PDA

View Full Version : Big Internet Problem

Fighter
12-06-2004, 04:31 AM
I have a problem displaying web pages on the net. I can connect to the net fine, but no web pages can be displayed. I've called my ISP (Optus) several times and they have changes the settings and made a new connection, but were unable to fix the problem. I believe the problem was caused from installing Spy Sweeper, which changed some of my net settings. Even after uninstalling Spy Sweeper, I still have this problem. Please help!

crono_logical
12-06-2004, 04:41 AM
You could try downloading Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) on another computer, burn that to CD, then install that on your machine. Firefox doesn't use IE's settings, so if it's just those that's screwed up, Firefox will work fine.

If Firefox doesn't work either, then it's something deeper in the OS settings that's broken - you might want to try reinstalling your connection from the CD your ISP gave you, or even reinstall Windows to take it back to a clean state within one hour :p

Samuraid
12-06-2004, 05:03 AM
I would agree. Some spyware/addblocker programs change the proxy settings in internet explorer which can cause pages to stop loading correctly.

Firefox (as stated by ...RS_Logical) would be a wise decision. :D

Other than that, it could be a cranky DNS.

Fighter
12-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Thanks, I'll try that and post again after i've tried it.

Fighter
12-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Firefox didn't work so I completely re-formatted my computer. The net works fine now. Thanks for all your help guys :).