PDA

View Full Version : Survey: The Greatest Villan

Remnant
11-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Just curious to know who, in your opinion, is the greatest video game villian ever. (I realize because of where these forums are, this is going to be bias, but still...)

You can consider any factor you want, not just the acts they did- think about things like:

Personality
Appearance
Motives
History behind them
Things they say
Anything else you think is relevant.

My pick: Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate II.
He steals your soul to replace his own, which was stripped from him after a failed attempt to become a god at the expense of the elven people. In addition, there is a certain "MacBeth" dynamic, in that his sister influenced his initial betrayal, but he continued to carry through with it.

His voice acting and lines are great as well. He manages to pull of the oxymoron of emotionless hatred and depravity better than any other voice I've heard, including other genres. His attempts to get your character to embrace his heritage have such an "evil logic" quality to them that he gets my vote for the greatest villian.

Flying Mullet
11-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Bowser

http://www.darkbolt.com/extra/bowser.jpg
(had to throw in this cosplay picture I saw)

Doomgaze
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Id, Xenogears
Psycho Mantis, MGS
Officer Tenpenny, GTA: San Andreas

edczxcvbnm
11-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Krelian - Xenogears
Mithos - Tales of Symphonia
Revolver Ocelot - MGS 1, 2 and 3
Liquid Snake - MGS 1
Albert Wesker - Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Irenicus is pretty cool, as is Id.

However, I have to go with Grahf, also from Xenogears.

The fact that Grahf is actually Lacan, a former incarnation of the main character Fei, is freakin' awsome, not to mention his power over the dark wave and such.

XxSephirothxX
11-30-2004, 11:11 PM
While this isn't technically a video game character, he's been IN some games. Darth Vader, man. He's the personification of evil, but the depth of his character and his eventual return to the light side makes him one of the best villians of all time. I can't think of anyone better at the moment, anyway.

Dking'squeen
11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Rubedo from Xenosaga
Darth Vadar from (come on, you know)
Mr. Burns from the Simpsons :D

Doomgaze
11-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Rubedo is Jr. :)

You mean Albedo.

SOMEWHAT INTERESTING OMG XS & XG SPOILER SIDENOTE:

Gaignun, Jr., and Albedo are all realians. In power, their rank seems to go in that order. Now, we rank their hair colors by their power, and...
Black < Red < White

Now, this is probablly nothing, but...

Weltall (Black) < Weltall-ID (Red) < Xenogears (White)

It'd be more convincing if Gaignun's name had something to do with Black like the other two, though. Even then it's a stretch.

edczxcvbnm
12-01-2004, 03:12 AM
I think it is more of a coincidence because major villians usually have white/silver hair. Krelian(at some point), Sephiroth, Kuja, Albedo and this thrend does extend into the relm of anime quite a damn bit.

Doomgaze
12-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Krelian's hair is currently dirty blonde, and originally blue. It seems to be a bluish-white in the ending movie, though.

And yeah, I really doubt it means anything.

Casey
12-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Id also have to go with Grahf from Xenogears, also Fou-Lou from Breath of Fire 4.

Erdrick Holmes
12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Bison from Street Fighter
Orochi from King of Fighters (His influence on Iori and Leona made him look like such an evil bastard)
I-No from Guilty Gear X2 (The way she messes with the heroes minds is entertaining)
Luca Blight from Suikoden II

Dking'squeen
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
You mean Albedo.
Yesm I do

I-No from Guilty Gear X2 (The way she messes with the heroes minds is entertaining)
I can't stand her, I don't like how she talks about Dizzy, Ky and Chipp:(

chaosknight
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
You poor deluded fools are all wrong. I know the one kick ass villan who would kill all of your silly villans. Sephiroth. He could single handedly kill all of your villans. He wears a cool lookin black outfit, he has the longest sword Ive ever seen, he has no mercy for the weak at all(take to mind the legendary death of Aries... poor Aries....), he can summon meteors from space to destroy entire planets with out a sweat. He would not take the time to boast about any deaths he's caused, to him the ones hes killed where weak fools not worthy of existence. He is the embodiment of destruction, the angel of death, and my hero.

Flying Mullet
12-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Sephiroth's boring and over-rated.

Eö Telrúnya
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Sephiroth's boring and over-rated.

:D

I like Kuja from Final Fantasy IX. He's not as evil as most villains, but his haemaphrodite body scares me ... o_O Aside from Kuja, Mr. X. from the Streets of Rage games is great because he can hide an Uzi in his jacket. How many villains can do that? :p

one.winged.angel.
12-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Ocelot MGS, MGS2, MGS3

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
God, get over it, Sephiroth is a freakin' pansy. Grahf could take Sephiroth bare-handed. If Grahf uses OR-Weltall Sephiroth is completely screwed.

Martyr
12-09-2004, 02:35 PM
While this isn't technically a video game character, he's been IN some games. Darth Vader, man. He's the personification of evil, but the depth of his character and his eventual return to the light side makes him one of the best villians of all time. I can't think of anyone better at the moment, anyway.

I always found Ernie McKraken(sp?), from Kingpin, to be the greatest movie villain of all time. At least, the most evil, detestable character ever invented.

As for video games... I've never gone beyond limited SNES RPGs, but I think that Kefka is a pretty bad dude.

m4tt
12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Bowser - Mario
Officer Tenpenny - GTA San Andreas
Baal - Diablo 2

Jebus
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
You poor deluded fools are all wrong. I know the one kick ass villan who would kill all of your silly villans. Sephiroth. He could single handedly kill all of your villans. He wears a cool lookin black outfit, he has the longest sword Ive ever seen, he has no mercy for the weak at all(take to mind the legendary death of Aries... poor Aries....), he can summon meteors from space to destroy entire planets with out a sweat. He would not take the time to boast about any deaths he's caused, to him the ones hes killed where weak fools not worthy of existence. He is the embodiment of destruction, the angel of death, and my hero.

I was wondering when the FFVII fanboys would chime in.

Seriously though, Sephiroth is way overrated. He Spends most of the game out of the picture, and in the end summons meteor just to get some childish payback. He targets an entire city, and plans to blow up the entire world just for what a group of people did to him.

I think I'd also have to go with Grahf.

Raistlin
12-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Ghaleon from Lunar SSSC.

Rase
12-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda): How often do you fight dual-wielding evil pigs?

Constantine/Trickster (Thief: The Dark Project) I just love the game. PLus I like the way the story and thier roles unravel.

Various others I can't think of because I'm tired.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
12-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Lavos (From Chrono Trigger)

Lavos created the human race purly to feed on it.
Lavos doesnt say a single word to the hero's. He simply & mindlessly devours all.

you could fight him very early in the game.... but you'd die....

Even if you kill him.... hes one of many Parasites of his kind. Eventually another will return and destroy humanity.

MistaCloudStrife
12-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I would have to say.........................

Yeah.... Bowser... or Kupa... his ol skewl name.... =P

Crazy the Clown
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
The demon, Skorne, from Gauntlet-Dark Legacy.

DMKA
12-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Nelo Angelo from Devil May Cry.

The Man
12-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Tie between Luca Blight from Suikoden II and Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy VI.

Raistlin
12-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Tie between Luca Blight from Suikoden II and Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy VI.
Luca Blight is obviously superior to Kefka in every single possible way.

Trumpet Thief
12-13-2004, 01:47 AM
-I am too lazy to mark spoilers; deal with it-

Rubedo from Xenosaga

Rubedo: I wasn't a villan. *checks later in thread* Oh, you meant Albedo.

chaos: I find that in every one of these "villan" threads, there is someone boasting about Sephiroth. As Jebus has said, he is WAY overrated. I personally prefer Albedo, from Xenosaga. His story was one that many were interested in, he was much more of a ruthless villan, with his insanity and all. I prefer him way over those "mysterious" villans that appear for about 5/100 of the whole game. The cycle between Rubedo, Albedo, and Nigredo is said to be explained more thoroughly in episode two, a reason on why I want to buy it.

Trowa: Kefka was a great one as well. I find that the word "evil" has taken a jump from someone who does things that obviously defines him as the antagonist, to someone who appears in the shadows, that you know nothing about, and apparently, is given small lines during the whole game, then appearing near the end, and claiming to do something diabolical. The reason I didn't prefer Sephiroth that much because all he did was kill Aeris, and everyone was on him like a dog, praising him left and right. Kefka enjoyed torturing, killed many semi-main characters (General Leo being one) making me rack up more hatred for him than any other villan.

Albedo: *laughs maniacally*

The Man
12-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Luca Blight is obviously superior to Kefka in every single possible way.Luca never said "Run! Run! Or you'll be well done," so I have to disagree. (He did say "You can round up a million maggots to try to defeat me, so you'll still all be maggots," though, which is why he ties).

Ieatyourchildren
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Id have to say either Revolver Ocelot (the MGS games) Sarevok (BG1, and he turns evil again in a mod for Throne of Bhall) Tenpenny (GTA San Andreas) Darth Malak (Knights of the Old Republic) or Garland (FF9)

chaosknight
01-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah well Sephiroth could kill all ur villans frm the other side of a LARGE room. Have u seen the size of his sword? (All u pervs get ur minds out of the gutter...)

Rase
01-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Hmm, as hard as it is to counter your logic, think of this. Sephiroth VS. Kefka... use your imagination.

black orb
01-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Oh... dearest Magus...
Your flashing eyes... like stars...
And flowing hair... Like waves atop the sea...

No sad sunny day nor any frightful
bright place can get us down
as long as you're near...
There's nothing to fear...

Dking'squeen
01-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Yeah well Sephiroth could kill all ur villans frm the other side of a LARGE room. Have u seen the size of his sword? (All u pervs get ur minds out of the gutter...)

I like Seppy, but don't give him that much credit *Although he's not underrated or anything*

oh and about his sword....too late i'm already there

Yes, TT, I meant Albedo. *Rubedo just came to mind first sorry*

Ryth
01-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Sephiroth of course, his backstory,his amazing skill with his giant sword, personality, and just everything! Maybe not everything but he's near-perfect.

Dking'squeen
01-08-2005, 03:37 AM
Sephiroth of course, his backstory,his amazing skill with his giant sword, personality, and just everything! Maybe not everything but he's near-perfect.

and plus who wouldn't like someone who was trying to bring his mother back to life and destroy the world with a giant meteor
great villian...yeah there we go
and didn't he have that laugh? that MWAHAHAHAHA laugh? you can't be a villian without it

Crazy the Clown
01-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Liquid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series. After dying in the first game, his arm was attached to Ocelot's body. (Gray Fox cut it off after Snake saved Kenneth Baker.) In the second one, Ocelot and Liquid are the same person.

Ryth
01-08-2005, 03:47 AM
Yeah Liquid was pretty badass. Did you know Ocelot is the son of The Sorrow and Boss in MGS3: Snake Eater? . It's true...... It's not really a spoiler actually since they don't tell you in the game I heard it from Hideo Kojima in an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly. I just figure I should tag it anyway.