PDA

View Full Version : DOS Naming

Snap Jumper
12-02-2004, 04:34 AM
I noticed that Dawn of Souls: Final Fantasy 1 has an "Auto-name" feature for each of your characters if you hit select. I enjoy the fact that many, if not all, of them are names of people or places from the first half of the series (Doma, Walz, Baron, etc.). Square supplies both male and female names, which makes me wonder: Are their characters intended to be male, female, or whatever you want? What about in earlier versions?

abrojtm
12-02-2004, 04:50 AM
I suppose all of the original 8-bit characters excluding BB/Master could be considered androgynous. In the newer version it's a little hard to pull it off, but all of them are still feasible I guess.

UltimateSpamGrover
12-02-2004, 04:54 AM
The White Wizard on the newer versions is female...

abrojtm
12-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Not necessarliy, I mean, they have the exact same face.

Dragonfire
12-02-2004, 09:14 PM
well in the original FF1 Black Wizard is obviously male. Most of the characters look male, except for white mage/wizard who look kinda female. Then again it's sometimes tough to tell. 8-bit sprite technology isn't the best for showing gender.

nik0tine
12-02-2004, 10:25 PM
8-bit sprite technology isn't the best for showing gender. Or anything else for that matter.

DJZen
12-03-2004, 05:39 AM
well in the original FF1 Black Wizard is obviously male.

How do you figure?

Captain Maxx Power
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Check the crew cut and generally broad shoulders. I dont think the remake FF1 paticularly shows male/female classes, they all appear male to me. Even the white mage appears male to me after the class change.

DJZen
12-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Check the crew cut and generally broad shoulders.

What, you've never seen a woman with short hair and shoulder pads? Wow, you must not have lived through the 80s....

Captain Maxx Power
12-04-2004, 03:36 PM
I was alive, but as a child. From what I've heard the 80s are something that everyone has tried to forget :p

Necronopticous
12-04-2004, 04:31 PM
In the original Final Fantasy manual every character is referred to as male. I am pretty sure the White Mage is supposed to be female in the newer version, the auto name function produced "Sarina" for her, yes her.

Demon eye
12-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Tho I have the NES Final Fantasy I allways choose the fighting type (2Xfighters 1Xtheif and1X Black belt) characters so i only know male names!!!!

Martyr
12-06-2004, 01:37 AM
I'm pretty sure that the thief was a guy, but his hair style, slightly modified, is coming into popularity among lots of girls!
Also, nobody could tell whether WM was a guy or girl. I named her as a girl. As a side note, who would you rather be the healer in a group? A girl, I think. Political Correctness requires blacks and women in every party of heroes who go out to save the world. Generally, if some chick wants to carry a hammer, I'd let her. But I'm far too chauvenistic to let a chick take the forefront in battle. Especially if she insists on wearing robes and not being a fighting character.
As for the possibility of a guy wanting to practice white magic? And have red, long hair? And act all elegant like (You see how the WW has it's hand all catching the hair and such. That isn't a guy position)?
If WM is a guy, then he's a queer. But I don't thik that Square wanted to be that particularly risque considering the history of the game. It seemed pretty PC standard good vs. evil thing. Not the cross-gender party hero club.

BB could be anything. Again, it's more likely that a guy would be more adept at fighting in that style (It's easier for a guy to build muscles), but that doesn't mean much since women can occasionally adopt those genes. Also, since the fighter is so obviously a male, and since the BB is such a wuss when it comes to getting hit, it's quite possible that the fighter's counterpart, BB, is female. (If you're going to tell me that women can take hit's as easy as a man, then you test it. I touch my sister occasionally and she gets all whiny like she's hurt. It isn't a defect. It's a difference. But it's a true fact! Women weren't meant to be getting beat up! Why do you think guys are so degraded when they beat women and glorified when they beat up males? Because it takes an effort to beat up a guy. The toughest girl I ever heard of was Christi Martin, and she left every fight as the bloodiest winner I've ever witnessed)

Black Mage is a guy. Also, the "female" white mage makes for a safe and good counterpart for him. Male, strong, destroyer - BM. Female, soft, healer - WM.

I think that Fighter is a guy. Or else she is some freaking heavy built woman with one hell of a hairdo. A punk rocker hairdo, a knight's armor, and the body of the perfect man. ...

Anyway, those are all my opinions. I felt like sputtering them about.

DJZen
12-06-2004, 04:58 AM
As a side note, who would you rather be the healer in a group? A girl, I think. Political Correctness requires blacks and women in every party of heroes who go out to save the world. Generally, if some chick wants to carry a hammer, I'd let her. But I'm far too chauvenistic to let a chick take the forefront in battle. Especially if she insists on wearing robes and not being a fighting character.
As for the possibility of a guy wanting to practice white magic? And have red, long hair? And act all elegant like (You see how the WW has it's hand all catching the hair and such. That isn't a guy position)?
If WM is a guy, then he's a queer.

If you're going to tell me that women can take hit's as easy as a man, then you test it. I touch my sister occasionally and she gets all whiny like she's hurt. It isn't a defect. It's a difference. But it's a true fact! Women weren't meant to be getting beat up! Why do you think guys are so degraded when they beat women and glorified when they beat up males? Because it takes an effort to beat up a guy. The toughest girl I ever heard of was Christi Martin, and she left every fight as the bloodiest winner I've ever witnessed)

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. No, I take it back. Essays that attempt to argue the moral virtues of Huck Finn are the dumbest thing I've ever read, but this is right up there.

You've obviously never met many women. If you had, you'd know that they're just as diverse as men. If you think that women can't handle pain, ask one about child birth some time. As a martial artist I've met many different kinds of women. Some are weak willed and can neither hit nor take a hit, and some are downright intimidating and get bloodied without thinking anything of it. The only difference I've really noticed is men tend to want to show off more. They're more likely to be arrogant and fight poorly as a result (choosing a heavier weapon than you can wield, hitting too hard and wearing yourself out, talking trash while letting your guard down, etc.). This is a ridiculous post that's actually downright offensive to women and gays. Congratulations. Way to be, guy.

Martyr
12-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Uh, rare exceptions to the rule based on people who strive for abilities that others don't have can hardly be used to counter my argument.

Just because some women train to be boxers doesn't mean that they could stand in the ring for very long with a male boxer.
I'm thinking Christi Martin versus, um... De La Hoya?

Women are not equally versatile when it comes to physical strength and endurance.

And physical endurance is not pain threshold, by the way. Childbirth is said to be the most painful thing in the world, yes. But that's pain. It isn't impact on the generally more fragile skin and body of a woman.
Look, my experience and knowledge is that women break more easily.

And you're the one who doesn't seem to have met a woman. I mean, if you have, and if this is the first time that you've heard anybody say anything like this, then you must spend your time in a radically liberal women's rights fortress/college/political asylum/martial arts building where they're constantly criticizing the iniquities of men. Or something. Because this opinion has been prevalent throughout most of time, before the women's rights movement, ever since it was found to be painfully obvious and men had to take up the role of fighters and heavy workers. And after the women's rights movement, despite the outstanding diversity and worthiness women have shown, especially in arts, and women excel in showing marvelous new viewpoints that men don't often have, they are still not generally capable of taking a harder hit than a man - to the head or to the stomach or to anywhere else.

Maybe my post was offensive to gays. I always end up offending gays when gender roles come up. I say things that I think are logical, but sometimes can be taken as very offensive. I'll apologize about that.

But until I see a woman who can take a hit harder than a man with equal training (Equal training because that proves equality), then I will have to assume that they're less physically capable. That's in strength and endurance when it comes to something like battle, like what's being referred to here. And I don't think that my opinion is a stupid conclusion to have come to. Considering I've NEVER seen an example otherwise.

Dignified Pauper
12-06-2004, 03:08 PM
What about China from le WWE!? She's had just as much training as other wrestlers, and has beaten the crap outta some... Me thinks it's all on personal stature.

Martyr
12-06-2004, 06:11 PM
China is a rare exception to the rule. She doesn't debunk my argument.
Besides, wrestling is all about building up muscle and putting on a show. China is definately tougher than the average man and extremely tough for a woman, but she is an individual and can't really stand to represent the population of women.

Personal stature, sure. But how many China's are there? Going high, maybe 60? I don't know. But there are probably 3 billion women.

Also, you read my first post and had insight to my brain on how I name characters for a video game?How I justify the gender roles of character-less heroes in an 8-bit nintendo game. This is extremely trivial crap here, at the bottom line.

And if ya'll feel the need to prove to me that women are as tough as men, well, you go on feelin' that need. I'm not going to sit and argue much longer. All you got on your side is hearsay and, maybe China. (A woman who is super highly trained. But even still, I bet that if she was in a nonstaged fight with any of the wrestlers, the odds would be strongly against her.)

abrojtm
12-07-2004, 12:04 AM
I forgot who said it, but someone once said that WM/WW is probably based in a Christ-like figure.
Jesus is often depicted wearing a white robe with long hair. He uses His powers for good (healing, curing blindness, curing poison, reviving the dead, etc.), and is a pacifist (hence why WM is so weak). There was a longer explanation somewhere, but I'm to lazy to search for it.

Snap Jumper
12-07-2004, 03:43 AM
But I'm far too chauvenistic to let a chick take the forefront in battle. Especially if she insists on wearing robes and not being a fighting character.

In game 6, when you enter the World of Ruin, you have to let Celes fight everything on her own until you get a Figaro brother. Guess you can't do that part. :)

Anyways, they also have Elayne as an auto for the red mage and Nina and Delila for the black mage, but they also have Mid for a red mage, so Square must be leaving it up to us.

As far as the manual saying they're all males, Nintendo referred to Samus Aran of Metroid as "he" to mislead people. I doubt Square did the same, but with the translation skills they had then (Power of Cheese thread!!), it could be anything. I guess we'll never know for sure.

abrojtm
12-07-2004, 05:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that they intended them to be androgynous, hence the Role Playing in RPG.

Behold the Void
12-07-2004, 07:28 AM
All Red Mage ever wanted was a daddy who loved him, and all his daddy ever wanted was a girl, it's so sad :crying:

Or at least that's what Theif tells us.

Flashback007
12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
All Red Mage ever wanted was a daddy who loved him, and all his daddy ever wanted was a girl, it's so sad :crying:

Or at least that's what Theif tells us.

I think you should read less things of a certain site (which ofcourse I shall not metion here). But then again on that site it's made obvious that White Mage is a female cause Black Mage is always hitting on her. And White Mage is always hitting on Black Mage.........with her hammer.

Mage_of_Fire
12-21-2004, 08:23 AM
i think fighter, thief, and black belt are obviously male. Red mage is also male i think.

However, I think of white mage as female. Perhaps 8-bit theater biases me though, because the white wizard is male or ambiguous at best. Black mage could be either I think, but again, black wizard is either male or a mix. I name my Bm and Wm girls though.