PDA

View Full Version : Is a ranger a good job?

Lain
12-04-2004, 01:27 PM
I really love bows, but I saw in the game many rangers and they were attacking very slow and also arrows are extremly expensive. So is it worth to be a ranger? Can you find in Windurst any else extra jobs?
BTW I'm Mithra and right now my job is warrior

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Rangers bleed gil, but they also have the highest damage output in the game, barring black mages. They're also very versatile...normally seen as pullers, but even without voke, they can tank--keep hate by doing more dmg than the rest of the party put together--and Widescan makes hunting and farming very easily. Rangers can also use arrows or bolts with added effects (such as Defense Down) which enfeeble the mobs a la rdm.

Furthermore, you're a Mithra, and with their high AGI, Mithra make the best rangers in the game. 2 AGI = +1 Ranged Accuracy, and Ranged Accuracy is *everything* to a ranger. The more you hit, the fewer arrows/bolts/bullets you go through, and hence the less gil you bleed. Later on in the game, when you party with bards who have Hunter's Prelude, you'll seldom miss.

Roogle
12-04-2004, 08:45 PM
In a lot of cases, the ranger can even do more damage than any spell due to the high damage output of their weapon skills. Yes, Ranger is a good job, but you have to make sure that you have the resources available to you to make enough money to purchase supplies. It's not THAT much, but it's a lot, I'd imagine.

Lain
12-04-2004, 08:57 PM
What is the best way to earn money then??

Roogle
12-05-2004, 12:21 AM
There are too many different ways to list, but most of them require a lot of time. If you have a passion for being a Ranger, I would have to tell you to ignore what everyone thinks and just go for it — you can find out your own way as you go along, and you'll be just fine.

If you really want to know, I never really stopped to make money, but it showed. I am level 75 now, though, and it wouldn't have really mattered if I spent that long making money or not. It's a little more important for you, though, since you're a ranger and you need arrows. Arrows aren't THAT much, but they're not cheap, either. You have to get a lot of them.

abrojtm
12-05-2004, 06:07 AM
As a thirty-some-odd RNG, I can attest to RNG needing money. I decided to become a Ranger after I hit level 30 with my War. Ranger is a heck of a lot of fun, but arrows really are expensive, and bullets are EXTREMELY expensive. Before becoming a RNG, I would definitely recommend working up your woodworking craft. Damage is great, and you'll probably be doing 2/3 of the damage per battle until you get into Qufim. Gil is also a major issue. You'll find yourself cutting through stacks of Mithkabobs and Arrows on an hourly basis. Also take into account that you'll be needing as many +1 RNG ACC, RNG DMG, and AGI stat-boosters as possible.

Summary: Ranger=fun, Ranger=expensive, Ranger=powerful (specially once you learn Sidewinder).

evil-maniac
12-05-2004, 02:40 PM
For a person wanting to become a ranger, yes its expensive, but once you are a ranger and hit level 40, you will be making more money than spending, you see rangers are a necessity in BCNM, and the average gil a ranger makes in BCNM is around 800 thousand gil. Rangers also have quite cheap weapons, yes Bows are expensive at higher levels, but guns are very very very cheap, and tend to do more damage than bows, but bullets can be quite a pain to acquire since not many people synth them, thus making them a bit expensive.

Otherwise, ranger is a job nearly everyone should level, it is more of a money maker than a money "loosing" job, plus it is very good fun, especially having the abilitiy to do massive damage. Ranger and black mages are also about the only 2 jobs that can take down 3-4 players in Ballista without having a hard time.

In the end, ranger tends to become abit hard since you do have to pull, and YOU WILL die several times doing so, not only this, you will get all the hate when your tank dies.

abrojtm
12-05-2004, 07:04 PM
If you're not real good at timing your shots, not even a PLD can keep hate sometimes :rolleyes2

Lain
12-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Before becoming a RNG, I would definitely recommend working up your woodworking craft.
How to do this?? (I just started game and many many things are a mystery for me)

Mikztsu
12-12-2004, 03:34 AM
Ranger > All. :) Love being one, eventhough it's very expensive. I'd recommend you to read guides from www.allakhazam.com

P.S. Dinged my woodworking to lv 59 today. Soon demon arrows. :(

zoti
12-12-2004, 08:04 AM
lol that link is for eq;p

Lain
12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I'd recommend you to read guides from www.allakhazam.com

lol it's pretty good site, but can you tell me where Woodworking Guild is in Windurst? I haven't found it...strange

Mikztsu
12-12-2004, 11:58 AM
The carpenters guild is at San D'oria. :)

Lain
12-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Oouch! Only Sandoria?? I can't do woodworking then....
So if I can't do this what is better craft to make money : weaver, bone or cooking??

Lionx
12-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Bwah its not like anyone can pick up a craft and do it...try lvling it once you reach lvl 30 with a good ammount of gil, most crafts are moneysinks til high lvls, and by that time you should be able to travel to the 4 nations with ease and a Chocobo to boot.

Citizen Bleys
12-13-2004, 02:35 PM
At this point, crafting is a money-losing proposition, even at high levels. I got cooking to 69, and (especially now that the Jeuno tax is in every AH), I can't make any money; AH price for crafted foods is lower than the price of the ingredients. The only way to make any money is with HQ synths, and I don't make enough HQ to make it worthwhile; If I synth Chiefkabobs, I eat them myself.

Lain
12-13-2004, 02:51 PM
So I shouldn't synth yet? When should I start then?
And HQ. What is this?

evil-maniac
12-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Its when you synth something that is of higher quality than what you where trying to synth, for example, instead of synthing steel mail, you synth steel mail +1, or instead of an iron ingot, you synth a steel one.

Citizen Bleys
12-13-2004, 06:58 PM
In the case of woodworking, it usually means you synth 66 or 99 arrows instead of 33.

Lain
12-19-2004, 11:27 AM
So I shouldn't synth yet? When should I start then?

Lionx
12-19-2004, 03:39 PM
When you got enough money to invest in this craft. More like 30Kish and conserve it lvling your skill up.

lordblazer
12-20-2004, 09:13 AM
WEll one way of getting gil is to monopolize a market on your server.Yes it is almost impossible if oyu dont have gil.So I just suggest getting oyur crafting skills up and making and selling in-demand items.

Lain
12-26-2004, 04:43 PM
What is best sub for ranger?

Lionx
12-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Arguably, before lvl 24, WAR seems to be the norm, or THF for AGI. After 24, alot of RNGs sub NIN(also expensive job to lvl), and then dual wield Archer Knives and use Utsusemi to help them avoid hits when they hit for high dmg numbers and receive hate, letting the tank have more valuable time to get hate back.