PDA

View Full Version : Question abotu wireless router

Killy
12-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I recently got a router (Linksys Wireless - G), after much installing problems, I finally installed both the router and the wireless card to the other computer. Now, the internet works just fine but the max download/upload speed I can get between the computer is 180kbps, which is inconvenient while trying to exchange huge files. There are 2 floors between those computers, so is it normal or did I go wrong somewhere.

crono_logical
12-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Does the link between the two machines pass over the wireless bit then? I'm assuming that's the case, in which case, yeah, don't expect brilliant speeds for wireless communication. I'm can't remember what the theoretical speed limit on wireless is, but I'm pretty sure it's below that of using standard cables, and you also have to take into account of possible interference if someone else nearby also has a wireless network on a similar frequency, so would slow down both your communications.

Killy
12-01-2004, 12:21 AM
According to the box, the max speed is 54Mbps. So I am a bit disappointed.

Samuraid
12-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Performance can be reduced by obstacles in the path of the wireless signal (i.e. anything that would degrade the signal strength)

Speed and performance is also reduced if you use security measures such as WEP or WPA and also if you are broadcasting in both B and G mode.

Many wireless routers/APs have an option to set the broadcast signal strength too. Check to see if you can boost the signal strength.

Also, if you are using G mode device only, turn off B broadcast (set to "G only" and that should improve performance)

Killy
12-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks, that did it. I can get much better speeds now.