PDA

View Full Version : RPG Maker 2000

Red Skull
12-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Yeah, uh, I need some help with this game or whatever it is...

My questions are:

1. How do you make the 'New Game' and 'Load Game' appear when starting the game because mine are invisible and I have no idea where I can fix that. Actually, I can't see any text at all... anywhere. :confused:

2. How do I make an intro of any kind? I want the hero to begin talking at the intro to his guys.

3. How do I make a squence where the hero moves by himself and stuff like that?

Thanks in advance.

BlkKnight
12-06-2004, 02:46 AM
1) You can only make a new game or open another one if you close the game that you're in.

2) Set an event to autostart and take it from there.

3) Read the help file.

Red Skull
12-06-2004, 12:02 PM
No I mean, I can't see the text in the game... Some kind of font error maybe, I don't know. That's why I'm asking for help.

The help section SUCKS, I can't get any info from there.

BlkKnight
12-06-2004, 03:34 PM
In that case, you'll want to make sure you have the RM2k font patch installed (google search it). If you really feel the help file is that useless (though I figured out all the basic functions through that) try the xcalibur help file found at this site. (http://rpgmaker.finalgaming.net/tools.php)

Red Skull
12-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Thank you so much... but one problem... I got the font patch and it isn't able to apply, it says that it has done so but I still can't see the text.

EDIT: Font Problem Completely Solved. My humblest thanks to you ... RSL something. Someone can close this.

Eö Telrúnya
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
RPG Maker XP is out (well, kinda) - maybe you should try that? It's really cool, because it has lots of features that RPG Maker 2000/2003 don't have. Also, the graphics are cuter, the program is more stable ... and there's lots of new chipsets to choose from!

BlkKnight
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Right now, RMXP probably isn't the greatest thing to use unless you want to learn its scripting language (which according to some RPG Maker sites, is one of the worst ones they could use.) If you want to do anything the maker doesn't let you do (like 2k3's side-view Active Time Battles,) you have to program it yourself. XP also puts limitations on originality since it's generally harder to create appropriate original characters and creatures (or ripped stuff) that looks proper in XP's color depth. So unless you really know what you're doing, or have the patience to create a bunch of stuff to make it do what you want, I'd avoid RMXP right now.

Red Skull
12-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Ok, wait don't close it. How do you end an event so that you can walk around with your character again? And how do I make the stairs/door/passage actually LEAD somewhere?

BlkKnight
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
For your first question. You must learn switches and variables. You'll need to do something like set a switch at the end of the event and then create a second blank page in the event that only activates if that switch is on. This new page doesn't have any information in it so the autostart event ends right then and there. If you don't understand the concept, there's plenty of tutorials out there.

For your second question, all you need to do is make sure the map you're linking to is created, go into the event layer, right-click the tile you want to link to, and select the move event option. The rest is self-explanatory.

Red Skull
12-07-2004, 06:04 PM
The switch thing doesn't work and every help tutorial completely sucks.. Could you please it more specifically?

Doomgaze
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
This might be beyond your current ability, then =/

Maybe you could fiddle with QBASIC a bit, learn the basic programming concepts, then apply those to RPGMaker? It's harder to learn programming with a goofy GUI to learn as well.

Red Skull
12-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Ok nevermid that, I found a tutorial.

New question!

How do I make an area switch from day to night?

Or is it even possible?

BlkKnight
12-09-2004, 04:25 PM
There's already TONS of tutorials on how to make that system. You're better off looking at one of those.

Wuggly Blight
12-09-2004, 10:48 PM
rpg maker xp is pretty sucky really, I prefer to use rm2k3

Red Skull
12-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Actually I bothered you when I could've searched Google and found them easy, which I did. I apologise. I swear I have no further questions.

Fate Fatale
12-11-2004, 04:45 AM
This Thread reminds me... need to work on my game... I suggest that you reload the RTP, I had trouble with that awhil back... It should work after that... if it doesn't work the fist time you do it, try it 2 or three more times...