PDA

View Full Version : An end to controlers?

ChibiInuYasha
12-05-2004, 06:58 PM
I belive it's near. With such a positive reaction to dance-simulators and EyeToy. I don't think there will be much use for contolers much longer. (Have you played that new Hover Board game w/ EyeToy?!) Just imagine and RPG where you walk around. Scrolling menus would simply be touch screen. Sports games where you run around and jump and push to tackle. Imagine it! Games are getting more interactive all the time. Do you think this is what's in the future for Gaming?

Xander
12-05-2004, 07:02 PM
I hope not. I like controllers. ;__;

Dking'squeen
12-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Just imagin the damage to the house with those guys and thier eye toy sports games! I feel sorry to the family who has them, for the fact theat you're house will be a mes. Can you imagin the two player games?

Chzn8r
12-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Controllers won't be REPLACED, no. They may become better, and they may be right alongside special input methods (Bongos, Dance Pads, Mics, Cameras), but come on... you expect games so demanding in physical activity, especially just to do simple routines of gameplay, to catch on with most gamers?

Eö Telrúnya
12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Controllers will never die! They'll just have more and more buttons on them every year. I hear they're making a 50 foot long controller with 6,000+ buttons for the new X-Box console. :D

Cz
12-06-2004, 06:04 PM
I hope not. I like controllers. ;__;

Tidus Andronicus
12-06-2004, 06:31 PM
I believe that someday controlers wont be nessisary... If you've ever watched the Discovery Science channel, you'd see how close we are to creating games that just work of our brainwaves ^_^

I can't wait until they can do that well.

I would also like a way to get rid of the game screens... maybe some way of filling a game screen up to fit your field of view... or some kind of virtual reality goggles xD

Doomgaze
12-06-2004, 08:22 PM
http://gr.bolt.com/articles/rants/powerglove.jpg

blue_midget192
12-06-2004, 09:12 PM
wow! how much did that cost?

Doomgaze
12-07-2004, 12:38 AM
I don't remember. $80 or so, I think? I never got one, they were clearly retarded :)

Necronopticous
12-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Controllers are what get me out of bed in the morning.

Lindy
12-07-2004, 01:54 AM
I'm guessing you people have never seen the Steel Battallion controller?

50 or 60+ buttons, four foot pedals, two joysticks. It comes with it's own manual just for the control explanations, which do everything from launching missles and chaff grenades to wind screen wipers that clear away the mud that collects on your robot's windows.

Clearly the reason it didn't shift next to any copies of the game.

And what games WERE designed for the power glove? Seriously, you're making me want to search right now.

Erdrick Holmes
12-07-2004, 02:04 AM
If they remove controllers then there won't be a use for fighting games... I'd probably hang myself with my PS2 controller if that ever happened.

Shoeberto
12-07-2004, 03:16 AM
Actually, I heard Midway was working on a new fighting franchise that utilized the Eyetoy...it's a spinoff of the MK games that utilizes a DDR-style gameplay to imitate actual formal karate techniques for fighting the enemies. As long as Scorpion's in it I'm down. mkownz

blue_midget192
12-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Controllers are what get me out of bed in the morning.

you see how essencial contollers are every one! :greenking

Maxico
12-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Oh my god. Necronopticous is a sim!

anyways I have seen the steel batalion controler. Its the size of 3 X-boxs (i.e. luxomburg.)

DMKA
12-08-2004, 05:55 PM
No...I like controllers. Then again I don't play games anymore so meh.

Spritz
12-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Controlers won't ever end. Aslong as most gamers don't feel like having to thrust their arm to the right every time they want to talk to an NPC or open a menu instead of pressing a simple button on a hand-held control, controllers will reign suprme.

Although I do predict a change in controller design, involving the vibrate function, aimed at lonely males.

Garland
12-10-2004, 06:01 AM
I play videogames so that I don't have to exert myself. If I wanted to dance, which I don't, I'd go dance. I don't need to buy a fancy pad to pretend I'm dancing on television. I have a radio. I have a floor. If I want to play a fighting game, I don't really want to get up and wrestle my friend to see the action translated on screen. They have bicycle racing games that use exercise bikes as controllers. I have a bicycle already, and the real world looks more realistic than the image on tv. Why in the world would anyone want controlling a videogame to entail doing the action physically that you see on the screen? If you're going to go and do whatever physically anyway, why waste $50 on a game?

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-10-2004, 06:53 AM
It's uneconomical to end the use of controllers. Think about it, how much more would games cost if they all came with their own controllers? A standardized controller for every system (or what would really be cool, one controller that fits every system) is so much easier.

DMKA
12-10-2004, 07:26 AM
I play videogames so that I don't have to exert myself. If I wanted to dance, which I don't, I'd go dance. I don't need to buy a fancy pad to pretend I'm dancing on television. I have a radio. I have a floor. If I want to play a fighting game, I don't really want to get up and wrestle my friend to see the action translated on screen. They have bicycle racing games that use exercise bikes as controllers. I have a bicycle already, and the real world looks more realistic than the image on tv. Why in the world would anyone want controlling a videogame to entail doing the action physically that you see on the screen? If you're going to go and do whatever physically anyway, why waste $50 on a game?
Holy crap someone else ponders some of what I do!

Yeah Garland, I've been asking that ever since I found out what DDR was. Doesn't mean I won't play them, but I certainly won't go pay $100s of dollars to play one...like so many people are doing lately. :p

Peegee
12-11-2004, 05:00 PM
There's a martial arts DDR game (yes I am serious) that uses a simplified motion detector for its movements. That's about as close to free-moving as you can get. As for holographic buttons, that's VERY expensive technology, so not for another 10 years IMO