PDA

View Full Version : Question about aerith

Xyphox
12-06-2004, 03:57 AM
people keep saying that aerith is the japanese name. However, there is no "th" character. There's a "a" a "e" a "ri", but no "t" or "h". So if anybody has played the japanese version, could you give please tell me what her actual name is? thanks

my friend just told me it's eerisu = aeris

thanks anyways

TheAbominatrix
12-06-2004, 03:59 AM
It has to do with the pronunciation of the words. The 's' sounds like a 'th' sound, just like the 'la' sounds like a 'ra'.

edit: I mean in the language in general.

Xyphox
12-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Actually my friend speaks japanese and i am taking it in college. In the 'sa' line the 's' sounds like an English 's'. There is no 'la' line. In japanese the 'ra' line makes a hard 'L' sound.

TheAbominatrix
12-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Excuse me for not getting it exactly right. I dont know, nor do I really care for the semantics. I type it how I hear it.

edit: oh and by the way, it also depends on who you're talking to. Many Japanese have a hard time pronouncing 'la' or the l in general. My friend's girlfriend is Japanese, and he amused their parents by being able to go 'la la la' when they couldnt manage it.

Xyphox
12-06-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm just saying that they don't pronounce it aerith in japan, it's aeris. Sorry if i offended you.

Eö Telrúnya
12-06-2004, 06:32 PM
If you say "Aerith", people think you have a lisp. So, I stick to "Aeris". ;)

Xyphox
12-07-2004, 06:40 AM
ha! wow i was thinking that today too. Aerith just sounds like aeris with a lisp.