is what I use now, though.

Rostum
12-01-2004, 04:21 AM
I wouldn't use VB to make any games. It's just not all that great.

Although I wouldn't try searching for certain things about VB, I would try just learning it all together and getting the logic of the syntax's down pat. Once you have the logic of it, you can pretty much work out anything in it; but as I said, I found it very limited in terms of power and ability.

Edit: If you really don't want to get deep into programming (which I admit is the most boring thing you could do with a computer) then I suggest getting a hold of RPG Maker 2003 or RPG Maker XP. You'll find you'd have more fun with it.

Lost in my mind
12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
I think i found something.

One of my friends gave me a cd, with a program called
Game maker.

Ive tried it. And it seems easy enough. The only problem though, is to put some scripting into it, so that it will be interactive.

Lost in my mind
12-01-2004, 01:28 PM
But then again.
Yeah. it is hard to make rpg-games.

On the other hand i have worked with some live-rpg Ruleset.
For a group in Nordjylland (Denmark).
Its fun to play. And it won't be a problem putting some FF system into the rules. :D