PDA

View Full Version : PS3

Jojee
12-04-2004, 03:49 PM
o__0 I can't be the first one to post this topic... but I haven't found it elsewhere, so there ya go.

I just heard about it.

What....? o_0

Discuss.

ChaosCalibur
12-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Did Sony anounce it yet? If so where's a link?

Necronopticous
12-04-2004, 04:18 PM
A long time ago I read an article about the disc format it's going to use, back then they were called "Blue Discs", they look like encased CDs, big mini discs and are, hence the name, blue. Supposedly they have very small loading time and large, large storage capacity, more than that of a DVD I think.

Brian The Pink Shark
12-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Sony hasn't officially announced it yet, besides they are probably tied down working on the PSP right now :choc:

kikimm
12-04-2004, 04:40 PM
I've heard about it, but nothing that's probably too reliable at the moment. We all know it's coming, and that's about it. Personally, I think they should wait a bit longer before releasing new systems. It sort of bothers me that I'll go and spend 200, 150 bucks on this, and then in the next few years, I'm going to end up doing that again. But that might just be me.

:D

Chzn8r
12-04-2004, 04:51 PM
All this info we've known for a while now:

-It's coming in fall of 2006
-It uses new processor and disc technology that Sony themselves spent the money and time to develop

And that's uhhh... about it.

Oh, and why would Sony be "tied down with the PSP" right now? It's basically out in Japan, and not much will have to change for the US launch... the PSP is a very small project compared to the PS3 which they've been working on for years now, and early development of games (for all next gen systems) started in many places such as EA, earlier this year. Most developers however will jump on projects for the "new" systems (remember, Nintendo's and Sony's are still almost 2 years away) when their initial information is unveiled at E3 in 5 months.

Cz
12-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Sony should theoretically unveil the console at E3 2005, which would put the PS3 down for a late 2006 release. As those above have said, Sony is backing the Blu-Ray format, which it believes will be the major storage format of the future. It's fairly likely that the PS3 will use this type of disc, therefore.

But nothings actually been confirmed yet, so I suppose we'll just have to wait for some hard facts to crop up before discussing Sony's future.

Jojee
12-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Sounds nice ^_^

Sounds expensive. *twitch* T_T

Shoeberto
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
A long time ago I read an article about the disc format it's going to use, back then they were called "Blue Discs", they look like encased CDs, big mini discs and are, hence the name, blue. Supposedly they have very small loading time and large, large storage capacity, more than that of a DVD I think.
The technology is called Blu-Ray, actually. It's been in development for years, but I think they're just releasing it publicly soon. Like 25gb of storage compared to the 4.7 of today's DVDs.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-04-2004, 07:20 PM
I've heard about it, but nothing that's probably too reliable at the moment. We all know it's coming, and that's about it. Personally, I think they should wait a bit longer before releasing new systems. It sort of bothers me that I'll go and spend 200, 150 bucks on this, and then in the next few years, I'm going to end up doing that again. But that might just be me.

:D

Systems have generally come out in five-year intervals, I believe. So 2006 isn't very soon at all.

Cz
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
The technology is called Blu-Ray, actually. It's been in development for years, but I think they're just releasing it publicly soon. Like 25gb of storage compared to the 4.7 of today's DVDs.In fact, a single Blu-Ray disc is capable of storing 54 Gigabytes of data. That's an absolutely enormous amount of data, and a very impressive statistic to work with.

-N-
12-04-2004, 07:39 PM
I seriously was wondering why this thread was titled "Problem Set 3". Took me a while to figure out what it was.

Jojee
12-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Silly Neel xD

And wow, 54 gb (that's more than my computer stores >_>). Imagine the games to come out of that, then.... *_*

Dingo Jellybean
12-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Fall 2006? I thought it would be released in Fall 2005. Oh well, not like I'll get it. I'm at the point in my life where games just aren't fun enough anymore. I even let my brother take the PS2 with him since it just collects dust in the house.

The PS3 might do for the Blu-Ray Disc what the PS2 did for the DVD, and that is standardize it. Imagine an entire season of Smallville on one disc. Not bad. I mainly used the PS2 as a DVD player.

I'll probably wait until the PS3 drops really low and stuff and then get it as a cheap BRD player.

Shoeberto
12-04-2004, 10:28 PM
PS2 didn't really standardize the DVD, the DVD standardized itself.

Shlup
12-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Aren't all the next gen consoles gonna be unvealed at the next E3, or around that time? 'Cause I am not missing E3 again this year.

escobert
12-05-2004, 02:41 AM
I bet you won't

Baloki
12-05-2004, 03:51 AM

So their going back to cartredges again, ahh the good ol' days

pooter7799
12-05-2004, 05:23 AM
i dont have a ps2 yet so it better not come out right when i get the ps2

Cz
12-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Aren't all the next gen consoles gonna be unvealed at the next E3, or around that time? 'Cause I am not missing E3 again this year.Rumour has it that Microsoft might release details of its imaginitively named X-Box 2 at the Consumer Electronics this January. That might mean an earlier release date, too.

As for Nintendo, I have no idea, so I guess it's most likely to be at E3 alongside the PS3. That's going to be an awesome show.

Spritz
12-05-2004, 12:49 PM
So their going back to cartredges again, ahh the good ol' days

I hope the load speed is the same as it used to be x.x

I was never one for portable consoles so i'll probably be saving my cash for a PS3 (which will probably come out ages later in Europe ;-;)

E3 is looking good though =o should be alot of competition between the three if they're all unveiled there. Hopefully a few goo dtitles will be showen too! :o

Chzn8r
12-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Microsoft is coming with the Xbox 2/Next/Whatever in fall 2005, that's basically official. They've actually got a decent launch planned, with Perfect Dark 0, Half Life 2, and a bunch of other stuff slated to release with it.

edczxcvbnm
12-05-2004, 11:45 PM
XBox 2 in 2005 is no where near definite yet. To me it almost seems like 2006 is when they launch. What games have they shown? What hardware specs have they shown? The only reason it looks like they are launching then is because of XNA but that goes beyond X Box 2 and into the PC relm also.

Next year is not out of the question but it seems too early still when not much has really been mentioned. That and HD-DVD will barely be ready by next year this time and those players are going to cost $1000 a pop. It just doesn't sound like it is going to happen.

Chzn8r
12-06-2004, 09:43 PM
What games have they shown? What hardware specs have they shown?

They're presenting this in January...

SomethingBig
12-07-2004, 12:06 AM
The next Nintendo system is coming out before the others, just in case anyone's wondering. As for the PS3, Sony's going to unveil it at E3 2005. There's a game coming out for the PC that's also coming out for the PS3 that has screens on the net, somewhere. I forget what the game is or whether or not it's actually confirmed to be ported to the PS3, but all I know is that, from the screenshots that I've seen, it looks pretty amazing.

edczxcvbnm
12-07-2004, 01:01 AM
They're presenting this in January...

I was pwned :cry:

But seriously. I don't trust it just because of the whole XNA thing.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Sounds expensive. *twitch* T_T

ditto

Yamaneko
12-08-2004, 01:53 AM
NVIDIA moves from XBox to PS3, and Microsoft looks to ATI for a graphics boost in its next-gen console. (http://news.com.com/Nvidia+to+work+on+PlayStation+3+chip/2100-1047_3-5481502.html)

Chzn8r
12-08-2004, 04:11 AM
The next Nintendo system is coming out before the others, just in case anyone's wondering. As for the PS3, Sony's going to unveil it at E3 2005. There's a game coming out for the PC that's also coming out for the PS3 that has screens on the net, somewhere. I forget what the game is or whether or not it's actually confirmed to be ported to the PS3, but all I know is that, from the screenshots that I've seen, it looks pretty amazing.

Eeep. Nintendo is following Sony's suit. It's only Microsoft that's jumping the gun (4 year instead of 5+ year cycle). And why would Nintendo release a new console already when the new Zelda is coming halfway through next year, and there's even talk of the next official Mario platformer making a 2005 release as well.

Anyways... there have been some screens around of what next gen EA games might look like, and they look badass (Madden and Need For Speed I think were the pics I saw)

And you can bet your bubble, these systems WILL be seen at E3 in May.

edczxcvbnm
12-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Sony will show off the system but it isn't coming out till near the end of 2006. The Cell and Blue-Ray will not be ready by this time next year for any sort of roll-out.

The PS3 game you could be talking about is Morrowind: Elder Scrolls 4...or what ever it is called.