PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Limit" system?

Remnant
12-01-2004, 01:39 AM
So, what is your favorite limit system?

FF VI- happens at critically low health, at a low probability. Initiated with a standard attack- you know they do one when they do it. Limits are not learned- come with character.

FF VII- Limit bar. Fills up from taking damage. When full, attack changes to limit. Limits learned mostly through use, some through items.

FF VIII- At critical health, a character may have the option to perform a limit break. (Probability much higher than in VI). Can opt for regular attack.

FF IX- Trance. Similar to the limit bar, but when it is full, trance initiates automatically. Trance can last for several turns.

FF X- The overdrive system. Haven't played this one, so can't really comment beyond that :P

For me, VI was just too random. They were suprising and special when the happened, but when you only get to see 1 or 2 if you are lucky, it is just too far.

VII was pretty cool, but I felt there was just a little too much control- You could almost save up the limit, and use it at your leisure. Tons better than VI's though.

VIII gets my vote- There was no bar, but it happened in dire circumstances, and was just uncertain enough to make them very appreciated.

IX is better than VI, but not by much. Trances are often less-than-breathtaking, (probably due at least in part to their multi-turn duration), and very often are wasted through either very weak enemies, or at the very end of a fight. Too often do I find myself thinking "That would have been useful 2 fights ago..."

X can't comment, through "overdrive" is a cool word. :)

Blank
12-01-2004, 02:22 AM
FFX definetly has the most diverse "limit" system so far. you can choose for each character how you want their "limit bar" to increase. whether from taking hits, giving hits, supporting other characters, or being healed, etc. etc.

X gets my vote because of the choices

Necronopticous
12-01-2004, 02:44 AM
VIII because you could just switch turns until you got limit, unlimited Renzokuken goodness.

Auronhart
12-01-2004, 05:09 AM
VIII because you could just switch turns until you got limit, unlimited Renzokuken goodness.
And win the game without junctioning because of it. I like how it encouraged people to keep low health.

DarkBeowulf
12-01-2004, 05:18 AM
i liked ffx's beacuse u could save it to use on a high level enemy
i used an overdrive i got besaid on a boss in the moonflow

abrojtm
12-02-2004, 06:05 AM
The Trance system would've been about 1408 times better if you could actually store it until a later battle, the gauge filled up faster (many of my characters only have one Trance per playthrough), and the characters had a more diverse set of Trance abilities (i.e. Quina Eat=>Cook, Garnet Summon=>Eidolon)... Yesh

I voted for seven cause it had the coolest and most Limits (Vincent=Chaos rocks, I will be HIGHLY disappointed if DoC doesn't have some sort of Vincent turning into a f'ugly monster).

X also has a very good Limit system.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Cant pick between 7 and 8....both were pretty Good!

Zante
12-02-2004, 02:55 PM
VI- Too random, I never got them when I needed them

VII- This one was OK, the only drawback was that you couldn't just attack with a full gauge

VIII- This one was crap, I don't like to have my chars on crytical

IX- Haven't played this one

X- This one is the best: many options, the entrust skill

MoonsEcho
12-02-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm torn between VII and X, so I voted for the last option because I LOVE Monkey Island. <_<

IX's trancing would have been better if it carried over into the next fight, especially since about 90% of the time I tranced it was at the end of a fight. -_-

Jolts
12-02-2004, 08:25 PM
FFVI: I've never seen any :(.
FFVII: A lot of them were pretty cool and all, but if you're "limited," you can't choose to attack normally.
FFVIII: Lets you attack normally when "limited," but you have to be in critical status, and even worse to have a better chance of getting Lionheart.
FFIX: Crap.
FFX: Works like FFVII's lets you attack normally when "overdriven," and lets you decide on how the gauge goes up (you have to earn the options, but still...).

FFX gets my vote :D.

nik0tine
12-02-2004, 11:06 PM
It's a tossup between 7 and 8. Sevens was probably the best in my opinion, however it was really nice to be able to use renzokuken over and over again, and it somehow never got boring.

ninja-yuffie
12-05-2004, 06:34 PM
right here is my reasons for likes and dislikes :

final fantasy 7: like: just the general system is amazing
dislike: well... not all of them are that good (mentioning no berrets)

final fantasy 8: like: one word: LIONHEART
dislike: unless you hav an aura stone you have to be on lowe health :(

final fantasy 9: like: the colours!!!
dislike: how LONG it takes.

final fantasy 10: like: how they do them (blitz ace rox)
dislike: ...........em.....LuLu's overdrive isnt that good...

final fantasy 10-2: like: i dont like it
dislike: "special dresspheres* LAME

ninja-yuffie
12-05-2004, 06:35 PM
p.s i think 8 an 10 have the best

Black Mage FF1
12-06-2004, 12:09 AM
FFX had the best, plain and simple. No way you can argue with that. With FFX you had many different ways to gain it and you can use it whenever you want.

Wanderer
12-06-2004, 01:13 AM
ff6: Limit break system stunk pretty badly on this game.

ff7: I never really used limit break on this game it was always 1...2...3 Knights of the round. This system was more stable though

ff8: This came in handy quite a bit, especially when wandering around Island closest to hell. I like using Zells armageddon fist combo. Activates in those really needy times. Use Aura

ff9: This system had its flaws but it comes in handy against later foes.

ff10: This is the best system because u can save the limit break for later.
Being able to customize how to build up the limit break is pretty nifty too.
And remember Aeons build up power using all customizations.

FF10-2: this system is difficult to learn, I recommend tampering withit yourselves. Quote (special dresspheres Rock!!!!!!!!)

mtyclb
12-06-2004, 01:27 AM
I think FF VII had the best limit system

Blank
12-06-2004, 01:36 AM
...........em.....LuLu's overdrive isnt that good...

i liked it myself. i was pretty good at getting lots of hits. me record was like 11 i think, my crappier ones were 7 or 8

and i like the business of working with the special dresspheres. they may be wierd and dumb sometimes but they're fun and good stradegy stuff

Del Murder
12-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Being able to store your limit for a rainy day was a very cool aspect of X.

JayDee
12-23-2004, 08:34 AM
VII was definatly the best, very convenient and most of them were
really good(eg. Omnislash, Highwind, Catastrophe)

VIII was very useful but risky which i liked

IX was awful it comes up at the most inappropriate times and it goes away at the end of the fight.
Everyone says that Zidane's Grand Lethal was soooo OMFG!!111!53092374kl;jdckl;fdej
but Lionheart and Omnislash actually did more the 9999.
Steiner sucked because he didn't so anything it was just increased attack
Garnet's and Amarant's sucked for the same reasons.
really the only good one was Kuja's and that's not to useful.

X's was kind of just an improvement to IX's but was still pretty boring.
maybe it's just cause I hated just about every aspect of FFX

Ichimonji
12-23-2004, 08:46 AM
FFX's limit system is besy by far. It was the most detailed and vast limit system in the series. Every character has multiple unique Overdrives which benefit the battle in some way, and there's so much to upgrade that it litterally takes the entire game to obtain. The worst one by far would be FFIX's Trance system. Even though they benefit the battle, (slightly) you can't control when you use it or not. That gets really frustrating.

Ryth
12-23-2004, 03:18 PM
FFX was the best it was like the FFVII because it had the bar but FFX did it better it had choices and you did something to make the attack effective or less effective by pressing buttons or playing slots, pressing the button at the right time and so forth while Tifa could do the slots that's it. FFX wins!

rubah
12-23-2004, 05:13 PM
FFX.

blitzace baby, blitzace.

(plus you don't loose them when you die. Another thing that i especially liked in ff8:))

ff7's would have been a lot nicer if you didn't have to do something like mimic a physical hit or use deathblow just to save it and still do [nonmagical] damage.

If anyone votes for ff9's. . . well, yeah. that's just sort of sad, imho^^;

UltimaLimit
12-23-2004, 06:57 PM
I only know 7 and 9.

Limit Breaks (FF7):
PROS: generally useful, could be saved and used at will
CONS: can't attack until Limit is used, Limit Break lost if dead

Trance (FF9):
PROS: sometimes useful (could give extra advantage)
CONS: used automatically, no chance to take back previously given command (thus wasting a turn of it), often comes at end of battle right before someone else finishes off last foe (rendering it useless), can be confusing to newbs (more so than Limits), Trance guage emptied if dead hit with certain status ailments.

moron
12-25-2004, 10:33 AM
I just find a stretch where I know the dual-shock is gonna be going nuts and I jam that effer up my brown-eye, right on the prostate. That's how I reach my limit.

Alexander
01-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Oh well. Omnislash. Final Heaven. Highwind. Limit Break from FF7IS the best!

(OFF: Wow, a poll that I don't vote on FFIX :D a miracle XD)

Mirage
01-01-2005, 03:49 AM
People seem to forget we're talking about the limit break systems, the mechanics behind them, not the actual attacks. saying stuff like "FF8 because of Lionheart" is just plain silly.

FFX' had the best, I think. It let you save limits, and you could get lots of different ways of obtaining limits. I think there's a mode that let you overdrive real fast when low on HP too. Daredevil, isn't that the name? FFX' system is pretty much the best from all worlds.