PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion on next game to play

i-kant
12-04-2004, 08:36 PM
since last summer, I "discovered" the world of RPG's, and since then with my trusty SNES simulator, I have played:

FFV
FFIV
FFVI

Chrono Trigger

I don't have any more FF series or Chrono series games on SNES roms anymore. I found FF Mystic Quest but it looks really pixelated, after playing chrono I don't think I can handle pixellated gfx and bad user interface.

My friend just ordered FFVII, FFVIII from ebay, and after he's done with them, I get to borrow them (for the PC).

But until then, what game (FF or otherwise) can I play that allows me to enjoy all the wonderful aspects of the above games again?

I love the story first and foremost, character cutomization comes second, and third is the gameplay, gfx should be better than FFIV at least.

help...i need to satisfy my addiction. :D

TheSpoonyBard
12-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Well I guess VII should be next so you get to experience the changes the Final Fantasy series has gone through over time, but as both VII and VIII are on their way, I suggest IX or X, and only play X-2 after X or you won't understand a thing. Personally I played them in order, but its all a matter of personal choice.

As for other games, try the Star Ocean series, Breath Of Fire series, Grandia I or II or Kingdom Hearts. All of these (except KH*) comform to the basic RPG formula which we have learned to love and cherish so much.

*Kingdom Hearts is more action based, but it has some evidence of ROG influence such as levels, experience, abilities, magic, accessories, party members...ok, it has pretty much everything except random turn-based battles.

Dragoon Kain
12-04-2004, 09:48 PM
ok some games i like that i have for my emulator are:
magic knight rayearth. japanese game translated to english. its fun.
super mario rpg is fun.
tales of phantasia.
bahamut lagoon. another japanese game translated to english.
star ocean.

Cleric
12-05-2004, 01:48 AM
I would definately play FFIX if you were really into all the other ffs that you played. I say this because it's loaded with references to those other ff games. I would also recommend playing Final Fantasy Origins or Dawn of Souls(both feature ffI and ffII, but origins is for ps and souls is for GBA.) And since you have an emulator find this game called Ogre Battle. Its an awesome RPG that is time consuming but really worth playing.

Raistlin
12-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Get FF7 and FFTactics. FF7 is a solid game, and FFT is the best FF ever made. You should just ignore everything made after FFT(FF8 and on), because you'll just make your head hurt from the crying.

However, you should realize that the PC version of FF7 has been known to suck really really bad at times.

After those two, I'd advise going onto different series. There's Suikoden, Lunar, and Breath of Fire, to name a few. Suikoden is, in my humble opinion, the best RPG series out there. And Lunar SSSC has the best characters and plot. However, none of these are for the PC. Save yourself the trouble and spend the $.50 to get a PS1.

Remnant
12-06-2004, 06:12 AM
I ended up buying a used PS1 cheap from a game dealer, and picked up copies of the FFs on PS1. Worth the expense, which wasn't too bad.

I have VII on my computer- on my old computer I had to set the resolution low to get through one of the FMVs without locking up. On my new laptop one of the minigames runs so fast (or maybe its just relative) I felt lucky to get through it.

The spoiler below is that minigame... if you haven't played VII, don't read it, really.

Leaving Midgar. I could barely keep the bikes off the car, ended up wildly flailing at them and trying to ram them to death.

Behold the Void
12-06-2004, 08:37 AM
FFVI is awsome. Play it. The power of evil compels you.