PDA

View Full Version : Hang on...where's the originality?

Lindy
12-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Anyone noticed how all the games lately seem to be sequels?

Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Star Ocean 3, Paper Mario 2, GTA : San Andreas, Jak 3, Ratchet 3, and probably many more I can't think of...

So the question is, where's the originality gone? I mean, sure, each game has new and original advances on their previous iterations, but it's still the same idea, a similar concept, and a continuation of a name, heck, Metroid Prime 2 has IDENTICAL controls to Metroid Prime and pretty much exactly the same items, even a whole bunch of the enemies are just about the same (Grenchlers and Sheegoths for example).

Where's the new stuff, eh? =O

Shoeberto
12-03-2004, 09:07 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The originals sold. The sequels will sell. It's a smart move, business-wise.

Cz
12-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Originality isn't really a factor for me as long as the games are still fun. While games that break new ground are all well and good, as long as sequels continue to be entertaining and not become repetitive updates then I won't mind.

Plus, companies are hardly likely to push a new concept when they can guarentee over £100 in just one weekend from a sequel such as GTA: San Andreas. As frustrated as it might be for some consumers, it makes good business sense to release sequels etc. Not to mention that these games are what the majority of the games-buying public are interested in. Sad though it may be, innovation and originality are always going to fall by the wayside if huge sales on the mass-market are easily available.

Dking'squeen
12-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I like the sequels, esspecially to games where I liked the prequel and stuff, but it would be nice to see some new, actually interesting games. Oh, you forgot Soul Caliber2(I like it though, but still has almost the same thing going in it) Tekken 2,3,4 (loved) and NOW 5!!!!!Sheesh. What's up with paper Mario? Ohh you are super flexible, you can take on the shape of a plave, boat and yadda yadda yadda? I don;t get it. Maybe I don't play Mario enough....
Ph yes, Zelda and ALL OF THOSE SEQUELS!!!!!!!!!!!!(Sorry, had to add it in extra letters since there are more Links running around than ants)

edczxcvbnm
12-03-2004, 10:41 PM
All the more orignal games usually come earlier in a system life cycle.

Halo, Metroid Prime, GTA 3, SSX, Z.O.E. Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball, Ghost Recon, Frequency, Rez, Soul Calibur, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness. Now all of those games have finally gotten a sequel or 2 so next year expect more original games next year.

Maxico
12-03-2004, 10:48 PM
The originality? Its dead. Its buried somewhere inbetween the dignity of the industry and the developers bloodied and beaten dreams. The truth is the publishers killed it. Why make a new game when you can make last years game with features that you deliberatly witheld so that you could make more money next year.

The good developers try. You can see the efforts they put into the design and the details but they are always confined. Why? because when you get down to it kamatari damacy doesnt shift units.

And the sad bit? The sad bit is that we will still buy it. We will still play it all the way through in a hope of reliving the feeling we got when we played it the first time. The first time we hid from a guard in a cardboard box, the first time we got a clean headshot with a sniper rifle. But the truth is that you can add as many explosions, as much bump mapping and you can shove all the NOS you have up its arse but it will never be the same as the first time.

Yes we will buy it. And the publishers will see that and make it again. And so the cycle of repetitivness spirals. And with the increasing development times and costs involved in these games it looks to get worse.

Dking'squeen
12-03-2004, 10:50 PM
The originality? Its dead. Its buried somewhere inbetween the dignity of the industry and the developers bloodied and beaten dreams. The truth is the publishers killed it. Why make a new game when you can make last years game with features that you deliberatly witheld so that you could make more money next year.

The good developers try. You can see the efforts they put into the design and the details but they are always confined. Why? because when you get down to it kamatari damacy doesnt shift units.

And the sad bit? The sad bit is that we will still buy it. We will still play it all the way through in a hope of reliving the feeling we got when we played it the first time. The first time we hid from a guard in a cardboard box, the first time we got a clean headshot with a sniper rifle. But the truth is that you can add as many explosions, as much bump mapping and you can shove all the NOS you have up its arse but it will never be the same as the first time.

Yes we will buy it. And the publishers will see that and make it again. And so the cycle of repetitivness spirals. And with the increasing development times and costs involved in these games it looks to get worse.

I KNEW IT WAS A SCAM! :D

NM
12-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Where's the originality?

EA stole it and are keeping it locked away somewhere safe, so they can continue to release FIFA, NBA, NHL type games until the end of time. That or people wise up and stop buying the rubbish. :D

Until it isn't profitable to make sequels to existing game's original game's will be few and far between.

sorrowforsephiroth401
12-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Ummm.....Katamari Damashi?

Maxico
12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
That sentance doesnt make sense. Are you asking what it is, pointing out that it exists and it is original or correcting my spelling?

Rase
12-07-2004, 05:29 AM
It's hanging out with the DS (yeah, there are some ports/sequals, but the set up is very original and surely SOME original games will take advantage of these)

Lord Chainsaw
12-07-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't really take into account originally when I take into account how good a game is. Innovation don't mean a thing to me as long as the game is presented well. I can understand how some people believe we aren't heading in the right direction with all of these rehashes of games, but I don't agree with the idea that something has to be innovative to be good.

But the truth is, in almost every situation and series, the first will always be the most well liked unless the series undergoes some drastic change. It's very, very difficult to make a sequel more popular than an original entry in a series. Very difficult.

Behold the Void
12-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Complaining about excess of sequels on a Final Fantasy forum. Priceless :laugh:

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-08-2004, 01:51 AM
^lol Im glad someone picked that one up lol! :D