PDA

View Full Version : Mary Jane from the Spiderman movies/Mary Jane of the original comic book

darkchrono
12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
How accurate of portrayal is Mary Jane from the Spiderman movies to the original Mary Jane from the comic books.

From what I understand in the comic books Peter had more than one love (he also had a love called Gwen Stacey). From what I have seen from the interviews and what not from the DVD movie set. The Mary Jane from the movies is basically a combination of the personalities of the two loves from the comic book (MJ and Gwen).

Because of that though how different is the MJ from the movies to the MJ of the comic book. I heard that the MJ of the comic book was not quite as caring as the MJ of the movies are. She was more along the lines of kind of the stuck-up party-girl stereo-type.

Do MJ and Peter have a much more caring relationship with eachother in the movies than they did in the comic books

Shoeberto
12-04-2004, 01:26 AM
??

I never read the comics, but I watched the animated series all the time, and Mary Jane was caring, but she got irritated at Peter a lot because of how he was always ducking out and breaking dates with her because of his duty. Gwen Stacy, if I remember correctly, was Black Cat, and so she was in love with Spiderman, but just friends with Peter, which became another hassle with MJ because he had to juggle the two and make sure that the relationship with Cat never went anywhere.

Dingo Jellybean
12-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Gwen Stacey was Spider-Man's first love. Kind of like Lana Lang to Superman, but Gwen Stacey was ultimately killed by the Green Goblin(or was it the Hobgoblin?). So the movie isn't exactly accurate.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-04-2004, 04:32 AM
In the graveyard in the first movie you can see Gwen Stacey's tombstone.

FYI

Shoeberto
12-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Yeah, that's right...Black Cat was Felicia.

m4tt
12-04-2004, 04:45 AM
I never read the old comics, but I read the Ultimate version. Mary seems like a normal teenager. She found out that Peter was spider-man almost right away though, so she knew why he was always running off. In the last few issues I read Peter gave up being spider-man and Mary is loving it, but Peter is started to regret it.

Dingo Jellybean
12-04-2004, 04:57 AM
In the graveyard in the first movie you can see Gwen Stacey's tombstone.

FYI

I didn't see the first 20 minutes of the first movie, but that could've been put there for nostalgic reasons. Besides, Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacey after he knew who Spider-Man was. But because in the movie Gwen Stacey died before Peter Parker became Spider-Man, it wouldn't make sense.

And Gwen Stacey died in Spider-Man's arms btw.

FYI

krissy
12-04-2004, 05:42 AM
another comic series came out which follows more along the movie plot lines

anyway i used to have the marriage comic from early 90's. that one was pretty classic apparently. i liked it.

darkchrono
12-04-2004, 05:42 AM
So is Mary Jane in the movie probably an accurate description of Mary Jane from the comic book. Or is Mary Jane from the movies indeed kind of a combination of MJ and Gwen from the comic books.

Dingo Jellybean
12-04-2004, 06:30 AM
So is Mary Jane in the movie probably an accurate description of Mary Jane from the comic book. Or is Mary Jane from the movies indeed kind of a combination of MJ and Gwen from the comic books.

I haven't seen the 2nd Spider-Man, but from the first Spider-Man most of it is accurate. Not sure about the combination part. Gwen Stacey was Spider-Man's first love, whereas Mary Jane was Peter Parker's first love.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-04-2004, 01:36 PM
I didn't see the first 20 minutes of the first movie, but that could've been put there for nostalgic reasons. Besides, Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacey after he knew who Spider-Man was. But because in the movie Gwen Stacey died before Peter Parker became Spider-Man, it wouldn't make sense.

And Gwen Stacey died in Spider-Man's arms btw.

FYI
Yes, I know that. I was just pointing out a small little easter egg in the movie.

gokufusionss1
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
mj in the comics is far more assertive, and as for parker himself he loved gwen stacy more then he does MJ.

Raistlin
12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
I never read the old comics, but I read the Ultimate version. Mary seems like a normal teenager. She found out that Peter was spider-man almost right away though, so she knew why he was always running off. In the last few issues I read Peter gave up being spider-man and Mary is loving it, but Peter is started to regret it.
Ew. You should've read "The Amazing Spider-Man." Those are considered the real thing. It's also the original.

Peter's first love was Gwen Stacey, who was killed by the Green Goblin in the first issue. His next "love"(really a crush) was Felicia Hardy, aka The Black Cat. Then comes Mary Jane(I forget exactly how they meet; in the old cartoons, it was a blind date).

The movie Mary Jane is...well, close enough to the comic book's, personality wise. However, her life and how her and Parker meet are way off.

Gwen Stacey was Spider-Man's first love, whereas Mary Jane was Peter Parker's first love.
Huh? What have you been reading/watching? That's not true for the comics or for the movies.

Yes, Gwen Stacey's tomb was put there for nostalgic comic-book readers like me. The movie in no way shape or form insinuates that Peter even knew her. It even explicitly states that he had a crush on MJ(which insinuates "and no one else") since he was a little kid.

Dingo Jellybean
12-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Huh? What have you been reading/watching? That's not true for the comics or for the movies.

Yes, Gwen Stacey's tomb was put there for nostalgic comic-book readers like me. The movie in no way shape or form insinuates that Peter even knew her. It even explicitly states that he had a crush on MJ(which insinuates "and no one else") since he was a little kid.

It was either one. I knew Gwen came before Mary in one of the two egos of Spider-Man and Parker. And yes, I do specifically remember the Green Goblin, not the Hobgoblin, killing Gwen Stacey before she died in his arms.

And I never implied that Parker knew GS in the movies. The movie is made to condense years of Peter's life into under 2 hours, so it's going to have to chop off a lot of intracacies about Spider-Man's life. I even stated that it was just there for nostalgic reasons, so thanks for leaving off part of my quote.

Raistlin
12-05-2004, 02:26 AM
It was either one. I knew Gwen came before Mary in one of the two egos of Spider-Man and Parker. And yes, I do specifically remember the Green Goblin, not the Hobgoblin, killing Gwen Stacey before she died in his arms.
Has anyone mentioned Hobgoblin in this thread? O_o
Of course Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacey.

Also, my "Huh?" comment was directed towards the Spider-Man/Peter Parker's first love thingy. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Peter loved Gwen Stacey before he was even Spider-Man.

I even stated that it was just there for nostalgic reasons, so thanks for leaving off part of my quote.
I didn't leave off anything; you said that in a whole different post. And I wasn't saying that you said anything different either(I even said "Yes," which usually suggests agreement, yes?). Thanks for sarcastic remark for no reason, though.

Dingo Jellybean
12-05-2004, 04:20 AM
Has anyone mentioned Hobgoblin in this thread? O_o
Of course Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacey.

Also, my "Huh?" comment was directed towards the Spider-Man/Peter Parker's first love thingy. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Peter loved Gwen Stacey before he was even Spider-Man.

I didn't leave off anything; you said that in a whole different post. And I wasn't saying that you said anything different either(I even said "Yes," which usually suggests agreement, yes?). Thanks for sarcastic remark for no reason, though.

I was the one who got confused about which Goblin killed who(you can look at my earlier post). I wasn't referring to anyone but myself. And I thank you for your sarcastic remark I only browsed what you wrote so no need to get testy, I'm sorry I don't worship Spider-Man like the holy bible, so I can only affirm what I know.

darkchrono
12-06-2004, 07:30 AM
so in the comics was Gwen Stacey (and not MJ) the girl Peter grew up having a crush on.

And for the movie instead of putting both girls into the flick they just decided to condense parts of the story of each girl into one individual (MJ).

Anaisa
12-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah Peter loved Gwen before Mj in the comic books. I thought the Mj in the first spiderman movie was ok and i haven't actually seen the second one. But from what i have seen of the second one the Mj in the movie does not look like the Mj from the comic books without the red hair. why was her hair not red in the second movie?! Mj was always a red head in the comics and should have always been a red head in the movies. I suppose since Mj was the woman spiderman ended up with in the comic books and they don't intend on making that many movies they thought they would have Mj as his first love rather then Gwen stacey like in the comic books. And i have never noticed a Gwen stacey gravestone in the first movie and if it is there thats ridiculous. And you've mentioned Gwen Mj and Felicia on here for Peters loves but you've forgotten Betty brant :surprised

m4tt
12-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Ew. You should've read "The Amazing Spider-Man." Those are considered the real thing. It's also the original.

Peter's first love was Gwen Stacey, who was killed by the Green Goblin in the first issue. His next "love"(really a crush) was Felicia Hardy, aka The Black Cat. Then comes Mary Jane(I forget exactly how they meet; in the old cartoons, it was a blind date).

The movie Mary Jane is...well, close enough to the comic book's, personality wise. However, her life and how her and Parker meet are way off.

Yeah the Ultimate version is like a whole different universe. They just wanted to change it up and "re-write" the history of spider-man, the x-men, fantastic four and so on. Gwen died like 10 issues ago, Carnage killed her though

I think the ultimate version and the movie are kind of similar. MJ is Peter's neighbor, the Green Goblin throws MJ off the bridge, Peter has always had a crush on MJ.

darkchrono
12-07-2004, 01:27 AM
well then I wonder if the movies are based off of the ultimate comic book story instead of the original comic book story.

Anyway, the way they made the movies is perfect. To much in the comic books for them to be able to put it into a couple hour movies.

Though I wonder for movie 3 what they will make the plot over. They can't really do a whole lot more with the Peter-MJ story, since that has mostly been resolved, or at least the interesting part has already been resolved.

And it seems the first two movies were mainly about the Peter and MJ love story. So it will be interesting to see on where they take it for movie three.

Anaisa
12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Like i said before i haven't seen the second movie but i thought the first one was really good.But was very displeased :mad2: when my brother told me that his identity had already been revealed in the second movie. If that is the case then that movie is far from perfect. Yes they can't make as many movies as there are comic books but to have his identity revealed that soon on in his crime fighting career is a joke. And Mjs hair should have stayed red. In all the spiderman titles including ultimate, Mj is a red head, like she was in the first movie,and like she should have been in the second movie.

Rye
12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
I LOVE the Spiderman movies. I find MJ to be caring of Peter in Spiderman, but she kinda acted selfish in Spiderman 2. She was running around with 2 different guys expecting them both to wait for her to decide.

theundeadhero
12-08-2004, 02:45 AM
I don't know much but in the comics MJ becomes a lingera (sp? underwear and bra) model and in the movies you can see her boobies! kinda.

Shlup
12-08-2004, 03:06 AM
Gwen Stacey was Spider-Man's first love. Kind of like Lana Lang to Superman, but Gwen Stacey was ultimately killed by the Green Goblin(or was it the Hobgoblin?). So the movie isn't exactly accurate.
Gwen is tossed of a bridge or whatever, and when Spiderman catches her in his web and pulls her up she's dead, so he's tormented with the fact that he may have killed his love.

Mary Jane didn't go to high school with Peter Parker in the comics. She was the niece of a friend of Aunt May, and the two of them had long conspired to fix the two up. I think they met after Gwen died, but before Peter had a thing for Black Cat, which ended with him realizing Black Cat loves Spiderman and not Peter Parker.

MJ and Peter got married, but because Peter was gone so much MJ left him. Unless something's changed in about the last year or so, they're currently seperated.

That's in the original comic, which I believe is on its fifth artist. There are like two or three other versons though, including the good one which is much closer to the movies.

The MJ in the movies is retarded. Almost as retarded as the original. I love the Spiderman movies but when she's running in her wedding dress, I don't think it was supposed to be funny, but the rest of the audience and I laughed our asses of.

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Spoiler: Gwen died like 10 issues ago, Carnage killed her though
<i>Carnage</i> killed Gwen Stacey? Holy crap, Carnage came <i>years</i> after Gwen Stacey in the original.

well then I wonder if the movies are based off of the ultimate comic book story instead of the original comic book story.
It's not really based off of either.

Oh, and what Shluppy said.

Btw, one last thing: is it just me, or was the "webs coming directly out of his wrists" thing the most retarded idea ever?

krissy
12-12-2004, 05:57 AM
In one of the streams, Gwen si Harry's sister I think, and she's got SPOILER goblin blood in her, and she's not dead at all, but was engaged to peter.

ps. raist: I KNOW WTF. thing that bothered me the most during the first movie. if its poppin outta there, it could be popping out of his neck for crying out loud.