PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Proxy Servers

Doc Sark
12-06-2004, 12:44 PM
I am a very frustrated young man. Having recently purchased everquest to get a taste for MMORPG's before I get FFXI at xmas, I have discovered that my university halls proxy server/firewall won't let me connect to the server. Can anyone help me get over this problem?

Shoeberto
12-06-2004, 09:02 PM
You could check with the server admin to see if he could forward the ports for your IP (I'm assuming you've got static IPs there.)

If your admin isn't nice enough to do that, then you may be SOL, unless you'd want to try and hack the firewall yourself to set it up.

Baloki
12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Be careful bypassing university proxies is usually an expuslsion offence if you get caught, see your local computer society for exact details on tunneling out :D

Doc Sark
12-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Me try and hack a firewall??? :confused: That would be like watching a man with no arms and no legs try to climb a ladder!!!! :D I thought it would be a tough task, thanks for the advice though guys.

Dr Unne
12-07-2004, 05:27 AM
You can use an SSH tunnel, if you have a proxy you can use that's outside the firewall. All the firewall needs is one port that's open, and you can tunnel whatever you want through it. I don't know how to set this up in Windows though. It's fairly trivial in Linux though. And you'd have to find a proxy.

Samuraid
12-07-2004, 06:15 AM
Wouldn't that be an SSL tunnel?

Dr Unne
12-07-2004, 08:30 AM
On Linux you use SSH to do it. I've never heard it called anything other than SSH tunnel.

crono_logical
12-07-2004, 01:00 PM
PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) is a nice lightweight SSH client for Windows that supports SSH tunnelling if you don't feel like installing something bigger like Cygwin. But as Unne said though, you'll need a proxy (in the form of an SSH server, likely a Linux machine) outside the firewall which you have access to to do this.

Doc Sark
12-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Ok. Thanks for the links Farah, and further info Dr. Unne.

So how do I go about finding an open SSH port outside of the firewall. How do I know if I have access to one?

Devourment
12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
This site will let you bypasss proxys

www.@nonymouse.com

there you go mate!!!

if it dosent work then try it on google & click on the second one from the top of the page! ;)